- Meaning: “Most holy” or “silver.”
- Gender: Ariana is typically a girl’s name.
- Origin: Ariana has its origin in the name of the Greek goddess Ariadne.
- Pronunciation: “are-ee-AHN-uh”
- Popularity: Very popular and inside the top 100 most common names.
- Nicknames: Ari, Aria, Riana, Rina, Riri.
- Variations: Arianna, Ariona, Aryana, Ariane, Ariyana.
- Namesakes: Ariana Grande, Ariana DeBose, Arianna Huffington.
- What Does Ariana Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Ariana?
- How Popular Is the Name Ariana?
- How Do I Pronounce Ariana?
- Is Ariana a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Ariana
- Nicknames for Ariana
- Similar Names to Ariana
- Middle Names for Ariana
- Sibling Names for Ariana
- Famous People Named Ariana
- Ariana in Popular Culture
- Ariana FAQs
What Does Ariana Mean?
Ariana is a beautiful name that means two different things depending on its two different uses. First, in Welsh, Ariana means silver. Second, Ariana is a Latinized version of the Greek goddess Ariadne that is derived from the prefix “ari,” meaning “most,” and “adnos,” meaning “holy.” (1).
There are also ties to the Latin root Arianus which was a term to refer to the people living in ancient Iran. This is where the term Aryan comes from.
What Is the Origin of the Name Ariana?
Though the Welsh culture and language started to use the name Ariana because of the word arian (which means silver), the real origin of this beautiful girl’s name is in Latin.
When learning Greek mythology, the ancient Romans Latinized a lot of the names of people, places, and things in the tales to make them easier to say/understand.
The name Ariana comes from the Greek Ariadne (2). Ariadne was the wife of the wine god Dionysus who helped Theseus escape the Minotaur.
How Popular Is the Name Ariana?
The name Ariana first entered the 1000 most common names for baby girls in the United States in the year 1978. Then since the 1980s, it has been steadily gaining popularity.
Ariana reached its peak of popularity in the year 2014 when it ranked as the 37th most popular baby girl name. Since 2014, it has lost a bit of popularity, dropping a few slots each year. In 2021, it was back down to 88th most popular (3).
Though Ariana is falling each year, it still remains inside the top 100 and therefore is very popular.
How Do I Pronounce Ariana?
The proper pronunciation of this Latin-originating girl’s name is “are-ee-AHN-ah.”
Is Ariana a Boy or Girl Name?
Ariana is a girl’s name. It is most popularly given to girls, but there is a Welsh variation of the name for boys: Arian.
Variations of Ariana
Ariana comes in many different variations and spellings. We’ve listed all the common spellings here:
Nicknames for Ariana
Because it’s very important to have cute nicknames available for your sweet baby Ariana, we have listed some of our favorites for you to try out:
Similar Names to Ariana
If you like the name Ariana, but you’re not sure that it’s the right fit, check out this list of some baby girl names that look, sound, or feel similar to the name Ariana.
Middle Names for Ariana
When choosing a first name for your baby, you’re surely also thinking about what middle name will go nicely with it. If you are stuck on what middle name to give your little Ariana, check some of these out:
- Ariana Belle
- Ariana Camila
- Ariana Claire
- Ariana Christina
- Ariana Elise
- Ariana Hope
- Ariana Joy
- Ariana Leigh
- Ariana Lily
- Ariana Madeline
- Ariana Margot
- Ariana Nicole
- Ariana Olivia
- Ariana Penelope
- Ariana Rose
- Ariana Samantha
- Ariana Sarah
- Ariana Tate
- Ariana Vanessa
- Ariana Victoria
Sibling Names for Ariana
If you’re thinking about trying to name Ariana’s little brother or sister, we’ve got you covered as well. Here are some cute names that work well as a sibling for Ariana:
For a brother:
- Ariana and Adam
- Ariana and Brayden
- Ariana and Caleb
- Ariana and Devon
- Ariana and Ellis
- Ariana and Finn
- Ariana and Hunter
- Ariana and Jordan
- Ariana and Lucas
- Ariana and Miles
- Ariana and Nolan
- Ariana and Oliver
- Ariana and Riley
- Ariana and Zachary
For a sister:
- Ariana and Ashley
- Ariana and Bianca
- Ariana and Blaire
- Ariana and Caroline
- Ariana and Daniela
- Ariana and Estella
- Ariana and Isabella
- Ariana and Julia
- Ariana and Naomi
- Ariana and Olivia
- Ariana and Rosalie
- Ariana and Sadie
- Ariana and Serena
- Ariana and Sophia
- Ariana and Vanessa
Famous People Named Ariana
The most famous person with the name Ariana is by far Ariana Grande, but there are a few other notable Arianas that you’ll want to know about as well:
- Ariana DeBose: An American actress and singer.
- Ariana Grande: An American actress and singer.
- Arianna Huffington: A co-founder of the Huffington Post.
- Ariana Rockefeller: An American fashion designer.
- Princess Ariane of the Netherlands: The youngest daughter of the King and Queen of the Netherlands.
Ariana in Popular Culture
There are also quite a few characters named Ariana that many people know and love. Here are some of the most notable:
- Ariana Dumbledore: A character in the “Harry Potter” series.
- Arianna “Ari” Langley: The main character in the “Unicorns of Balinor” book series.
- Ariane: The main character in “Ariane et Barbe-bleue”, the opera.
- Arianne Martell: A character in “The Song of Ice and Fire” series.
- Queen Arianna: A character in “Tangled: The Series.”
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the name Ariana.