- Meaning: Eliana means “God has answered,” “mercy,” “bright,” and “daughter of the sun.”
- Gender: Eliana is traditionally known as a feminine name.
- Origin: Eliana is said to have a Hebrew, Greek, and Latin origin. It originates from the Hebrew words el and ana which mean “God has answered.” Eliana also originated from the Latin name Aeliana from the male name Aelianus.
- Pronunciation: Eliana is pronounced el-ee-ah-nuh.
- Popularity: Eliana gained popularity in the last two decades starting in 2001. In 2016, it finally earned a top 100 spot in popularity. It has steadily grown since, and as of 2020, it is ranked at 53.
- Nicknames: Ana, Ella, Elle, Ellia, Ellie, Lana, Lanie, Lia, and Lena.
- Variations: Elaine, Aeliana, Ellyanah, Illyana, and Ellianna.
- Namesakes: Eliana Aleixo, Eliana Jones, Eliana de Lima, Eliana Bezerra, Eliana Pittman, and Eliana Ramos.
- What Does Eliana Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Eliana?
- How Popular Is the Name Eliana?
- How Do I Pronounce Eliana?
- Is Eliana a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Eliana
- Nicknames for Eliana
- Similar Names to Eliana
- Middle Names for Eliana
- Sibling Names for Eliana
- Famous People Named Eliana
- Eliana in Popular Culture
- Eliana FAQs
What Does Eliana Mean?
Eliana is a name that has multiple theories of origin and meaning attached to it. The most prevalent one is that Eliana is of Hebrew origin and means “God has answered.”
Eliana can also mean “mercy” or “daughter of the sun.” Another translation in Arabic means “bright star,” which resonates with the Greek meaning of the name.
What Is the Origin of the Name Eliana?
The name Eliana derives from the root word el, meaning “deity,” and the other root word ana meaning “answered” (1). So, the name Eliana literally combines to form the meaning “God answered.”
Another theory says that the name is of Greek origin and means “mercy.” Eliana may also derive from the old Latin name Aeliana, the feminine version of the name Aelianus. Both names are related to the Greek word helios, meaning “god of the sun.”
So the remaining definition of the name Eliana could be “daughter of the sun” or even “bright star” if you translate it from Arabic.
How Popular Is the Name Eliana?
Eliana has not always been a popular name given to newborns. In fact, it just recently ranked on the Social Security Administration’s list of popular names (2). Since it ranked as 537 in 2000, it has steadily increased in popularity, breaking into the top 100 in 2016 at the 93rd spot.
Eliana is a common name in countries like Spain, Italy, Portugal, Israel, and Russia. As of 2020, Eliana still holds a top 100 spot at number 53. It does show signs that it will continue to remain popular in the future.
How Do I Pronounce Eliana?
The name Eliana is pronounced el-ee-ah-nuh.
Is Eliana a Boy or Girl Name?
Eliana is traditionally a girl’s name though it derives from an older masculine version of the Latin name Aelianus.
Variations of Eliana
Eliana is mostly popular in Latin and Spanish countries like Portugal, Italy, Brazil, and Spain. Its way around Europe and the Americas revealed newer variations of the English version.
Here are a few of them:
- Elaine (French)
- Aeliana (Latin)
- Eliyanah (Hebrew)
- Illyana (Spanish/Latin)
- Ellianna (English)
Nicknames for Eliana
Nicknames are fun to give and sometimes much easier to say than the person’s actual name! Eliana comes with plenty of catchy nicknames that aren’t the embarrassing kind and flow of the tongue.
Here are a few that are sure to stick around:
Similar Names to Eliana
If you are experimenting with names but want something similar in style to the name Eliana, then here are a few eye-catching choices:
Middle Names for Eliana
Eliana as a first name will surely grab all the attention, but pairing it with the perfect middle name will make it more enchanting.
Here are a few to pick from:
Sibling Names for Eliana
Eliana is a majestic name that flows right off the tongue. It’s only fitting that a little brother or sister also gets a name that is just as intriguing.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Eliana
Most of the famous people named Eliana are of Brazilian origin due to its high popularity in the South American region. Check out these famous names ranging from athletes to singers to actresses:
- Eliana Aleixo: Brazilian volleyball player.
- Eliana Jones: Canadian Actress.
- Eliana de Lima: Brazilian musician.
- Eliana Michaelichin Bezerra: Brazilian actress and recording artist.
- Eliana Pittman: Brazilian actress and singer.
- Eliana Ramos: Uruguayan model.
Eliana in Popular Culture
There are not many movie characters or video game avatars with the name Eliana. But there are a few hidden from the spotlight, including a DC Comics character and a female warrior.
- Eliana: An Amazon warrior adapted from the DC film Wonder Woman.
- Eliana Ferracora: Character from the fantasy book series Furyborn.
- Elliana, Elliana: An indonesian film.
Want to know a little bit more about the name Eliana? Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions from other curious people.
Is Eliana a Saint Name?
There is no saint named Eliana, but there is one named Elian. Saint Elian was martyred for refusing to renounce Christianity. A church was built in Syria to honor him with a feast held there every year to celebrate his courage.
Is Eliana a Rare Name?
Eliana was a rare name up into his spike in popularity in the early 2010s. It isn’t the most popular name, but it started to gain more attention in recent years. In the United States alone, 4,038 babies were named Eliana in 2020 (0.23% of all female births).
Is Eliana an Italian Name?
The name does have a lot of popularity with Italians though it did not originate from that country. It is considered to be a Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian name with Hebrew roots.