- Meaning: The name Nicole is derived from the masculine Greek Nicolas and means “victory of the people”.
- Gender: Nicole is a name traditionally given to girls.
- Origin: The name Nicole originated in France as a feminine companion to the masculine Greek name Nicolas. It began use in honor of St. Nicolas.
- Pronunciation: The name Nicole is pronounced as ni-Kohl.
- Popularity: Nicole is a popular name that saw a peak in the 1980s.
- Nicknames: Cole, Coley, Nic, Nicky, Nika, Nikki.
- Variations: Colette, Nicola, Nicolette, Nicolina, Nika, Nicol, Nicolau.
- Namesakes: Nicole Kidman, American actress; Nicole Polizzi, American reality television star; Nicole Scherzinger, American singer-songwriter and dancer.
- What Does Nicole Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Nicole?
- How Popular is the Name Nicole?
- How Do I Pronounce Nicole?
- Is Nicole a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Nicole
- Nicknames for Nicole
- Similar Names to Nicole
- Middle Names for Nicole
- Sibling Names for Nicole
- Famous People Named Nicole
- Nicole in Popular Culture
- Nicole FAQs
What Does Nicole Mean?
Nicole is the feminine French counterpart to the name Nicolas, which originated in Greece but became popular in other countries such as France over time.
Because Nicole is originally derived from the Greek Nicolas, it shares part of its meaning as “victory of the people”.
You can interpret this meaning both as the child is a gift to its parents and community and the child being considered gifted and destined to be victorious in life.
What is the Origin of the Name Nicole?
Nicole is the feminine counterpart to the name Nicolas.
The name Nicolas originated in Greece but became a popular name in other European countries, such as France. To feminize the name, the French version of Nicole was created.
The original name of Nicolas is derived from the Greek words nike, which means victory, and laos, which means people. Thus, the name’s origin is “victory of the people”.
The name Nicolas became very popular as a way to honor St. Nicolas. Parents with girl babies also hoped to celebrate St. Nicolas, and so the French Nicole was popularized.
How Popular is the Name Nicole?
The name Nicole has its origins in the Middle Ages, so its widespread use in history has a long timeline.
The late 1960s is when the name Nicole began to see a rise in popularity, breaking into the top one hundred most popular girl’s names in the years 1967 and 1968.
It only rose, becoming the tenth most popular girl’s name in 1972.
The name Nicole saw its peak in the 1980s, becoming the sixth most popular girl’s name in 1982. The name saw another surge of popularity in the early 2000s, reaching the fortieth most popular girl’s name in 2003.
Since then, the name has slightly declined but still remains popular in recent years.
At present, the name has remained within the top three hundred most popular names for several years (1).
How Do I Pronounce Nicole?
The name Nicole is pronounced as ni-Kohl. The name has two syllables. If you are familiar with the name Nicolas or Nicholas, it is pronounced similarly without the final syllable.
Is Nicole a Boy or Girl Name?
Nicole has traditionally been used as a name for girls. The masculine counterpart to Nicole is Nicolas and has been used as a name for boys.
The majority of people named Nicole are girls, and the most famous people with the name Nicole are all girls.
However, Nicole was used as a name for boys in ancient times.
Variations of Nicole
Nicole has several variations that speak to its origins.
- Colette (French)
- Nicola (Italian, Greek)
- Nicolette (French)
- Nicolina (Greek)
- Nika (Russian)
- Nicol (English)
- Nicolau (Portuguese)
Nicknames for Nicole
Here are some of the fun and popular nicknames for the name Nicole.
Similar Names to Nicole
Some names that are similar to Nicole and may inspire you.
Middle Names for Nicole
Nicole works well with many different middle names, especially those that share its French origins.
Sibling Names for Nicole
Parents who name their children Nicole may enjoy these sibling names which fit well.
Famous People Named Nicole
You’re probably most familiar with Nicole Kidman, who is perhaps the most famous holder of this moniker. Here are some other stars that share the name.
- Nicole Dollanganger: Canadian singer-songwriter.
- Nicole Jung: Korean-American singer.
- Nicole Kidman: Australian-American actress and singer.
- Nicole Polizzi: American reality television star, star of Jersey Shore.
- Nicole Richie: American socialite.
- Nicole Ross: American Olympic foil fencer.
- Nicole Scherzinger: American singer-songwriter and dancer, lead singer of The Pussycat Dolls.
- Nicole Stott: American Astronaut.
Nicole in Popular Culture
- Nicole Bristow: Character in the Nickelodeon show Zoey 101.
- Nicole des Jardins Wakefield: Character in the sequels to Rendezvous With Rama.
- Nicole Walker: Character on the American soap opera Days of Our Lives.
- Nicole Wallace: Character on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
- Nicole Watterson: Character from The Amazing World of Gumball.