- Meaning: Elise means “God is my oath” in French. It is also short for Elisheba. In Hebrew, Elisheba means “God is satisfaction.”
- Gender: Elise is primarily a name for girls.
- Origin: The name Elise originated in France.
- Pronunciation: In English and French, Elise is pronounced ih-LEES or ih-LEEZ. In German and Scandinavian, it is pronounced eh-LEE-Zah.
- Popularity: The name Elise was first popular in France in the 17th century. Since 2000, it has been among the top 300 most popular names in the United States. It is also very popular in Sweden.
- Nicknames: Elisee, Elsa, Lou Lou, Lissie.
- Variations: Alyse, Elize, Lise.
- Namesakes: Elise Averdieck, German social activist; Elise Frosslind, Swedish opera singer; Elise Neal, American actress.
- What Does Elise Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Elise?
- How Popular Is the Name Elise?
- How Do I Pronounce Elise?
- Is Elise a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Elise
- Nicknames for Elise
- Similar Names to Elise
- Middle Names for Elise
- Sibling Names for Elise
- Famous People Named Elise
- Elise in Pop Culture
- Elise FAQs
What Does Elise Mean?
The meaning of Elise can vary slightly, but it is rooted in religion. In French, Elise means “God is my oath” or “pledged to God.”
Elise is derived from the Hebrew name Elisheba, which means “oath of God” or “God is satisfaction.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Elise?
Elise originates from France. Initially, it was only a diminutive of Elizabeth, but it is now a stand-alone option.
How Popular Is the Name Elise?
Since the beginning of the 21st century, Elise has been a popular name for girls in the United States. Today, it falls within the top 300 names. Elise was most popular in 2012 when it ranked number 151 (1).
In France, the name Elise was first popular in the 17th century. Then, in the 19th century, it became a popular English name. At present, it is most popular in Sweden, where it has fallen within the top 40 names.
How Do I Pronounce Elise?
In English and French, Elise is pronounced with two syllables. It can be pronounced ih-LEES or ih-LEEZ.
In German and Scandinavian, however, Elise is pronounced with three syllables. In these cases, it is pronounced eh-LEE-Zah.
Is Elise a Boy or Girl Name?
Elise is most often a girl’s name. However, some parents name their boys Elise.
Variations of Elise
The name Elise has been around for centuries, and many variations have appeared over time. Some of the most creative and popular include:
Nicknames for Elise
Although Elise is a beautiful name, some people enjoy catchy nicknames. Here are a few for your consideration:
- Lou Lou
Similar Names to Elise
If you like the name Elise but want to mix it up a bit, give thought to these similar names:
Middle Names for Elise
Have you selected Elise as the name for your baby? Then it is time for the next step: choosing a middle name. We have listed some below:
Sibling Names for Elise
After naming your child Elise, you may be searching for the perfect name for a new sibling. Here are some sibling names to pair with Elise:
For a Brother
For a Sister
Famous People Named Elise
People named Elise have achieved fame through many means. Whether you wish to name your child after a politician, athlete, artist, or actress, Elise is a great option. The following are some famous people named Elise (2):
- Elise Averdieck: German social activist
- Elise Burgin: American tennis player
- Elise Crombez: Belgian model
- Elise Frosslind: Swedish opera singer
- Elise Hove Thorsnes: Norwegian football player
- Elise Mourant: New Zealand artist
- Elise Neal: American actress
- Elise Stefanik: New York Congresswoman
- Elise Testone: American singer/songwriter
Elise in Pop Culture
The popularity of names ebbs and flows depending, in part, upon the presence of references to the name in pop culture. The name Elise found a foothold in pop culture for centuries. Some examples include:
- Elise: Character from the game “Animal Crossing.”
- Elise: Character from the horror movie “Insidious.”
- Elise de la Serre: Character in the video game “Assassin’s Creed: Unity.”
- Elise Stellas: Character in the TV show “The Adjustment Bureau.”
- Elise Whisks: Character from the book series “Selection.”
- “Für Elise”: One of Beethoven’s most famous piano solo pieces.
- “Letter to Elise”: Song by The Cure.
Do you want to know more? Here are a few more facts about the name Elise.