- Meaning: The name Alexis means “protector of humanity,” “to ward off”, “to avert,” or just plain “protector” or “defender.”
- Gender: Alexis was originally a male name before gradually becoming a popular girl’s name and finally a popular unisex name.
- Origin: Alexis is a variation on the name Alexius, after the saint who had followers in Western and Eastern churches in the 4th or 5th century.
- Pronunciation: You pronounce Alexis like “Al-LEX-iss.”
- Popularity: Alexis has seen steady popularity over the years, though it reached its peak as a female name in the 1980s before steadily moving down in popular name lists.
- Nicknames: Alex, Allie, Ally, Lex, Lexa, Lexi, Lexie, Lexy
- Variations: Aleja, Alesia, Alessia, Aleksa, Alexa, Alexia, Alexina, Elexis, Lexa, Lexia, Lexis, Lexus
- Namesakes: Alexis Bledel, the actress; Alexis Castle from Castle; Alexis Colby from Dynasty;Alexis Rose from Schitt’s Creek
- What Does Alexis Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Alexis?
- How Popular is the Name Alexis?
- How Do I Pronounce Alexis?
- Is Alexis a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Alexis
- Nicknames for Alexis
- Similar Names to Alexis
- Middle Names for Alexis
- Sibling Names for Alexis
- Famous People Named Alexis
- Alexis in Popular Culture
- Alexis FAQs
What Does Alexis Mean?
The name Alexis usually translates to “helper,” from the Greek word “alexios.” Other meanings might include “defender,” “to avert,” “to protect,” or “to ward off.”
What is the Origin of the Name Alexis?
The origin of the name Alexis may come from St. Alexius, a cult leader who lived during the 4th or 5th century in Syria. He also had followers in the Eastern Church, from which Alexis’s Russian names, such as Alexei or Aleksei, might have arisen.
How Popular is the Name Alexis?
The name Alexis has been among the top 50 most popular names for girls since 1990. It might have been first introduced as a girl’s name in the Western world when actress Alexis Smith began appearing in films.
It really popped into the popular consciousness as a girl’s name during the 1980s, when the TV show Dynasty aired in America but has seen a small, steady decline into the 2010s.
As of 2020, Alexis is still a popular name. The female name was ranked #309 in the United States, while the male name was ranked #402.
How Do I Pronounce Alexis?
You pronounce the name Alexis as Al-LEX-iss, with particular emphasis on the middle syllable. The final syllable carries a long “ss” sound, like “sis.”
Is Alexis a Boy or Girl Name?
Alexis has its origins as a boy’s name because the ending “-is” indicates the masculine gender in Greek grammar. Nowadays, many people regard Alexis as a girl’s name, though it has several male variants.
Today, Alexis is both a boy and girl’s name, with the male version growing into the top 500 boys’ names in the United States in 2020.
Variations of Alexis
The name Alexis has its roots as a male name, but its development into a female name has led to several variations. Some of these variations, both male and female, might include:
Nicknames for Alexis
Alexis by itself is a beautiful name, but you might choose a shorter version as a nickname, such as:
Similar Names to Alexis
Maybe you are on the fence about naming your child Alexis but are looking for something like it. A few names you might consider can include the following:
Middle Names for Alexis
If you have chosen Alexis for your child, now you need to choose a middle name to help differentiate your Alexis from others. Middle names that go well with Alexis might include names like:
Sibling Names for Alexis
Alexis is one of those names that lends itself well to a group. If you want to give your little Alexis siblings in the future, any one of these names could work for brothers or sisters.
For a sister:
For a brother:
Famous People Named Alexis
Seeing as the name Alexis has been quite popular over the years, there are plenty of famous people named Alexis. You might know some of these names, including:
- Alexis Alexopoulos: Greek sprinter
- Alexis Simon Belle: French painter
- Alexis Bledel: American actress
- Alexis Hornbuckle: American professional basketball player
- Alexis Korner: British blues musician
- Alexis Lewis: American inventor
- Alexis Smith: American actress
- Alexis Jordan: American singer
Alexis in Popular Culture
- Alexis Castle: a character on the American television series Castle
- Alexis Colby: a character in the American television series Dynasty
- Alexis Meade: a character on the American television series Ugly Betty
- Alexis Rose: a character on the Canadian television series Schitt’s Creek
- Alexis Thi Dang: an animated character from the Transformers Unicron Trilogy
- Alexis “Lexie” Winston: the protagonist of the 1978 film Ice Castles
While we have covered many facts about the name Alexis, we can always learn a little more about our favorite names.