- Meaning: Because Kayla derives from multiple languages, it has several meanings, including ”crown of laurels” and “god-like” from Hebrew, “pure” from Greek, and “slender and fair” from Irish.
- Gender: Kayla is traditionally a female’s name.
- Origin: Kayla originates in the United States but drew inspiration from Irish, Hebrew, and Greek names.
- Pronunciation: Kayla is pronounced “KAY-lah.”
- Popularity: The name is popular in the United States but has been declining slightly since the early 1990s.
- Nicknames: Kay, Kay-Kay, Kiki, Kayles, and Kali.
- Variations: Callia, Callie, Kala, Kalie, Kay, Keely, Kyah, Kyla, and Kylie.
- Namesakes: Kayla Ewell, American actress.
- What Does Kayla Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Kayla?
- How Popular Is the Name Kayla?
- How Do I Pronounce Kayla?
- Is Kayla a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Kayla
- Nicknames for Kayla
- Similar Names to Kayla
- Middle Names for Kayla
- Sibling Names for Kayla
- Famous People Named Kayla
- Kayla in Popular Culture
- Kayla FAQs
What Does Kayla Mean?
The name Kayla is unique in that it has many different meanings depending on its culture of origin, as many countries have different versions of the name Kayla.
The most common meanings of the name Kayla include ”crown of laurels” and “god-like” when derived from Hebrew, “pure” from its roots in Ancient Greek, and “slender and fair” in its Irish extraction.
Kayla can also be a shortened version of the name Mikayla, which is associated with an angel in the Bible known to be the patron saint of soldiers.
Kayla might seem like a common American name, but it is full of rich meaning compiled from many cultures, languages, and origins.
What Is the Origin of the Name Kayla?
Kayla is a modern American name popularized in the 1950s, but its invention drew inspiration from across the globe.
Kayla has roots in the Yiddish name Kaila but is considered a nickname for Michaela, the feminine version of the biblical Hebrew boy’s name Michael, and eventually became a name on its own.
There are also many Irish girls’ names that helped create the name Kayla, such as Keela.
While there is not a right or wrong answer when deriving the origin of the name Kayla, we agree that the mix of cultures that created it makes it unique and rich in its history.
How Popular Is the Name Kayla?
Kayla is a popular name that peaked in the early 1990s in the United States but has steadily declined since then.
At present, Kayla is the 2294th most popular name, with one out of every 1,321 baby girls named Kayla. It will likely continue to have slight rises and dips in popularity over the next few years.
It is most popular in the United States, where the name was created. Other countries with a consistent selection of Kayla for babies include Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
How Do I Pronounce Kayla?
Pronounce Kayla exactly how it’s spelled: “KAY-lah.” It is easy to pronounce, and the emphasis is on the first syllable.
Is Kayla a Boy or Girl Name?
Kayla is a girl’s name. At this time, 99.84% of people named Kayla are female, and only 0.16% are male. Depending on the origin, it can be a shortened version of the boy’s name Michael as a nickname for Michaela.
Variations of Kayla
There are many variations of the name Kayla, including variations in spelling and pronunciation. These variations include:
- Callia (Greek)
- Callie (Greek)
- Kala (Indian)
- Kalie (Arabic, Gaelic, and American)
- Kay (Welsh)
- Kayle (Irish)
- Kaylin (American)
- Keely (Irish)
- Keyla (Irish)
- Kiara (Italian and Irish)
- Kyah (Greek)
- Kyla (Celtic)
- Kylie (Australian)
- Kyra (Persian)
- Keira (Irish)
Nicknames for Kayla
Since Kayla is already a short name, there are not many nickname options for it. However, several popular ones include:
Similar Names to Kayla
If you like the name Kayla but want to go with something a little different, here are similar options:
Middle Names for Kayla
Here is a list of middle names that we think will pair great with the name Kayla:
Sibling Names for Kayla
When choosing names for siblings, you want to select something that has a nice ring next to Kayla. You also want to make sure they don’t sound too matchy-matchy. We think that the following complement Kayla perfectly:
Famous People Named Kayla
People named Kayla are in great company. The following famous Kaylas are well-known for their contributions to television, fitness, writing, science, and other industries:
- Kayla Barron: American astronaut.
- Kayla Bashore Smedley: American field hockey player.
- Kayla Clarke: Australian singer.
- Kayla DiCello: American gymnast.
- Kayla Ewell: American soap opera star and actress.
- Kayla Harrison: American MMA fighter and Olympian.
- Kayla Itsines: Australian fitness trainer.
- Kayla Kessinger: American politician.
- Kayla Parker: American musician.
- Kayla Pedersen: American WNBA player.
Kayla in Popular Culture
There are not too many well-known characters named Kayla in pop culture, but the following are some of the most famous Kaylas in TV, movies, and books:
- Kayla Brady: Character in “Days of Our Lives” soap opera.
- Kayla Huntington Scavo: Character in “Desperate Housewives” TV show.
- The Kayla Chronicles: Book by Sherri Winston.
- Kayla Pospisil: Character in “Bombshell” movie.
Here are a few common questions that people ask about the name Kayla.