- Meaning: Kiara means “light”, “clear”, and “kind” amongst other meanings.
- Gender: Kiara is primarily a girl’s name, but little boys also hold the name.
- Origin: Kiara is of Italian, Korean, Australian, Irish, and Swahili origins.
- Pronunciation: “KEY-ah-rah” or “KEY-er-ah.”
- Popularity: Kiara is a popular name currently ranking 332 as of 2021.
- Nicknames: Aura, Keke, Key, Kiki, Rah.
- Variations: Chiara, Ciara, Clara, Clare, Keara, Kearah, Kiarah, Klara.
- Namesakes: Namesakes for Kiara include Kiara Bisaro, Kiara Brinkman, Kiara Kabukuru, Kiara Muhammad, Kiara Sasso.
- What Does Kiara Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Kiara?
- How Popular Is the Name Kiara?
- How Do I Pronounce Kiara?
- Is Kiara a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Kiara
- Nicknames for Kiara
- Similar Names to Kiara
- Middle Names for Kiara
- Sibling Names for Kiara
- Famous People Named Kiara
- Kiara in Popular Culture
- Kiara FAQs
What Does Kiara Mean?
The name Kiara means “light”, “clear”, or “kind.” Other meanings include “first ray of sunshine”, “little cockatoo”, and “little dark one.” With a variety of origins, there are many beautiful name meanings behind Kiara (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Kiara?
Kiara is an alternative form of the Italian girl’s name, Chiara that translates to “kind.” The anglicized version of this name is Clare or Clara. Chiara came from as far back as the 1200s when Saint Clare of Assisi advocated for Saint Francis and founded the Order of the Nuns (2).
The name Kiara also has Irish roots. It comes from Ciara meaning “black” or “dark.” Ciara is the feminine version of the Irish masculine names, Chiaran and Ciar. This makes sense because the Irish word, “ciar” means “black.”
Its meaning of “the first ray of sunshine” comes from Korea. The meaning of “little cockatoo” has origins in Australia.
How Popular Is the Name Kiara?
Kiara is a popular name and 332nd out of the Social Security Administration’s top 1,000 baby names for girls. It entered the list in 1988 at the 820th position (3).
The name Kiara was the most popular in 1999 at #78. This makes sense because Simba’s daughter, Kiara was revealed in “The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride” in 1998, which most likely contributed to the spike in popularity from 172 that year to 78 the year after. Kiara has remained in the 100s to 300s ranking since 2000.
How Do I Pronounce Kiara?
Kiara is a three-syllable name. Pronounce Kiara by saying “KEY-ah-rah”. Parents may also prefer to pronounce Kiara by saying “KEY-er-ah.” However, the first pronunciation is the most popular.
Is Kiara a Boy or Girl Name?
Kiara is a name for a baby girl. There is no name ranking information for Kiara as a name for baby boys. However, you can give your baby whatever name you choose no matter if primarily feminine or masculine.
Variations of Kiara
Try a different name variation to enhance the look of Kiara written on paper. Here are the variations of Kiara that we think may speak to you:
- Chiara (Italian)
- Ciara (Irish Gaelic)
- Clara (Latin)
- Clare (Latin, Irish, and Irish)
- Keara (Irish)
- Kearah (Irish)
- Kiarah (Italian and Irish)
- Klara (Hungarian)
Nicknames for Kiara
Kiara is a shorter name with zippy possibilities for a nickname. These are the nicknames that we love for Kiara:
Similar Names to Kiara
Consider one of the many names that end in “-ah” when exploring similar-sounding names to Kiara. Here are the similar namesakes to Kiara we think you will enjoy:
Middle Names for Kiara
Kiara is a beautiful name ending in the “ah” sound that pairs well with consonant middle names. These are the middle names that we love for Kiara:
Sibling Names for Kiara
If you have a little one named Kiara, we know you are on a journey for the perfect sibling name. These are the names for a brother or a sister that we think go well with Kiara:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Kiara
You can show the celebrities named Kiara as your little one grows up. Here are the namesakes for Kiara we wanted to share with you:
- Kiara Bisaro: Canadian mountain biker.
- Kiara Brinkman: American writer.
- Kiara Kabukuru: American fashion model.
- Kiara Muhammed: American actress.
- Kiara Sasso: Brazilian actress.
Kiara in Popular Culture
Kiara is a beautiful name highlighted as a character name in many cartoons, songs, books, and reality television shows. You may see the name mentioned in:
- Kiara: Blood Elf Holy Paladin character in the video game “World of Warcraft.”
- Kiara: Simba and Nala’s daughter from “The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride.”
- “Kiara”: Song by the musical artist Bonobo.
- Kiara Carrera: Supporting character in the Netflix series “Outer Banks.”
- Kiara Zemir: Dancer in “The League” book series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Kiara has a positive aura and sweet sound when you say it. Whether you name your baby Kiara or another name, here are some answers to frequently asked questions about it.
Does Kiara Mean Lion?
Kiara does not mean lion. While Kiara is the name of a lioness in “The Lion King” franchise, the name etymology behind Kiara does not have a connection to lions. Of course, you can tell your little one named Kiara that they share a name with a notable Disney character!
Does Kiara Mean Princess?
In Swahili, Kiara means “princess.” No wonder Kiara, Simba’s daughter held this namesake in “The Lion King” franchise.
Is Kiara a Pretty Name?
Yes, Kiara is a pretty name. It has a lovely ring as if it is from a song. You can hear the chime in your ear as you say it. Parents that like Irish names would love Kiara as a baby name choice.
Can Kiara Be a Name for a Boy?
Yes, Kiara can be a name for a boy. This name currently ranks in the 6000s of the highest-ranking baby boy names. While Kiara has been more popularly feminine, parents still choose this name for their baby boys.