- Meaning: God’s gracious gift.
- Gender: Male.
- Origin: Slavic.
- Pronunciation: “Ai-vn”
- Popularity: 168th in the US, top 10 in Slavic countries.
- Nicknames: Iva, Van, Ani.
- Variations: Ivyn, John, Ifan.
- Namesakes: Ivan, The Terrible, Ivan Pavlov, Ivan Karamazov.
What Does Ivan Mean?
Ivan means “god’s gracious gift.”
What is the Origin of the Name Ivan?
How Popular is the Name Ivan?
Ivan currently ranks as the 168th most popular name in the United States. The name became popular in non-Slavic countries in the late 20th century and early 21st century. Since 2000, Ivan ranked within the top 200 names. However, it never rose above the top 100 names (1).
This name is most popular in countries such as Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine, Serbia, Slovakia, Bosnia, and Russia. At various times throughout the 20th and 21st centuries, Ivan ranked within the top 10 names for these countries.
How Do I Pronounce Ivan?
Ivan is pronounced as “Ai-vn.”
Is Ivan a Boy or Girl Name?
Ivan is a given name most often used for boys.
Variations of Ivan
There are several variations of the name Ivan. Some of these variations come from other cultures, while other names are simply versions of Ivan with a different spelling. Choose one of these versions if you like the name Ivan, but you want something that directly relates to your heritage.
Nicknames for Ivan
Since Ivan is such a short boy name, you may not think it lends itself to nicknames. However, there are several fun opportunities for nicknames with the name Ivan. If you are considering naming your child Ivan, it is also a good idea to know any nicknames the name may prompt.
Similar Names to Ivan
It is perfectly normal to like some aspects of a name without wanting to give that name to your child. However, if you like elements of the name Ivan but want some other options, there are plenty of directions you can go in. These names have a Slavic origin, a similar structure to Ivan, or share letters.
Middle Names for Ivan
When choosing a nickname for someone named Ivan, you can try a few different approaches. You can look for a name that is just as simple as Ivan, or you can try a middle name with a bit more flair. Many good middle names for Ivan also have a Slavic origin.
Sibling Names for Ivan
So, maybe you already have a child named Ivan, and want a name for their upcoming sibling. Lucky for you, the simplicity of the name Ivan means that there are countless fun names that you can use as compliments.
Famous People Named Ivan
This name can be found in famous people throughout history. Ivan is a particularly famous name among Slavic royalty. However, the name is also shared by everyone, including artists, athletes, scientists, and more.
- Ivan IV, The Terrible: Russian Emperor (2).
- Ivan: Brazilian football player.
- Ivan: Japanese fashion model and musician.
- Ivan Alexander: Bulgarian emperor.
- Ivan Mazuranic: Austro-Hungarian nobleman.
- Ivan Kirkland: Orthodox Hermit.
- Ivan Konev: Soviet general.
- Ivan Cordoba: Colombian footballer.
- Ivan Hurtado: Ecuadorian footballer.
- Ivan Bunin: Russian writer.
- Ivan Della Mea: Italian singer-songwriter.
- Ivan Doroschuk: Men Without Hats vocalist.
- Ivan Franko: Ukrainian writer.
- Ivan Kral: Czech-American musician.
- Ivan Mestrovic: Croatian sculptor and architect.
- Van Morrison: Northern Irish singer-songwriter.
- Ivan Duque Marque: Colombian president.
- Ivan Pavlov: Russian physiologist.
Ivan in Popular Culture
Ivan is the name of many main characters throughout Slavic literature. The name is also a popular choice in several forms of childhood entertainment, including Pokemon, Power Rangers, and other children’s television shows.
- Ivan: Ivan the Fool.
- Ivan: Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends.
- Ivan Vasilevich Lomov: A Marriage Proposal.
- Ivan Karamazov: The Brothers Karamazov (3).
- Ivan Ilyich: The Death of Ivan Ilyich.
- Ivan Drago: Rocky IV.
- Ivan: Curious George.
- Ivan Veen: Ada or Ardor.
- Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov: The Master and Margarita.
- Ivan Braginsky: Hetalia: Axis Powers.
- Ivan Vanko: Iron Man.
- Ivan: Pokemon.
- Ivan Ooze: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.
Are There Feminine Versions of the Name Ivan?
There are a few feminine names related to Ivan. These names include Ivanna, Iva, and Ivanka. All of these names have meanings that are similar to Ivan’s. In addition to meaning “gift from god,” Ivana also means small and precious. Iva and Ivanka are diminutive forms of Ivana.
Are There Other Names That Share Ivan’s Meaning?
There are quite a few names that have the same meaning as Ivan and its feminine relatives. These names mean god’s gracious gift or are related to gifts in general. Some simply mean precious or priceless.
Names such as Oashni, John, Gia, Giovanni, Hannah, Hans, Ian, Jaina, Jan, Janet, Sean, and Jeremy are all names that mean something similar to a gift from god. The names that relate to gifts, in general, are Alana, Alaine, Blessing, Precious, Darina, Eudora, Lulu, Mercedes, Neo, and Mehir.
Since Ivan Is Related to the Name John, How Many Other Versions of John Are There?
Since John is such a common name, it is unsurprising that there are several versions of John throughout the world. Most of the names have the same meaning as Ivan.
Gianni and Giovanni are Italian versions of John, Hans is the Danish version, Jan is the Dutch version, Johann is the German version, Juan is the Spanish version, Janek is the Polish version, and Jean is the French version.