- Meaning: The name Ezekiel means “God will strengthen.”
- Gender: Ezekiel is presumably a boy’s name.
- Origin: Ezekiel hails from Hebrew’s Yechezqel, meaning “strength of God.”
- Pronunciation: Ezekiel is pronounced ee-zee-kee-yel.
- Popularity: Ezekiel is the 33rd most popular boy’s name in the United States.
- Nicknames: Ezzie, Izzie, Kiel, Zeke, Zeki, Ziggy.
- Variations: Chatzkel, Chezkel, Esequiel, Ezequiel, Heskel, Zeke.
- Namesakes: Ezekiel Elliott, Ezekiel Hart, Ezekiel Kemboi, Ezekiel Prophet.
- What Does Ezekiel Mean?
- What is The Origin of the Name Ezekiel?
- How Popular is the Name Ezekiel?
- How Do I Pronounce Ezekiel?
- Is Ezekiel A Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Ezekiel
- Nicknames for Ezekiel
- Similar Names to Ezekiel
- Middle Names for Ezekiel
- Sibling Names for Ezekiel
- Famous People Named Ezekiel
- Ezekiel in Popular Culture
- Ezekiel FAQs
What Does Ezekiel Mean?
The name Ezekiel is a Hebrew boy’s name meaning “God will strengthen.” Ezekiel’s zesty Z is perfect for a baby who will be your strength.
What is The Origin of the Name Ezekiel?
The name Ezekiel is a Hebrew word derived from Yechezqel, an ancient Hebrew word. The name is composed of two elements “chazaq,” meaning “strength,” and “El,” meaning “god.”
The combination loosely translates to the strength of God. Ezekiel is a ubiquitous name in Judaism and a standout star among many Christians. Ezekiel’s dominance hails from the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel, who predicted Jerusalem’s downfall and subsequent restoration (1).
Diminutives of Ezekiel, such as Zeke, form common first names for kids in America and Canada. Still, Ezekiel retains its valor as a grand last name for many Brits.
How Popular is the Name Ezekiel?
Ezekiel gets more popular over the years. According to the Social Security Administration Data, it recently broke into the top 100 in 2017. Ezekiel steadily climbed to reach its peak at number 65 in 2020 (2).
In the last five years, Ezekiel has been fluctuating in the top 100 popularized by characters in the “Divergent” trilogy and AMC’s “The Walking Dead.”
Currently, Ezekiel is a trendy name sitting at number 33.
How Do I Pronounce Ezekiel?
There are varied pronunciations of Ezekiel depending on the region you hail from. However, the most common and correct pronunciation of Ezekiel is: ee-zee-kee-yel.
Is Ezekiel A Boy or Girl Name?
Ezekiel is predominantly a boy’s name. But we believe you should choose a baby’s name that has profound meaning to you regardless of gender.
Variations of Ezekiel
Ezekiel enjoys variations from diverse cultures across the world. From the classic Zeke to the ultracool Kiel, here are other variations of the name Ezekiel:
- Chatzkel (Hebrew)
- Esequiel (Hebrew, Spanish)
- Ezechiel (French)
- Ezechiele (Spanish)
- Ezequiel (Hebrew)
- Heskel (Yiddish)
- Hesekiel (Finnish, German)
- Jesekijel (Russian)
- Zeke (American)
Nicknames for Ezekiel
Ezekiel nicknames add sass to the sturdy Ezekiel. Here are some cute nicknames for your baby Ezekiel:
Similar Names to Ezekiel
If you like the name Ezekiel, you may love just a little bit different but equally perfect names. Here are some names that you can switch up with Ezekiel:
Middle Names for Ezekiel
Mamas who name their kids Ezekiel should know there are cutesy names to suffix Ezekiel. Here are perfect middle names for baby Ezekiel:
Sibling Names for Ezekiel
Your other kids will want an equally dependable name similar to their brother Ezekiel. Here are names to consider for Ezekiel’s siblings:
Famous People Named Ezekiel
You didn’t think you’d have Ezekiel all to yourself, did you? Some famous people in the world share the name, Ezekiel. Here are some of the most famous ones:
- Ezekiel Ansah: Ghanaian professional footballer who played for the San Francisco 49ers until he became a free agent in 2021 due to a torn bicep.
- Ezekiel Elliott: Highest paid running back who plays for the Dallas Cowboys in the National Football League.
- Ezekiel Hart: Famed entrepreneur and politician who was the first Jew to be elected to the Canadian legislature.
- Ezekiel Hebrew Prophet: The old Testament prophet who predicted the destruction and restoration of Jerusalem
- Ezekiel Jackson: American professional wrestler widely popular for his World Wide Entertainment Intercontinental Championship.
- Ezekiel Jiles: American rapper popular for his stage name “Freekey Zekey,” who founded “The Diplomats” group.
- Ezekiel Kemboi: Kenyan athlete who won the 3000m steeplechase in 2004,2009,2011, 2013, and 2015 World Championship events.
Ezekiel in Popular Culture
Given the popularity of the name, there are multiple characters with the name Ezekiel in pop. Here are some of the more famous ones you should know:
- Ezekiel (comics): Character in Marvel’s “Spiderman” comics.
- Ezekiel Cheever: Antagonist in Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible” play.
- Ezekiel Figuero: Protagonist of “The Get Down.”
- Ezekiel Pedrad: Character from the book series “Divergent.”
- Ezekiel (Supernatural): Character from the television series “Supernatural” who fell under Metatron’s spell.
- Ezekiel Sutton: Character in the televised series “The Walking Dead,” famous for his epithet “King Ezekiel.”