- Meaning: The name “Aiden” has different meanings, like “the fiery one,” “little fire,” “born of fire,” “bringer of fire,” “intelligent,” and “help.”
- Gender: You can name either a boy or a girl Aiden, but it’s usually a boy’s name.
- Origin: Aiden is an Irish and Persian name.
- Pronunciation: “EY-din”
- Popularity: Aiden has always been popular in the UK but is the 24th most popular boy’s name in 2021.
- Nicknames: Addie, Adie, Dan, Danny, Dee, Denny.
- Variations: Aadyn, Áedán, Aidyn, Aodhnai, Ayden, Aydin.
- Namesakes: Aidan Burn, Aidan Devane, Aidan Devine, Aiden Ford, Aidan Quinn, Aidan Shaw, Aidan Turner.
- What Does Aiden Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Aiden?
- How Popular Is the Name Aiden?
- How Do I Pronounce Aiden?
- Is Aiden a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Aiden
- Nicknames for Aiden
- Similar Names to Aiden
- Middle Names for Aiden
- Sibling Names for Aiden
- Famous People Named Aiden
- Aiden in Popular Culture
- Aiden FAQs
What Does Aiden Mean?
What Is the Origin of the Name Aiden?
Aiden is an Irish and Persian male name and has become popular in several Celtic countries, such as Ireland, Wales, and Scotland.
The name itself derives from Aed, who was a sun god in Irish mythology, and the name Aodhán, which is a nickname for the name Aodh (2).
How Popular Is the Name Aiden?
For a while, the name Aiden was known only in the UK. It has since spread in popularity to the US, Australia, and Canada.
The name became the 54th most popular boy’s name in the United States before it became the 13th most popular name for boys in the 2010s (3).
As of 2021, Aiden is the 26th most popular boy’s name in the United States (4).
How Do I Pronounce Aiden?
You pronounce the name “Aiden” like “EY-din.”
Is Aiden a Boy or Girl Name?
Aiden is typically a boy’s name, though people have used it as a girl’s name a few times.
Variations of Aiden
The name Aiden has Irish and Persian roots, which means there are plenty of beautiful variations to pick from for a more otherworldly name. Some of Aiden’s variations include the following:
- Aadyn (Irish)
- Áedán (Irish)
- Aidyn (Irish)
- Aodhnai (Old Irish or Gaelic)
- Ayden (Irish)
- Aydin (Gaelic)
Nicknames for Aiden
Though Aiden is a short name, that does not mean that you cannot have a few cute nicknames on hand. Some nicknames might include:
Similar Names to Aiden
You might think Aiden is a pretty name, but something similar to it will do the trick for your child. Similar names to Aiden can include names like:
Middle Names for Aiden
Picking a good nickname for your child can make their name sound more musical. Aiden is no different with nicknames, so you might like some of the following nicknames for your child:
Sibling Names for Aiden
Like with middle names, picking sibling names for Aiden is like creating a piece of music. How will these names sound next to each other? You can find out with different girls and boys names like these.
For a Sister
For a Brother
Famous People Named Aiden
Given how popular the name Aiden is across the world, you can bet there are several famous people named Aiden. You might recognize a few of these names and choose them for your child’s namesake, such as:
- Aidan Banks: English guitarist.
- Aidan Crawley: British politician.
- Aidan Coffey: Irish musician.
- Aidan Coleman: Irish jockey.
- Aidan Daly: New Zealand basketball player.
- Aidan Davis: English dancer.
- Aidan Devine: Canadian actor.
- Aidan Fitzpatrick: Scottish footballer.
- Aidan Girt: Canadian drummer.
- Aidan Healy: Irish hurler.
- Aidan Kelly: American Wiccan.
- Aidan Kirk: New Zealand rugby player.
- Aidan Maloney: Canadian politician.
- Aidan McArdle: Irish actor.
- Aidan Moffat: Scottish musician.
- Aidan O’Connor: Irish politician.
- Aidan Quinn: American actor.
- Aidan Thomas: English footballer.
- Aidan Turner: American actor.
Aiden in Popular Culture
With its simplicity and pleasant cadence, Aiden makes an excellent name for a character in a TV show or movie. When naming your child, you might pick one of these characters for their namesake, like:
- Aidan Brosnan: a character from the British TV series “EastEnders.“
- Aidan Burn: a character in the American crime procedural television series “CSI: New York.”
- Aiden Dennison: a character from the American TV series “South of Nowhere.”
- Aidan Devane: a character from the American soap opera “All My Children.”
- Aiden Ford: a character from the American sci-fi TV series “Stargate Atlantis.”
- Aiden Lucas: a character from the American fantasy-drama TV series “Ghost Whisperer.”
- Aidan Lynch: a character from the British fantasy children’s novel “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.”
- Aiden Pearce: the protagonist from the video game “Watch Dogs.”
- Aidan Shaw: a character from the American TV series “Sex and the City.”
- Aidan Waite: a character from the American drama-horror TV series “Being Human.”
Aiden has a rich and colorful history worldwide, so we should look at the other ways this name has touched the world.