- Meaning: Ivy means the long, vine-like, evergreen plant.
- Gender: Ivy is a female name.
- Origin: The name Ivy comes from the trend of naming baby girls after plants.
- Pronunciation: EYE-vee.
- Popularity: Very popular.
- Nicknames: I, Iyi, Ive, Ives, Ivester, Ivy Wivy, Vee, Veevee, Vines, Poison Ivy
- Variations: Ivey, Ivie, Ivye.
- Namesakes: Ivy Cavendish-Bentinck, Ivy Walker, Ivy Aberdeen.
What Does Ivy Mean?
The name Ivy comes from the name of the long, vine-like plant native to Eurasia and North Africa.
It is a common ornamental climbing or sometimes shrubby Eurasian vine with evergreen leaves, small yellowish flowers, and blackberries (1).
What is the Origin of the Name Ivy?
In Celtic tradition, the ivy plant symbolizes friendship, and in the ancient Greek tradition, the ivy plant symbolizes fidelity. Perhaps these traditions helped Ivy become the popular, well-loved name that it is today.
It bloomed into popularity in the late 1800s in the UK when naming girls after plants and flowers was fashionable (2).
The origin can be attributed to both the high regard for the ivy plant in ancient traditions and also to the styles and trends of the late 1800s.
How Popular is the Name Ivy?
In the year 2021, Ivy was the 49th most popular name of all baby girls born in the United States (3). Being in the top 50 names now, it is a popular choice to name a baby girl.
In the past two decades, Ivy has increased steadily in the ranks of popularity almost every single year (4).
How Do I Pronounce Ivy?
You can pronounce the name the same way you would pronounce the name of the plant. The proper pronunciation of Ivy is EYE-vee.
Is Ivy a Boy or Girl Name?
In the overwhelming majority of instances, the name Ivy is assigned to a girl. Overall, Ivy can be considered a girl name.
Ivy is also a common surname for people of all genders.
Variations of Ivy
Though the most common spelling of the name is Ivy, a few variations used frequently are:
Each of the spellings of the name is pronounced the same as the original spelling.
Nicknames for Ivy
Ivy has many super cute nicknames when you want something endearing or silly to call your baby girl. Some of the best options are:
- I (pronounced eye)
- Ivy Wivy
- Iyi (pronounced eye-eye)
- Poison Ivy
Similar Names to Ivy
If you like the name Ivy, but you don’t think it’s for you, you can try out some similar baby girl names instead.
For a floral-inspired name, you might like these options:
Maybe you like the names that start with “I”, and in that case, check out these options:
And finally, if you like the look and sound of Ivy, here are some visually or phonetically similar names:
Middle Names for Ivy
Many middle names sound right when paired with Ivy, so here’s a list of them you can use for ideas:
- Ivy Alice
- Ivy Anne
- Ivy Belle
- Ivy Beth
- Ivy Celeste
- Ivy Claire
- Ivy Constance
- Ivy Dawn
- Ivy Drew
- Ivy Ella
- Ivy Erin
- Ivy Hope
- Ivy Jade
- Ivy Jean
- Ivy Joy
- Ivy June
- Ivy Leigh
- Ivy Lynne
- Ivy May
- Ivy Paige
- Ivy Paris
- Ivy Pearl
- Ivy Rose
- Ivy Sky
Sibling Names for Ivy
If you already have a sweet baby Ivy, and you’re expecting another child soon, you probably want to know what names go well with Ivy. Here are some names for your Ivy’s sibling:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Ivy
There are dozens of celebrities and famous individuals named Ivy. Some well-known and popular figures named Ivy include:
- Ivy Cavendish-Bentinck, Duchess of Portland: Duchess of Portland 1943-1977
- Ivy Duke: British actress.
- Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri: South African politician.
- Ivy Ruckman: American children’s books author.
- Ivy Walker: English athlete.
Ivy in Popular Culture
Ivy has also been used as a name for characters in fictional works, and these are some of the most popular uses:
- Ivy: a character from the 1990s cartoon TV series “Where on Earth Is Carmen Sandiego?”
- Ivy Aberdeen: a character from the book “Ivy Aberdeen’s Letter to the World” by Ashley Herring Blake.
- Ivy Tilsley: a character from the 1971 soap opera “Coronation Street” portrayed by Lynne Perrie
- Ivy Valentine: a playable character in the “Soul Calibur IV” fighting video game.
- Poison Ivy: a character from the “Batman” franchise.