- Meaning: Sadie means either “joy” or “princess.”
- Gender: Sadie is a name generally given to girls.
- Origin: The origin is a nickname for Sarah.
- Pronunciation: “SAY-dee”
- Popularity: Sadie is very popular, ranked within the top 100.
- Nicknames: Sade, Sades, SaySay, Sisi.
- Variations: Saydie, Sady, Saidey.
- Namesakes: Sadie Robertson, Sadie Hawkins.
- What Does Sadie Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Sadie?
- How Popular is the Name Sadie?
- How Do I Pronounce Sadie?
- Is Sadie a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Sadie
- Nicknames for Sadie
- Similar Names to Sadie
- Middle Names for Sadie
- Sibling Names for Sadie
- Famous People Named Sadie
- Sadie in Popular Culture
- Sadie FAQs
What Does Sadie Mean?
The name Sadie was originally meant as a nickname for the name Sarah. Since then, it has come to be its own name entirely.
Sarah is a name popular in many different parts of the world and has different meanings depending on the region. Because of this, the meaning of Sarah and Sadie are the same.
What is the Origin of the Name Sadie?
Sadie originates from the name Sarah. It came to be a fun, sweet pet name for girls named Sarah. It has since become a name all on its own.
How Popular is the Name Sadie?
Sadie was very popular in 2021, ranking in 78th place among the most common baby girl names in the United States (2).
In 2014, Sadie hit its all-time high, ranking 46th. Since then, it has fallen a bit each year, but it has remained a very popular name.
Sadie was also very popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This is when Sadie became used more frequently as its own name rather than just a nickname.
How Do I Pronounce Sadie?
The proper pronunciation of Sadie is “SAY-dee.”
Is Sadie a Boy or Girl Name?
Traditionally, Sadie has always been a girl’s name. It derives from Sarah, which has also been a girl’s name.
Variations of Sadie
Since Sadie is already a variation of the name Sarah, there aren’t many variations. However, Sadie can be spelled a couple of different ways if you’re looking for something a little more unique. Here are some of the most common:
- Sady (Polish)
- Saidey (Hebrew)
- Saidie (Hebrew)
- Saydie (Hebrew)
Nicknames for Sadie
There are just a few fun nicknames for the name Sadie since it’s already pretty short. We know everyone loves to call their sweet new baby a shorter, sweeter name sometimes, so here are our favorites that accomplish that:
Similar Names to Sadie
If you like the name Sadie, but you don’t think that it’s the perfect fit for your baby girl, here are a few names that either sound similar to the name Sadie or have a similar meaning that you may like instead:
Middle Names for Sadie
What’s just as important as a good first name? Baby needs a good middle name that flows well and looks nice with that first name! We’ve compiled the best middle names for Sadie here:
Sibling Names for Sadie
If you already have a Sadie in the family, then you might be considering what to name a sibling or future sibling of hers. Or maybe you’re having twins! For any of these reasons, we know it’s essential for you to find a name that suits Sadie nicely. Here are some of our top picks for brother and sister names for Sadie:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Sadie
Since Sadie is such a popular name it only makes sense that there are quite a few famous, amazing women named Sadie. Here are some of the most notable:
- Sadie Bjornsen: An American cross-country skier.
- Sadie (Dog): A dog given the Dickin Medal for detecting an explosive device.
- Sadie Frost: An English actress, producer, and fashion designer.
- Sadie Tanner Mossell Alexander: The first African-American woman to earn a Ph.D. in the United States.
- Sadie Robertson: A reality TV star from “Duck Dynasty.”
- Sadie Sink: An American actress from the TV series “Stranger Things.”
Sadie in Popular Culture
There are also quite a few Sadies in books, movies, and TV shows that we all know and love. To name just a few:
- Sadie: Title of a book by Courtney Summers.
- Sadie Harris: A character in the TV series “Grey’s Anatomy.”
- Sadie Hawkins: A character in the comic strip “Li’l Abner”. This is also the namesake of the famous ‘Sadie Hawkins’ dance.
- Sadie Hawkins Dance: A song by the band Reliant K.
- Sadie Hawthorne: The main character in the TV series “Naturally, Sadie.”
- Sadie Kane: The main character in the book series “The Kane Chronicles.”
- Sadie Miller: A character on the TV series “Steven Universe.”
Here are some frequently asked questions about the name Sadie.