- Meaning: Jasper means “bearer of treasure” and is believed to be unrelated to the gemstone of the same name.
- Gender: While Jasper is a traditionally masculine name, some women have this name as well.
- Origin: Jasper is of Persian origin and is likely derived from the word “ganzabara.”
- Pronunciation: Jasper is most commonly pronounced as “JAS-per.”
- Popularity: Jasper is a somewhat popular name for boys, but it is pretty rare for girls. In the United States, it ranked 138th for boys but did not place in the top 1000 names for girls.
- Nicknames: Jack, Jas, Jasp, Jay, Jazz, Jazzy, and Jess.
- Variations: Caspar, Casper, Gaspar, Gasperina, Jaspar, Jespa, Jesper.
- Namesakes: Jasper Carrott (British comedian and actor), Jasper Cillessen (Dutch soccer player), Jasper Johns (American painter and sculptor).
What Does Jasper Mean?
The most common meaning for the name Jasper comes from its Persian roots (1). It is a masculine name meaning “treasurer” or “bearer or treasure.”
It is not believed to be related to the gemstone, the etymology of which is Old French derived from Semitic languages. However, the Persian for the gemstone is “yashp,” which is similar to the Hebrew “yashpeh”.
What Is the Origin of the Name Jasper?
Jasper is a name with Persian origins. It was likely derived from the word “ganzabara,” meaning “bringer of treasure.” Over time, it became the Latin name “Gaspar,” and then became the anglicized “Jasper.”
How Popular Is the Name Jasper?
Jasper has been a fairly popular name for the past twenty years, and it’s only risen in popularity. In 2020, it was ranked number 138 for boys born that year (2).
For girls, however, Jasper is relatively uncommon. Since 2000, it has not been in the top 1000 baby names for girls. But as this name becomes more popular with boys, it may also become more popular for girls.
Is Jasper a Boy or Girl Name?
Most people consider the name Jasper to be masculine. However, it is not uncommon to use this name for girls as well.
Variations of Jasper
Since it’s been around for centuries, there are several variations. If you enjoy this name but aren’t sure it’s the right fit for your baby, you may want to consider one of these alternatives.
Here are a few different variations of the name Jasper:
- Caspar (Aramaic)
- Casper (Aramaic)
- Gaspar (Latin and Persian)
- Gasperina (Persian)
- Jaspar (Persian)
- Jespa (Persian)
- Jesper (Persian)
Nicknames for Jasper
Nicknames are a fun way to reflect your child’s personality. Or if your little one grows up and decides the name Jasper doesn’t suit them, a nickname can work as a backup.
Here are a few possible nicknames for anyone named Jasper:
Similar Names to Jasper
If you’d like a name with a similar sound or meaning to Jasper, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Here are a few examples of similar names to Jasper:
Middle Names for Jasper
Not everyone has a middle name, but if you’d like your child to have one, it’s important to find one that fits.
Here are some middle name ideas that pair well for a boy or girl:
Sibling Names for Jasper
If you have a child named Jasper, you may want to give their siblings some coordinating names! Fortunately, there are plenty of names that go well with Jasper, including:
For a Brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Jasper
If you name your baby Jasper, your little one will share a name with several famous individuals.
Here are some of the most notable that you might recognize:
- Jasper Broers: A Flemish landscape painter.
- Jasper Carrott: A British comedian and actor.
- Jasper Cillessen: A Dutch soccer player.
- Jasper Conran: A British fashion designer.
- Jasper Fforde: A British novelist.
- Jasper Johns: An American painter and sculptor.
Jasper in Popular Culture
There are plenty of fictional characters who have the name Jasper.
Here are a few popular examples:
- Jasper: A character from the Cartoon Network series “Steven Universe.”
- Jasper Hale: A character from Stephenie Meyers’ “Twilight” novel series.
- Jasper Sitwell: A recurring character in Marvel Comics and the MCU franchise.
- Jasper T. Jowls: An animatronic canine mascot for Chuck E. Cheese.
- Jasper the Bear: A mascot for a Canadian national park.
Do you want to learn more about the meaning of the name Jasper? Here are the answers to a few common questions!
What Does Jasper Mean Biblically?
Those who enjoy names with biblical meanings will love the name Jasper.
So if you’re seeking a subtle biblical name, Jasper could be a very meaningful choice!
Does the Name Jasper Have Any Symbolic Associations?
Like many names, Jasper has links to specific colors, stones, and lucky numbers. Indigo is particularly connected to the name. Its most commonly associated gem is bloodstone. When that is opaque, it becomes known as Jasper.
Is Jasper a Pet Name?
If you’re looking for a name for your pet, Jasper could be a great choice. Two-syllable names are easy to call out and easy for a cat or dog to remember. And because this gemstone often comes in warm colors, it could be a fitting name for a pet with a red or orange appearance.
That said, Jasper isn’t primarily a pet name. So if you want to give this name to your child, you won’t need to worry about any pet name associations or confusion.