- Meaning: The name Morgan can loosely mean “of the sea.”
- Gender: Morgan is a unisex name but is more common for girls in the United States.
- Origin: Morgan has roots in the Welsh, Scottish, and Irish languages.
- Pronunciation: Morgan is most commonly pronounced as “More-gahn.”
- Popularity: The name is fairly popular in the US. Morgan ranked 193rd for girls and 691st for boys. It is more popular among boys in Wales.
- Nicknames: Momo, Mora, Mogs, Gogo.
- Variations: Morgana (Welsh), Morgaine (French), Morgen (Welsh), Morggen (Welsh), Morgin (Welsh), Morrigan (Irish), Muirghein (Irish).
- Namesakes: Morgan Fairchild (American actress), Morgan Freeman (American actor).
- What Does Morgan Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Morgan?
- How Popular Is the Name Morgan?
- How Do I Pronounce Morgan?
- Is Morgan a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Morgan
- Nicknames for Morgan
- Similar Names to Morgan
- Middle Names for Morgan
- Sibling Names for Morgan
- Famous People Named Morgan
- Morgan in Popular Culture
- Morgan FAQs
What Does Morgan Mean?
The name Morgan can loosely mean “of the sea.” Morgan has been used as a name in multiple languages, so it can have varying translations. It can also mean “sea-born,” “sea circle,” and “bright, white sea dweller.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Morgan?
The name Morgan has Welsh, Irish, and Scottish origins. Interestingly, the male and female versions of Morgan do not derive from the same source.
Morgan, as a male name, likely originated from Old Welsh. It would have been spelled Morcant, with “môr” meaning “sea” and “cant” being “the circle.” Essentially, “sea-circle” or “belonging to the circle of the sea.” (1)
As a girl’s name, Morgan may have Celtic roots influenced by the Irish legend of The Morrigan. She was the goddess of war, death, and fate. It can also mean “of the sea.” (2)
How Popular Is the Name Morgan?
In the United States, Morgan ranked 193rd for girls born in 2020. However, it has been on the decline since 2000, when it was at its most popular. In the early 21st Century, Morgan consistently placed in the top 30.
Morgan is a somewhat less popular choice for newborn boys. It reached its peak in 2004 when it held the 309th spot. In 2020, Morgan ranked as the 691st most popular name for boys (3).
How Do I Pronounce Morgan?
Morgan is typically pronounced as “more-gun” or “maw-guhn.” That will not vary much between regions. Some individuals put more pronunciation on the first syllable. Usually, you will hear it said fluidly, with little emphasis on either syllable. As there is little variation for the name, Morgan rarely gets mispronounced.
Is Morgan a Boy or Girl Name?
Morgan is predominantly a unisex name. Popularity for Morgan as a boy or girl’s name has varied over time and geographic location. While Morgan is a more popular choice for girls, the name can still be a valid option for both sexes (4).
Variations of Morgan
Morgan has a few spelling and pronunciation variations by country. Some of these variations are only used for girls, while others remain unisex. Among the most notable examples include:
- Morgana (Welsh)
- Morgaine (French)
- Morgen (Welsh)
- Morggen (Welsh)
- Morgin (Welsh)
- Morrigan (Irish)
- Muirghein (Irish)
Nicknames for Morgan
There’s no set nickname for Morgan like Bob is for Robert. However, there are many creative and cute nicknames that you can call a Morgan in your life, such as:
Similar Names to Morgan
Morgan is a unisex name that has a very old-world vibe. Here are some alternatives with a similar origin or meaning for girls and boys:
Middle Names for Morgan
If you would like to name your child Morgan but aren’t sure about the middle name here are some options. They have similar classic origins and include male, feminine, and unisex versions, like:
Sibling Names for Morgan
If you would like some inspiration for siblings of Morgan, then you have plenty of choices as Morgan pairs well with many other names. These include:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Morgan
Though Morgan has varied in popularity over the years there have been people named Morgan for centuries. Some of the most famous include:
- Morgan Andrews: American soccer player.
- Morgan Fairchild: American actress.
- Morgan Freeman: American actor.
- Morgan James: American musician.
- Morgan Ward: American mathematician.
- Morgan Tsvangirai: Former prime minister of Zimbabwe.
Morgan in Popular Culture
Though it does not have a widespread presence in popular culture, there have still been prominent examples. Here are some of the most notable:
- Morgan le Fay: Powerful fairy/witch from the legends of King Arthur.
- Morgan Jones: Character in “The Walking Dead” franchise.
- Morgan Lansdale: Character in the “Resident Evil” franchise.
- Morgan Reznick: Character in the television series “The Good Doctor.”
- Morgan Tookers: Character in the television comedy show “The Mindy Project.”
If you have more questions about the name Morgan, find your answers here.