- Meaning: Lola means “sorrow,” “precious and seductive,” “wealth,” and “beautifully feminine.”
- Gender: The name is commonly given to baby girls.
- Origin: The name is a diminutive of “Delores,” and comes as a reference to the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus.
- Pronunciation: “LOW-luh.”
- Popularity: The name Lola is popular. In the United States in 2021, it ranked in the top 300 names for girls, up from 752 in 2002.
- Nicknames: Elle, La, LaLa, LeeLee, Lo, LoLo.
- Variations: Aloisia, Carol, Charlotte, Delores, Lâleh, Loela, Lolita, Lolla.
- Namesakes: Carola Lola Costa, Lola Albright, Lola Beer Ebner.
What Does Lola Mean?
Lola is a Spanish feminine name that means “sorrow.” It is from the name “Delores,” which Lola is a shortened form of.
In Russia, Lola is diminutive of “Lolita,” which means “precious and seductive.” This particular meaning is hypocorism and popularized by the controversial novel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (1).
In Nigeria, Lola is also very common and is the short form of names such as “Temilola,” “Omolola,” and “Damilola.” In these cases, Lola refers to wealth.
What Is the Origin of the Name Lola?
The name is a diminutive of “Delores” and comes as a reference to the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus. In Spanish, Mary was “Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores,” which means “Our Lady of Sorrows.” This variation came from the Hebrew Bible.
Because of its religious origins, it has made its way around the world.
How Popular Is the Name Lola?
The name Lola is popular. In the United States in 2021, it ranked in the top 300 names for girls. This is up from rank 752 in 2002. The name peaked in popularity in 2010, when it made its way up to position 211 (3).
It is also very commonly found in areas of the world that speak Latin languages, as well as Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Afghanistan, where the name has Arabic roots.
How Do I Pronounce Lola?
Lola is most commonly pronounced as “LOW-luh.” It is not often mispronounced, or pronounced differently in any other language.
Is Lola a Boy or Girl Name?
Lola is most commonly given to female babies. There is not a popular male variant of the name.
Variations of Lola
The name Lola is given far and wide, and because of that, there are many variations. Some of them might include:
- Aloisia (German)
- Carol (German)
- Charlotte (French)
- Delores (Latin)
- Lâleh (Persian)
- Loela (Latin)
- Lolita (Russian)
- Lolla (Latin)
Nicknames for Lola
There are also plenty of fun ways to play with the name Lola. Some of our favorites are:
Similar Names to Lola
Perhaps Lola is a name you like, but it’s not quite what you’re looking for. There are plenty of similar names as well. Some include:
Middle Names for Lola
Lola can also be paired up with a great middle name to bring it to life. Some ideas we had were:
Sibling Names for Lola
If you’re expecting a brother or sister for a Lola, there are great names that go with it. Some of the best sibling names are:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Lola
With the rise in popularity of the name, there have been some famous folks there to reflect it. Some of the ones you might recognize include:
- Carola Lola Costa: A British artist, painter, author, and poet.
- Dolores Candelaria Lola Mora: Argentinian sculptor.
- Lola: A French singer.
- Lola Albright: An American actress and performer best known for her roles in the TV show Peter Gunn.
- Lola Beer Ebner (born Carola Zwillinger): Israeli fashion designer.
- Lola Muñoz: A Spanish singer from the band “Las Ketchup.”
- Lola Lemire Tostevin: Canadian poet and writer.
Lola in Popular Culture
Even more so than famous people named Lola, the name has infiltrated pop culture all over the world. From books to films, here are some of the most notable:
- Lola: A character from the animated comedy show “South Park.”
- Lola: A song by the band The Kinks.
- Lola: The primary character in Barry Manilow’s song “Copacabana.”
- Lola Bunny: A character from the film “Space Jam.”
- Lola Cep: A character from the book Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.
- Lola Martinez: A character from the comedy TV program “Zoey 101.”
- Lolita: A novel by Vladimir Nabokov.
What Are Common Personality Traits of a Lola?
Lolas are good at reading a situation and problem-solving. They can be practical and patient. They also are full of life, passionate, and kind.
Lolas are also known to give much of themselves to those they love and care for.
Does Lola Mean Something Else in Greek?
In Greek, Lola has a slightly different meaning than in other countries. It means “Lady of Sorrows, Strong Woman.” This meaning comes from the Hebrew Bible.
What Does Lola Mean in the Philippines?
In the Philippines, Lola refers to a grandmother. It is the word they use to address that role in the family.