- Meaning: Eva means “life” or “living one.”
- Gender: Eva is a primarily female name.
- Origin: Eva is the Latin version of Eve, itself a variation on the Hebrew word “Chawah,” meaning “to breathe.”
- Pronunciation: Eva has three primary pronunciations: EE-vah, EH-vah, and AY-vah.
- Popularity: Eva is a very popular name.
- Nicknames: Ev, Eve, Evie, Evy, Va, and Vee.
- Variations: Aoife, Ava, Eba, Ebba, Eeva, Ev, Evaline, Evah, and Evander.
- Namesakes: Eva Mendes, Eva Longoria, Eva Peron, and Eva Green.
What Does Eva Mean?
What is the Origin of the Name Eva?
Eva is a name with Hebrew origins.
Because Eva derives from Eve, they share an origin. Both take their inspiration from “Chawah,” the Hebrew word for “to breathe.”
The Judeo-Christian faith believes Eve was the first woman, giving the name an added element of mythology and significance.
How Popular is the Name Eva?
The name Eva has consistently been relatively popular, experiencing peaks and valleys over the years.
Between 1900 and 1932, it was a top 100 name, as a reaction to its presence is “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”
Eva broke the top 100 again in 2009. According to the American Social Security Administration, Eva was the 73rd most popular name in 2017 (1).
Eva is in the top 50 names in the following countries:
- Austria (in 2015)
- Australia (between 2016-2022)
- Canada (in 2017, 2019, 2022)
- Switzerland (between 2019-2020)
- Denmark (in 2019)
- Spain (between 2018-2021)
- Finland (between 2019-2022)
- France (between 2017-2019, 2022)
- Great Britain (between 2016-2022)
- Ireland (between 2016-2022)
- Liechtenstein (in 2021)
- Netherlands(between 2016-2022)
- Norway (between 2019-2021)
- New Zealand (between 2016-2020)
- Portugal (in 2019)
- United States (in 2019, 2020, 2022)
How Do I Pronounce Eva?
Even with only three letters, Eva has a few pronunciations. You can select whichever you prefer to name your baby girl.
Eva is pronounced:
These are the English pronunciations. Eva has distinct pronunciations in each of the following languages:
Is Eva a Boy or Girl Name?
Eva is a female name. While it is undoubtedly possible to name a boy Eva, the occurrence is rare. In fact, the name Eva was the 6,668th most popular for boys in the United States in 2022-not, exactly burning up the charts.
Variations of Eva
Eva is a short and sweet name. It is, however, pretty common. If you enjoy the general structure of the name or appreciate the harmony between the letters “e” and “v,” there are several variations available. These include:
Nicknames for Eva
Nicknames tend to be shorter than the proper title, but Eva doesn’t have much real estate to cede with only three letters. In fact, most of the nicknames are the same length as Eva. If you’re looking for a cute variation for your kiddo, consider one of the following:
Similar Names to Eva
Eva is a beautiful name with rich associations and a long history. However, it is very common. If you are hoping to name your child something similarly lovely but slightly more obscure, consider one of the following:
Middle Names for Eva
A name as lovely as Eva deserves a complimentary middle name. The below names all work with Eva to create a regal and memorable title:
Sibling Names for Eva
If little Eva has a brother or sister on the way, you’ll want to give them equally impactful names. You may want to use names with equally Biblical backgrounds or with similar letter. Either way, this list provides ample options:
Names For a Sister
Giving Eva’s sister a complimentary name doesn’t mean sacrificing her originality. The below list offers some suggestions:
Names For a Brother
There is little concern about giving a brother a name similar to Eva. This list offers elegant, simple names:
Famous People Named Eva
Eva owes a portion of its popularity to the celebrities who have borne the name. There have been many over the years, and this list contains some of the most notable Evas:
- Eva Green: A French actress
- Eva Hauge: An American actress
- Eva Igo: An American singer, dancer, and actress
- Eva Longoria: An American actress
- Eva Marcille: An American actress
- Eva Marie: An American wrestler
- Eva Mendes: An American actress
- Eva Peron: The former and most famous first lady of Argentina
Eva in Popular Culture
The name Eva has a rich history across the media. The title’s shown up in books, movies, television, and video games.
- Little Eva: a character in the 1852 novel “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”
- Eva Sanchez: A character in the 2013 horror film “The Purge.”
- EVA: a character in the 1998 video game “Metal Gear Solid.”
- Eva: a character in the 2001 video game “Devil May Cry.”
- Eva: a character in the 2008 movie “Igor.”
- Eva Price: a character on the British show “Coronation Street.”
While we’ve covered much of Eva’s history, some questions remain. We answer some of the most frequently asked questions below.
What Is Eva’s Lucky Number?
If you subscribe to numerology, Eva’s lucky number is three.
Is Eva Short for Evelyn?
No. Eva is a separate name, though nothing prevents Evelyn from using Eva as a nickname.
Is the Name Eva in the Bible?
Eva, as it’s spelled, is not in the Bible. However, the name it derives from, Eve, is.