- Meaning: The name Mia means “mine” when translated into Latin or Spanish and means “dear” or “darling” when derived from the Slavic word mila
- Gender: Mia is generally a name given to girls
- Origin: Mia originates from the Latin Maria. It was initially used as a nickname for other given names such as Maria, Amelia, and Emily until becoming an official given name in the United States in the 1960s.
- Pronunciation: Mia is pronounced as “MEE-uh.”
- Popularity: Mia became an official given name in the United States in the 1960s and has since shot up in popularity. The name has gone from around the 200th most popular name in the United States in the 1960s to most recently becoming the 8th most popular.
- Nicknames: Maya, Mimi, Miami, Mama, Mir, Mira, Mya, Maja
- Variations: Amalia, Amelia, Emilia, Emily, Maria, Mariam, Mary, Maryam, Maya, Miriam, Salome.
- Namesakes: Mia Farrow, American Actress; Mia Kirshner, Canadian actress; Mia X, American rapper.
What Does Mia Mean?
The name Mia is most associated with the Spanish word mía and the Latin word mia, which both mean “mine.”
It is also considered an offshoot of the Slavic word mila, which means “dear” or “darling.” Throughout many translations, the name Mia has generally taken on a very affectionate tone. The most common meaning of the name Mia from different areas of the world is bright and friendly.
What Is the Origin of the Name Mia?
The origin of the name Mia most likely comes from the name Maria, a common name of Latin origin. The use of the name Mia has traditionally come as a nickname for other names, such as Maria or Amelia, and over time, it became a name of its own.
The name Mariah is a variation of other names such as Mary, Maryam, and Mariam. Due to the influence of the Christian bible and the Virgin Mary, variations of the names Mariam and Mariah became very common (1). Mia began as a nickname for these other, more common names.
How Popular is the name Mia?
Mia has been a reasonably popular name since its first surge in the 1960s as it became recognized as an official given name in the United States. During the 1960s, it saw a rise to becoming a popular name (ranking #226 for most famous names in the United States). Later in the 1990s, the name rose to a #120 ranking.
In more recent years, Mia has become a prevalent name as in the 2000s, it reached a ranking of #10, and in the 2010s, a ranking of #6. At this time, the name stands as the #8 most popular name in the United States (2).
How Do I Pronounce Mia?
The name Mia is pronounced as “MEE-uh.” The name is two syllables. It is pronounced similarly to the word “Korea.”
Is Mia A Boy or Girl Name?
The name Mia has traditionally been used as a name for girls, with a large majority of people in the past and present named Mia being girls.
In addition, the most public and famous people with the name Mia are women, which contributes to the use of the name for girls.
Variations of Mia
Mia is a lovely name with plenty of variations that pay homage to the original but with a bit of a twist.
- Amalia (German)
- Amelia (English, Spanish)
- Emelia (Italian)
- Emily (Roman, Latin)
- Maria (Latin)
- Mariam (Amharic, Arabic)
- Mary (English, Latin)
- Maryam (Amharic, Arabic)
- Maya (Greek, Roman)
- Miriam (Hebrew)
- Salome (Hebrew)
Nicknames for Mia
The name Mia is short, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get creative with your nicknames.
Similar Names to Mia
If you love Mia, you’ll also love these short, spunky names with plenty of personality.
Middle Names for Mia
Because the name Mia is so short, it can easily handle a more lengthy middle name to match.
Sibling Names for Mia
Parents who have children named Mia might appreciate these sibling names:
Famous People Named Mia
- Mia Farrow: American actress.
- Mia Hamm: American soccer player.
- Mia Kirshner: Canadian actress.
- Mia Sara: American actress.
- Mia Wasikowska: Australian actress and filmmaker.
- Mia Young (aka Mia X): American rapper, singer-songwriter, and actress.
Mia in Popular Culture
- Mia Allen: a character from the horror franchise The Evil Dead.
- Mia Dearden: sidekick to the Green Arrow from DC Comics.
- Mia Dolan: the main character from the 2016 film La La Land.
- Mia Fey: a character from the visual novel-style video game Phoenix Wright.
- Mia Jones: a character from the TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- Mia Thermopolis: the main character from The Princess Diaries movies.
- Mia Toretto: a character from The Fast and The Furious movie franchise.
- Mia Wallace: a character from the cult classic film Pulp Fiction.
- Mia Watanabe: a character from the 2011 season of Power Rangers Samurai.