- Meaning: Micah means “Who is like God?” It’s a first name from the Hebrew Bible, and is theophoric, which means it bears the name of God.
- Gender: Micah is a name primarily given to male babies. However, there are iterations of the name that are specific to females, though this is not yet as commonly found.
- Origin: The origin of the name Micah is Hebrew. It comes from the Hebrew Bible, or Old Testament, where there was “The Book of Micah,” about the prophet Micah.
- Pronunciation: Micah is pronounced as “MAI-kuh.” This pronunciation chooses to emphasize the first syllable.
- Popularity: Micah is a popular name and was in the top 150 names for boys (107th) in 2020. For girls, it was just over the top 1000.
- Nicknames: Ike, Mic, Mike, Mikey, Miko, Kuh.
- Variations: Micha, Michaiah, Michaihu, Michaeas, Michaias, Micheas, Mika, Mikhayahu, Mikhayhu, Myka.
- Namesakes: Micah Ian War Dog Wright, writer of Native American descent who wrote television, prose, comics, and video games.
- What Does the Name Micah Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Micah?
- How Popular Is the Name Micah?
- How Do I Pronounce Micah?
- Is Micah a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Micah
- Nicknames for Micah
- Similar Names to Micah
- Middle Names for Micah
- Sibling Names for Micah
- Famous People Named Micah
- Micah in Popular Culture
- Micah FAQs
What Does the Name Micah Mean?
Micah means “Who is like God?” or “Who is like Y-hw-h?” It is a given first name from the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament.
It is theophoric, which means it bears the name of God itself. “Y-h” means God (Y-hw-h), and Micha, deriving from Michael. It originally was Michaiah or Michaihu, then was shortened to simply “Micah.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Micah?
The origin of the name Micah is Hebrew. It comes from the Hebrew Bible, or Old Testament, where there was “The Book of Micah,” about the prophet Micah. Mikah the Prophet, or Micah of Moresheth, was famous in the bible for anticipating that Jerusalem would fall.
The name has since spread in popularity over thousands of years in Jewish communities.
How Popular Is the Name Micah?
Micah is a popular name. It ranks in the top 150 for boys (107th). For girls, it was just over the top 1000. This means more than 3500 babies (boys and girls combined) were born with the name in 2020 (1).
How Do I Pronounce Micah?
Micah is most commonly pronounced as “MAI-kuh.” This pronunciation chooses to emphasize the first syllable.
Is Micah a Boy or Girl Name?
Micah is a name primarily given to male babies. However, there are iterations of the name that are specific to females, though this is not yet as commonly found. An example of this is “Myka.”
Variations of Micah
Micah is a popular name with biblical ties that have spread between nations, beliefs, and cultures. Some popular variations include:
- Micha (German and Dutch)
- Michaiah (Hebrew)
- Michaihu (Hebrew)
- Michaeas (Latin)
- Michaias (Greek)
- Micheas (Latin)
- Myka (Hebrew)
- Mikhayahu (Hebrew)
- Mikhayhu (Hebrew)
Nicknames for Micah
While there are numerous variations, only a few nicknames exist in comparison, such as:
Similar Names to Micah
There are also a handful of names similar to Micah, some of which are biblical while others are not. These include:
Middle Names for Micah
Micah is often a middle name itself, but some great pairings with it as a first name include:
Sibling Names for Micah
Many names go great alongside Micah for a sibling, whether boy or girl. Some of the most popular are:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Micah
There are also many famous people named Micah, though none of them are quite household names.
Some famous Micahs include:
- Micah P. Hinsen: An American guitarist and singer, known for his work in the Americana music scene.
- Micah Solusod: An American voice actor known for his work in anime, including cartoons featured on Toonami.
- Micah Richards: Former English football player (soccer), sports analyst, commentator, and ambassador of Manchester City.
- Micah Ian War Dog Wright: An Native American writer of television, prose, comics, and video games.
- Pastor Micah Troy: An influential contemporary pastor.
Micah in Popular Culture
Today, many Micahs are characters in pop culture as well.
You might recognize these fictional characters:
- King Micah: Character from the TV show “She-Ra: Princess of Power.”
- Micah Bell lll: Primary antagonist from the video game Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Micah Clarke: Character from the book Micah Clarke.
- Micah Rains: Character from the comic book Wonder Woman.
- Micah Sanders: Character from the TV show “Heroes.”
Here are some frequently asked questions about the name Micah.