- Meaning: Lauren means “crowned with laurel” in French.
- Gender: Lauren is a girl’s name in the United States but has been masculine in the past.
- Origin: Lauren came from the Roman surname of Laurentius. The French changed it to be a male first name, Laurence.
- Pronunciation: Lauren is “Law-ren.” If you spell it like Loren, the pronunciation may change, but it depends on the person.
- Popularity: Lauren was once a name in the top 10, but its popularity fluctuates. It’s currently ranked as the 232nd most popular girl’s name. It isn’t ranked at all for boys’ names in the United States.
- Nicknames: Lar, Laur, Lor, Lo, Lolo, Lon, Lonny, Ren
- Variations: Laura, Laurena, Laurens, Lauryn, Laryn, Loren, Lorens, Lorin
- Namesakes: Lauren Bacall, American actress.
- What Does Lauren Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Lauren?
- How Popular is the Name Lauren?
- How Do I Pronounce Lauren?
- Is Lauren a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Lauren
- Nicknames for Lauren
- Similar Names to Lauren
- Middle Names for Lauren
- Sibling Names for Lauren
- Famous People Named Lauren
- Lauren in Popular Culture
- Lauren FAQs
What Does Lauren Mean?
Lauren means “crowned with laurel” in French, but it also can mean “praise,” “renown,” and “wisdom”. There’s also an ancient Italian city named Laurus, which could be the root of the name for Italian people.
What is the Origin of the Name Lauren?
The name Lauren came from the Roman name Laurentius (1). The name was typically a surname, but the French changed it to be a first name, Laurence. Laurence is the male version of the name. It was then changed to Lauren for both males and females.
How Popular is the Name Lauren?
Lauren was a very popular name in the 1980s and 1990s, constantly on the top 25 list. Currently, it’s the 232nd most popular girl’s name, according to the Social Security Administration (2). It doesn’t even chart on the top 1,000 for boys’ names anymore.
How Do I Pronounce Lauren?
Pronounce Lauren as “Law-ren.” When spelled differently, such as Loren, the pronunciation may change, but it depends on the person.
Is Lauren a Boy or Girl Name?
Lauren was historically a unisex name, given to boys and girls equally. However, in modern times it has mostly been used for girls, especially in the United States. The male version of the name is Laurence.
Variations of Lauren
If you like the name Lauren but want something a little different, there are plenty of variations. They include:
- Laura (Italian)
- Laurena (Spanish, Portuguese, English, Brazilian, Italian)
- Laurens (Dutch)
- Laurynn (French)
- Laryn (Scottish)
- Loren (Spanish)
- Lorens (Swedish)
- Lorin (Italian)
Nicknames for Lauren
Though Lauren has two syllables, it can seem tough to make a nickname from this name. Some are natural derivatives of the name, while others are more playful. Some common nicknames for Lauren include:
Similar Names to Lauren
Some people like the sound of the name Lauren, but don’t want to use it. If you’re looking for other French names, you might like:
If you like names that start with the letter “L,” you can choose from names such as:
Middle Names for Lauren
Lauren is a great name because you can do so much with the middle name. Lauren has two syllables but doesn’t seem too long or too short. Therefore, you can choose a middle name of any length and keep things balanced.
Though Lauren is a classic name, you can play it up by using another timeless name for the middle. Or you might choose to go with something current and trendy. Factor in your last name as well to make sure the full name flows nicely.
Some middle names for Lauren include:
Sibling Names for Lauren
If you have a daughter named Lauren and plan to introduce a sibling soon, you’ll want to think of names that sound good together. Classic names are best, though you can mix it up with something non-traditional as well.
For brothers, good sibling names include:
If your Lauren will be getting a sister, good sibling names include:
Famous People Named Lauren
There are many famous people named Lauren. They’re artists, actresses, politicians, authors, and more. Check out this list of famous Laurens and see if you can think of others. Some well-known people named Lauren include:
- Lauren Bacall: American actress.
- Lauren Belfer: American writer.
- Lauren Ashley Carter: American actress and producer.
- Lauren Chamberlain: American softball player.
- Lauren Child: British author and illustrator.
- Lauren Dukoff: American photographer.
- Lauren Ervin: American basketball player.
- Lauren Gardner: American sportscaster.
- Lauren Hart: American musician.
- Lauren Kessler: American author.
- Lauren Lyle: Scottish actress.
- Lauren S. McCready: Founder of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
Lauren in Popular Culture
Lauren is a great name for your little one, but it’s also a popular choice for characters in books, movies, and TV shows. Check out these Laurens in popular culture, such as:
- Lauren Ackerman: Fictional character in TV show iCarly.
- Lauren Fenmore Baldwin: Fictional character in the soap opera The Young and the Restless.
- Lauren Branning: Fictional character in the TV series EastEnders.
- Lauren Cooper: Fictional character in The Catherine Tate Show.
- Lauren Mallory: Fictional character in the Twilight novels and movies.
- Lauren Miller: Fictional character in the TV show Family Ties.
- Lauren Reed: Fictional character in the TV series Alias.
- Lauren Strucker: Fictional character in the TV show The Gifted.
- Lauren Valentine: Fictional character in the soap opera Hollyoaks.
- Lauren Zizes: Fictional character in the TV series Glee.
You know the origin of the name, possible nicknames, famous Laurens, and more. In case you still want to know more about Lauren, check out these frequently asked questions.
Is Lauren a Rare Name?
Lauren isn’t a rare name. It used to be very popular in the 1980s and 1990s, reaching the top 10 of the most popular names list. However, since then it has decreased in popularity. It’s currently ranked as the 232nd most popular girl’s name. So while it isn’t rare, you can use this name without worrying that your daughter will have five other Laurens in her class.
Is There a Nickname for Lauren?
Yes, common nicknames include Lar, Lo, Lon, and more. You can always come up with a unique nickname for the Lauren in your life!