- Meaning: Brandon means “fiery hill.” Brandon was used as a place name with both Welsh and Dutch language influences.
- Gender: Brandon is primarily given to boys.
- Origin: Brandon originates from the Old English words “brant” (“steep”) and “dun” (“hill”).
- Pronunciation: The most common pronunciation of Brandon is “BRAN-dun.”
- Popularity: The name Brandon is popular in the United States, and was particularly so in the 1990s. It ranked 166 in 2020.
- Nicknames: Brand, Brant, Don, Donnie, Bran, Brandy, Brando.
- Variations: Bran, Brand, Brandan, Branden, Brandin, Brandyn, Branford, Branson, Brant, Brendan, Brenden, Brennan, Brennen, Brent, Brenton.
- Namesakes: Brandon Flowers (American singer), Brandon Hall (American actor), Brandon Lee (American actor and martial artist).
- What Does Brandon Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Brandon?
- How Popular Is the Name Brandon?
- How Do I Pronounce Brandon?
- Is Brandon a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Brandon
- Nicknames for Brandon
- Similar Names to Brandon
- Middle Names for Brandon
- Sibling Names for Brandon
- Famous People Named Brandon
- Brandon in Popular Culture
- Brandon FAQs
What Does Brandon Mean?
The name Brandon comes from an Old English origin, translating to “fiery hill”. Brandon was originally used as a surname and derived from a place name meaning “hill covered with broom.” The Old English word “brant” means steep, while “dun” means “hill.” Brandon is also a variation of another common name, Brendan.
Brandon is still used to name four different towns and villages in England. There are Irish and French variations of the name Brandon.
What Is the Origin of the Name Brandon?
Brandon is a traditional and masculine name with Anglo-Saxon and Celtic roots. There are debatable sources of where Brandon originally comes from, with various meanings in Old English and Irish.
As stated previously, Brandon was used as a place name, the meaning translating directly to “gorse hill.” Gorse is an evergreen shrub with shiny yellow flowers. Brandon was used as a last name for many years before becoming a given name.
The Irish word “bréanainn” and the Old Welsh word “breenhin,” meaning “prince” or “chieftain,” have both influenced the development of the name Brandon. “Brom” translates to “gorse bush.”
In the Dutch language, Brandon means “sword” and has symbolism in several countries. A few interpretations of Brandon include “raven,” “torch,” and “beacon.”
How Popular Is the Name Brandon?
Brandon has declined in popularity but remains in the top 200 names for boys in the United States. In the early 1990s, Brandon reached peak popularity, claiming a spot in the top ten. Between 1992 and 1994, it held the number six position.
Reflecting that, Brandon remains a fairly common name. It ranked at number 166 for baby boys born in 2020 (1).
How Do I Pronounce Brandon?
The name Brandon has only two syllables. Given that, the most common pronunciation is “BRAN-dun”.
Is Brandon a Boy or Girl Name?
Brandon is traditionally a boy’s name, but there are feminine variations, including Brandy, Brawen, and Brenda. The latter is the only one that shares an origin with Brandon.
Variations of Brandon
The name Brandon has been used for centuries and has inspired numerous variations, such as:
- Bran (Welsh)
- Brand (German)
- Brandan (English)
- Branden (English)
- Brandin (English)
- Brandyn (English)
- Branford (English)
- Branson (English)
- Brant (German)
- Brendan (English)
- Brenden (Irish)
- Brennan (Irish)
- Brennen (Irish)
- Brent (English)
- Brenton (English)
Nicknames for Brandon
Brandom has many nicknames associated with it, including:
Similar Names to Brandon
There are many similar names to Brandon, some of which also have Celtic roots:
Middle Names for Brandon
Brandon pairs well with many other names, regardless of their origins. In particular, the following are excellent choices:
Sibling Names for Brandon
Do you already have a son named Brandon? If you have a boy or girl on the way, then these would make great choices for a sibling:
For a Brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Brandon
There are a few famous people named Brandon. Some of the most notable include:
- Brandon Hall: American actor.
- Brandon James Routh: American actor.
- Brandon Lee: actor and martial artist, son of Bruce Lee.
- Brandon Richard Flowers: American singer.
- Brandon Sanderson: American novelist.
- Brandon Tartikoff: American TV executive.
- Brandon Tyrone Marshall: American NFL player.
Brandon in Popular Culture
The name Brandon has also appeared in popular culture. You might recognize the following:
- Brandon Lake: Main character in the adventure book series “The Invisible Detective.”
- Brandon “Badger” Mayhew: Character in the TV series “Breaking Bad.”
- Brandon Scofield: Character in the novel “The Matarese Circle.”
- Brandon (Bran) Stark: Character in the fantasy series “Game of Thrones.”
- Brandon Walsh: Character in the TV show “Beverly Hills, 90210.”
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about the name Brandon.
What Does the Name Brandon Mean for Personality?
Brandon signifies people who are encouraging and relaxing. They’re accepting, genuine, and dependable people. What’s more, Brandons love freedom and are free-spirited, always looking for change and adventure.
Despite that, people named Brandon are sensible, inquisitive, and shy. They can come off as reserved and mysterious to those who don’t know them. They’re independent, respectable, and intellectual with a natural confidence that makes them easy to cooperate within an adapting environment. People with the name Brandon place the utmost importance on companionship.
When Was the Name Brandon First Used?
The Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain used Brandon as a last name due to the countless villages in the area. Brandon dates back to 1060 in Lincolnshire, with various spellings listed in the Domesday Book of 1086, such as Brandona, Brandune, and Brandun (2).
The first Duke of Suffolk, Charles Brandon, lived from 1484 to 1545, so you can see that Brandon is an ancient name with a rich history.
How Do You Pronounce Brandon in Spanish?
Pronouncing Brandon in Spanish is very similar to the English pronunciation, with more emphasis on the “R” sound at the beginning, and the “O” sound at the end of the name.