- Meaning: Cameron means “crooked nose” or “crooked river.”
- Gender: Cameron is a unisex name that’s more popular with boys.
- Origin: Cameron is a Scottish boy’s name that was originally a surname. It referred to the area of the country where the family lived. Over time, as a first name, professionals traced it back to Gaelic to mean “crooked nose.”
- Pronunciation: You pronounce Cameron as “Kam-ren” or “Kam-uh-ruhn.”
- Popularity: The name Cameron is very common for boys and somewhat popular for girls, but it’s hit its peak for both names in decades past.
- Nicknames: Cam, Cammy, Cams, Ron, Ronny
- Variations: Camerin, Camren, Camron, Camryn, Kameron, Kamryn
- Namesakes: Cameron Crowe, writer and director.
- What Does Cameron Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Cameron?
- How Popular Is the Name Cameron?
- How Do I Pronounce Cameron?
- Is Cameron a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Cameron
- Nicknames for Cameron
- Similar Names to Cameron
- Middle Names for Cameron
- Sibling Names for Cameron
- Famous People Named Cameron
- Cameron in Popular Culture
- Cameron FAQs
What Does Cameron Mean?
In Scotland, Cameron means “crooked nose” or “crooked river.” It was commonly a surname but became widespread as a first name in recent decades. It’s not purely about looks, though—it was also a name given based on families’ locations when they lived in Scotland.
What Is the Origin of the Name Cameron?
Cameron comes from the Gaelic word “cam sron,” meaning “crooked nose”. It’s also thought to come from “cam abhainn,” which means “crooked river.” There are many locations called Cameron in Scotland, which is how it got its roots as a surname.
How Popular Is the Name Cameron?
Cameron is a popular name, though it ranks higher on the boys’ chart than for the girls. It’s the 64th most popular boy’s name at present, making it very popular. For girls, it currently ranks at 489, making it popular but not very common.
The name Cameron became a popular choice for boys in the 1980s and peaked in 2000 when it was the 31st most popular name.
How Do I Pronounce Cameron?
The name Cameron is commonly pronounced as “kam-rehn.” However, some people pronounce it the way you spell it, opting for “kam-uh-ruhn” instead.
Is Cameron a Boy or Girl Name?
Cameron is a gender-neutral name. You can use it for both boys and girls. Throughout history, it’s often used for boys, but there’s no rule about it.
Variations of Cameron
There are different ways you can spell Cameron if you like the name but want something unique. These alternate spellings include:
Nicknames for Cameron
Sometimes nicknames develop due to someone’s personality, so they can be vastly different from the person’s given name. But if you want ideas for nicknames that come from the name Cameron, check out these options:
Similar Names to Cameron
If you want a different name that resembles Cameron, you can choose a similar name. Some options include:
Middle Names for Cameron
When choosing a middle name, you might like something that has a similar sound to Cameron. That gives a lyrical sense to your child’s name.
You can also choose something with the same starting sound for alliteration. Of course, you could choose something because you like it or because it’s a family name.
Since Cameron is a long name with three syllables, you might want to choose a shorter middle name. However, this depends on the last name.
Having three syllables in each name can make a statement. Or, if you have a short last name, you might prefer a longer middle name to better balance it out.
Here are some middle names that sound good with Cameron:
Sibling Names for Cameron
If you want Cameron to have a similar name to his siblings, you can choose something that fits the overall aesthetic of this name. Some great names to match with Cameron include:
Famous People Named Cameron
There are many famous people named Cameron. You’ll find examples of the name on the sports field, in TV shows and movies, and active in politics. Here are some of the most famous people named Cameron:
- Cameron Britton: American actor.
- Cameron Crowe: American writer and director.
- Cameron Diaz: American actress.
- Cameron Jordan: Football player for the New Orleans Saints.
- Cameron Kerry: American politician.
- Camryn Manheim: American actress.
- Cameron McEvoy: Australian swimmer.
- Cameron Neely: Canadian hockey player.
- Cameron Newton: Football player for the New England Patriots.
- Cameron Russell: American fashion model.
- Cameron Smith: Australian golfer.
- Cameron Waters: Australian race car driver.
Cameron in Popular Culture
Cameron isn’t just a great name in reality; it’s also prevalent for use in books, TV shows, and movies. Here are some of the biggest Camerons in popular culture:
- Cameron Black: Fictional character in the show Deception.
- Cameron Chase: Fictional character in DC Comics.
- Cameron Clark: Fictional character in the soap opera Hollyoaks.
- Cameron Frye: Fictional character in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
- Cameron Mitchell: Fictional character in the TV show Stargate SG-1.
- Cameron Murray: Fictional character in the soap opera Emmerdale.
- Cameron Phillips: Fictional character in the Terminator TV series.
- Cameron Tucker: Fictional character on the sitcom Modern Family.
You have plenty of background information about the name Cameron. If you need any more answers, check out these frequently asked questions.