The meaning, origins, popularity, and variations of the name Jason make it a popular and great name for a boy. Below is a summary of what we’ve learned:
- Meaning: The name Jason means “healer” or “the Lord is salvation.”
- Gender: Jason is traditionally used as a male name.
- Origin: Jason comes from both Greek and Hebrew, with mythological and biblical origins.
- Pronunciation: The name Jason is pronounced “JAY-suhn.”
- Popularity: Jason is a very popular name and has remained popular over the last several decades, with a significant spike in the 70s.
- Nicknames: Jace, Jasp, JJ, Jay, J Bean, J Fun.
- Variations: Iason, Jace, Jase, Jayce, Jay, Jaye, Jayceon, Jayson.
- Namesakes: Jason Bateman, Jason Momoa, Jason Mraz, Jason Statham.
- What Does Jason Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Jason?
- How Popular Is the Name Jason?
- How Do I Pronounce Jason?
- Is Jason a Boy’s or Girl’s Name?
- Variations of Jason
- Nicknames for Jason
- Similar Names to Jason
- Middle Names for Jason
- Sibling Names for Jason
- Famous People Named Jason
- Jason in Popular Culture
- Jason FAQs
What Does Jason Mean?
The name Jason most closely translates to “healer” or “the Lord is salvation.” Its meaning differs based on which origin of the name you look at, as each origin offers a different translation.
What Is the Origin of the Name Jason?
The name Jason has both Greek and Hebrew origins. In the Greek language, the name comes from the word “iaomi,” which translates to English as “to heal.” Thus, Jason as a name means “healer.”
The Hebrew origins are a bit different. The Hebrew language translates Jason to “the Lord is salvation.” Jason is referred to once in the Bible.
How Popular Is the Name Jason?
At present time, the name Jason is very popular, ranking high on the list, particularly in the United States. While the name is still well-liked today, it reached its peak popularity in the mid-70s, when it was the number two ranked name for men in the U.S..
The name remained consistently in the top ten from 1971 to the early 1980s. Though it has dropped slightly in rank, it remains a popular choice today.
How Do I Pronounce Jason?
The name Jason is pronounced “JAY-suhn”. Emphasize the word on the first syllable, “JAY,” to pronounce it correctly.
Is Jason a Boy’s or Girl’s Name?
Historically, the name Jason has been considered a masculine name.
During its peak popularity in the United States, parents occasionally gave this name to girls. However, the spike was pretty insignificant and dropped off in the mid-80s.
Variations of Jason
Jason is spelled as seen throughout this post, but there are some variations of the name:
- Iason (Latin, Greek)
- Jace/Jase (English)
- Jayce (English)
- Jay/Jaye (English)
- Jayceon (English
- Jayson (English)
Nicknames for Jason
When considering Jason as a baby name, many people like to consider the possibility of a nickname. Below are some nickname options for the name Jason:
- J Bean
- J Fun
Similar Names to Jason
There are plenty of other names that either sound similar to Jason or have similar meanings. If you like the name Jason, you might want to consider one of these similar names:
Middle Names for Jason
Coming up with a first name can be tricky enough, but your work doesn’t stop there. Here are some ideas for a middle name that sounds good when used with Jason:
Sibling Names for Jason
You may be considering the names of current or future siblings for the name Jason. You can choose to stick with the letter “J” or opt for another name that sounds good with it:
Famous People Named Jason
It’s always fun to share a name with a celebrity. These famous people all share the first name, Jason:
- Jason Aldean: American country music singer.
- Jason Bateman: American actor, producer, and director.
- Jason Derulo: American singer, songwriter, and dancer.
- Jason Giambi: American professional basketball player.
- Jason Isaacs: British actor and producer.
- Jason Kidd: American professional basketball coach.
- Jason Mraz: American singer-songwriter and actor.
- Jason Momoa: American actor.
- Jason Ritter: American actor.
- Jason Segel: American actor, screenwriter, comedian, and producer.
- Jason Statham: British actor and film producer.
Jason in Popular Culture
Just as how it may be exciting to share a name with a celebrity, it can be equally as fun to share a name with a character. Here are some Jasons from popular culture:
- Jason Bourne: The Bourne Identity movies.
- Jason Dean: Heathers movie character.
- Jason DiLaurentis: Pretty Little Liars TV show character.
- Jason Gideon: Criminal Minds TV show character.
- Jason Gray: Character from the Camp Rock movies.
- Jason Lee Scott: Red Power Ranger.
- Jason Stiles: Character from the Gilmore Girls TV show.
- Jason Voorhees: Character from the Friday the 13th movies.
- Jason Wise: Character in Final Destination 3.
Choosing a name is challenging and a hefty responsibility, so we understand if you have some more questions. Below are some frequently asked questions that might help you out.
Who Was Jason in the Bible?
Jason is mentioned in the Bible in the book of Acts. Historically, he was known as a prominent Christian from Thessalonica. In Acts, Jason takes in the Apostle Paul and Silas during their journey to Macedonia.
Paul also greets Jason in his letter to the Romans with Timothy and Sosipater during his trip to Greece and Macedonia.
What Is the Spanish Version of Jason?
Unlike other names, we spell the Spanish version of Jason the same way: Jason. If a Spanish-speaking person were to pronounce the name, it might sound slightly different given their accent.
Some Spanish-speaking people may also spell or pronounce the name as Jazon, Jacian, or Jacinto.
What Does Jason Stand For?
In addition to the meanings of the name Jason, the name also has two acronyms that people sometimes use. The first stands for “July, August, September, October, November.”
People sometimes use the name Jason as a joke, with its letters standing for “Junior Achiever, Somewhat Older Now.”