- Meaning: Jace, a diminutive of Jason, means “healer.” It is also related to the Hebrew name, Joshua, which means “Yahweh is salvation.”
- Gender: Jace is most commonly used as a masculine name.
- Origin: Jace derives from the Greek word “iásōn” and the name Jason, but Jace was popularized in the United States.
- Pronunciation: “j-AI-s.”
- Popularity: Jace has been a very popular name in recent years.
- Variations: Jase, Jayce, Jacie, Jay.
- Namesakes: Jace Bugg, Jace Everett, Jace Fry.
What Does Jace Mean?
The name Jace is a nickname for Jason, meaning healer. Another meaning applied to this name is Yahweh is lord or salvation. Joshua shares this meaning. The meaning of Joshua applies to Jace since Jason is the Hebrew variation of Joshua (1).
What is the Origin of the Name Jace?
Jace has long been used as a nickname and popularized as a first name in the twentieth century. The origins of the name Jace can be traced back to ancient times.
While most consider the origin to come from Greek, many consider the Hebrew origin when choosing this name for their child.
How Popular is the Name Jace?
The name Jace has grown steadily in popularity in the United States since the 1950s and experienced exponential growth from 1990, when it ranked #550 in the US, to 2013, when it reached peak popularity at #66 (2).
The name has stayed very popular since 2013 but recently dropped out of the top one hundred most popular baby names. However, it only dropped to #102, so we wouldn’t be surprised if this name is back at the top soon.
How Do I Pronounce Jace?
Jace is pronounced like “j-AI-s.” It rhymes with “ace.”
Is Jace a Boy or Girl Name?
Traditionally, Jace is considered a masculine name. Jace has also been used as a last name, though it’s rarer than its use as a first name or nickname.
Variations of Jace
There are several variations of the name Jace including feminine variations and alternative spellings. These were some of our favorites:
Nicknames for Jace
Even though the name Jace is short, there are still lots of cute nicknames for you to use. People with J names often go by their first and middle initials. Keep this in mind when planning out your child’s full name. Check out some of these suggestions on nicknames for Jace:
Similar Names to Jace
Jace, a name with multiple origins, has many similar names with the same derivatives. If this name doesn’t sound quite like what you had in mind for the new addition to your family, consider some of these alternatives:
Middle Names for Jace
Lots of middle names go great with Jace. There are many options, including names with shared origins and others with a nice ring. These were some of our top picks to use for your little Jace:
Sibling Names for Jace
If you already have an adorable Jace in the family and need help finding some suggestions, we’ve got you covered! Some of these are Greek or Hebrew in origin, just like Jace, but we also chose others that sound great together. These were our top picks:
Famous People Named Jace
Many notable people have the name Jace, including professional athletes and entertainers. These are just a few famous people who will share the name with your baby if you choose this name (3).
- Jace Bugg: American golfer; best known for winning the Nationwide Tour winner in 2002 and the Jace Bugg Award named in his honor.
- Jace Everett: American singer-songwriter whose song “Bad Things” was used as the theme for HBO’s True Blood.
- Jace Fry: American professional baseball player who has played for the White Sox and Washington Nationals.
- Jace Norman: American actor; star of Nickelodeon’s Henry Danger and will reprise the role in an upcoming movie.
- Jase Robertson: American television personality featured on A&E’s reality show Duck Dynasty.
- Jace Sternberger: American football tight end drafted to the Packers in the 2019 NFL Draft.
- Jace Whittaker: American football cornerback signed by the Arizona Cardinals.
Jace in Popular Culture
The name Jace has been used frequently in popular culture. These are some of our favorite fictional characters using the name:
- Jace Beleren: a character in Magic: The Gathering’s fictional universe of games, novels, and cards.
- Jace Corso: one of the characters in the Canadian space opera television series, Dark Matter.
- Jase Dyer: a character from the BBC’s EastEnders.
- Jace Herondale: a shadowhunter in The Mortal Instruments universe appearing in books and the television adaptation.
- Jason “Jace” Newfield: a character in the Disney Chanel’s Going to the Mat.
Still, have questions about the name Jace? These are the answers to our most frequently asked questions about the name.