- Meaning: The name Mason means “one who works with stone.”
- Gender: The name is primarily male, but in recent years has been used as a female name as well.
- Origin: The origin of Mason is English.
- Pronunciation: The name Mason is pronounced “MAY-suhn.”
- Popularity: The name Mason is very trendy, popularized by Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick.
- Nicknames: Ace, Mace, Maisie, Mase, May, May-May, Maze, Sonny, Sun, Sunny
- Variations: Macen, Madon, Maison, Masen, Masson, Masyn, Maysen, Mayson
- Namesakes: Mason Dash Disick, Mason Dye, Mason Greenwood.
- What Does Mason Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Mason?
- How Popular is the Name Mason?
- How Do I Pronounce Mason?
- Is Mason a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Mason
- Nicknames for Mason
- Similar Names to Mason
- Middle Names for Mason
- Sibling Names for Mason
- Famous People Named Mason
- Mason in Popular Culture
- Mason FAQs
What Does Mason Mean?
The name Mason means “stoneworker” or “bricklayer.” It comes from the medieval practice of a person’s surname coming from their professions, such as Smith, Cooper, or Baker.
What is the Origin of the Name Mason?
The name Mason originated in the 11th century from the Old French word “masson” and the Germanic word “macian,” both of which mean “to make.”
It was for those who had completed an apprenticeship with a master stonemason.
How Popular is the Name Mason?
Mason first came into use as a given name in the 19th century but did not become truly popular until the 1970s.
The name Mason was at its most popular in 2011 and 2012, in which it was the second most popular name given to baby boys. It is attributed to TV personalities Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick naming their son Mason in 2009 (1).
At present, the name Mason is quite trendy. It is the eighteenth most popular name given to baby boys (2).
How Do I Pronounce Mason?
The name Mason is pronounced “MAY-suhn.” Though there are several variant spellings, they are all pronounced this way.
Is Mason a Boy or Girl Name?
Mason is most commonly used as a boy’s name. Though it is traditionally a male name, it can also be a girl name.
Variations of Mason
Variations of the name Mason include:
The given name is used primarily in English-speaking countries and has no variants in other languages.
Nicknames for Mason
Possible nicknames for a child named Mason include:
Similar Names to Mason
Names that are similar to Mason in sound and meaning include:
Middle Names for Mason
Some possible middle names for a child named Mason include:
Sibling Names for Mason
Some possible names for the sibling of a child named Mason include the following.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Mason
Celebrities and well-known public figures who share the name Mason include:
- John Landis Mason: American tinsmith and inventor of the Mason jar.
- Mason Adams: American actor and voiceover artist.
- Mason Cook: American actor.
- Mason Cooley: American aphorist.
- Mason Dash Disick: Son of American TV personalities Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick.
- Mason Dye: American actor.
- Mason Greenwood: English professional footballer.
- Mason Mastroianni: American comic book artist.
- Mason Ramsey: American singer and viral video star.
- Mason Williams: American guitarist and composer.
Mason in Popular Culture
The name Mason pops up in several places in popular culture. Characters and media that feature it include:
- Mason Ashford: Character in the young adult supernatural book series “The Vampire Academy” by Richelle Mead and its 2014 film adaptation.
- Mason Evans Jr.: Character in the 2014 experimental drama film “Boyhood.”
- Mason Lockwood: Character in the supernatural drama TV series “The Vampire Diaries.”
- Mason Pines: Character in Disney XD’s 2012 animated mystery series “Gravity Falls,” also known as Dipper.
- Mason Storm: Character in the 1990 Steven Seagal action film “Hard to Kill.”
- Mason Strode: Character in Rob Zombie’s 2007 remake of the horror film “Halloween.”
- Mason Verger: Character in the 1999 novel “Hannibal,” as well as its 2001 film adaptation and the 2013 TV series “Hannibal.”
- Alex Mason: Character in Activision’s “Call of Duty: Black Ops” first-person shooter video game series.
- Harry Mason: Character in Konami’s survival horror video games “Silent Hill” and “Silent Hill 3.”
- Johanna Mason: Character in the young adult dystopian book series “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins.
- Marla Mason: Character in the “Marla Mason” fantasy book series by Tim Pratt.
- Perry Mason: Character in the 1943 radio series, 1957 TV series, 1933 to 1973 novels, and other media of the same name.
Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the name Mason: