- Meaning: The name Max is usually short for Maximus or its variants, which mean “greatest,” or Maxwell, which means “great stream.”
- Gender: Max can be used for both boys and girls.
- Origin: Latin/English/Scottish.
- Pronunciation: The name is pronounced “MAKS.”
- Popularity: The name is currently popular.
- Nicknames: Big Mac, Em, LilMaxy, Maxibear, Maxidoodle, Maxmus.
- Variations: Macsen, Magnus, Maks, Maksim, Maksym, Massimo, Maxen, Maxence, Maxi, Maxim, Máximo, Maxine, Miksa, Milian.
- Namesakes: Max Baer, Max Fleischer, Max Manus.
What Does Max Mean?
While the name can be given on its own, Max is usually short for the names Maximus, Maxwell, and their many variants.
Maximilian and Maximus both mean “greatest.”
Maxwell means “Mack’s stream” or “great stream.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Max?
The name Max is derived from the Latin boy name Maximus and the Scottish-English name Maxwell. The latter is itself derived from the Scandinavian name Magnus.
How Popular Is the Name Max?
Max has been a consistently popular name since the widespread usage of the name Maximus in the Classical Era, which spanned from the 8th century BCE to the 6th century CE.
At the moment, the name Max is popular. It is the one hundred fifty-ninth most popular name given to baby boys (1). The female variant, Maxine, is fairly popular. It is the seven hundred and the first most popular name given to baby girls (2).
How Do I Pronounce Max?
In English, the name Max is pronounced, “MAKS.”
Is Max a Boy or Girl Name?
Max can be both a boy’s name and a girl’s name. It is more commonly used as a boy’s name since there are more male variants of Maximus.
Variations of Max
There are several variations of the name Max. Some are included here:
- Macsen (Welsh)
- Magnus (Scandinavian)
- Maks (Russian)
- Maksim (Macedonian)
- Maksym (Polish)
- Massimo (Italian)
- Maxen (Welsh)
- Maxence (French)
- Maxi (German)
- Maxim (Ukrainian)
- Maxine (Latin, feminine)
- Miksa (Hungarian)
- Milian (Norwegian, Swedish)
- Máximo (Spanish)
Nicknames for Max
Though Max is already a short version of many variants, it can be endearing to attach some nicknames to the name such as:
- Big Mac
Similar Names to Max
Some names that are similar in sound or meaning to Max include:
Middle Names for Max
Some possible middle names for a child named Max include:
Sibling Names for Max
Here are some possible names for the sibling of a child named Max.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Max
The name Max and its variants are very popular around the world. Celebrities and well-known public figures that share the name include:
- Max Ernst: German artist and poet.
- Max Fleischer: American animator, film director, and producer.
- Maxim Staviski: Bulgarian ice dancer.
- Maximilian Adelbert Baer: American professional boxer.
- Maximilian Schmeling: German professional boxer.
- Maximillion Drake Thieriot: American actor and director.
- Maximo Guillermo Manus: Norwegian resistance fighter in World War II.
- Maxine Brown: American country singer.
- Maxwell Braden Mittelman: American voice actor.
- Maxwell Caulfield: British-American actor.
- Maxwell Jacob Friedman: American professional wrestler.
- Maxwell Lemuel Roach: American jazz drummer and composer.
Max in Popular Culture
The name Max pops up very often in popular culture. A few of the characters and media that feature the name include:
- Max Cady: character in the 1957 thriller novel The Executioners and its 1962 and 1991 film adaptations, both titled Cape Fear.
- Max Goof: character in various Disney movies and cartoons, including the 1995 movie A Goofy Movie.
- Max Payne: character in Rockstar Studios’ neo-noir video game series Max Payne.
- Max Rebo: character in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.
- Max Rockatansky: character in the action film series Mad Max.
- Max: character in the 1999 children’s animated series Dragon Tales.
- Max: character in the 2002 anime Pokemon: Advanced Generation.
- Max: character in the 2005 children’s film The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D.
- Maxie Zeus: character in DC Comics’ Batman comics.
- Maximilian Zorin: character in the 1985 James Bond film A View to Kill.
- Maximillion Pegasus: character in the 2000 anime Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Maximus Decimus Meridius: character in the 2000 historical drama Gladiator.
- Maxine Mayfield: character in the 2016 science fiction horror series Stranger Things.
- Maxwell Q. Klinger: character in the 1972 war-comedy-drama series M*A*S*H.
- Maxwell Sheffield: character in the 1993 sitcom The Nanny.
Here are some of the answers to the most commonly asked questions about the name Max.
What Does the Name Max Mean in the Bible?
The name Max does not appear in the Bible. However, several important figures in Christian history share the name and its variants.
One notable example is Saint Maximus of Aquila, patron saint of the city of Aquila, Italy. Another is Saint Maximilian Kolbe, patron saint of recovery from drug addiction, journalists, and prisoners.
Is Max a Strong Name?
Yes. Max is derived in part from the Latin word Maximus, which means “greatest” or “largest.” It implies that the person who bears the name is the best of the best. It is associated with the most power and prestige someone can have.
The name is frequently given to heroic fictional characters for this reason.
How Popular Is the Name Max in the United Kingdom?
At the moment, the name Max is more popular in the United Kingdom than it is in the United States. It is the thirty-third most popular name given to baby boys.
What Personality Attaches to the Name Max?
The name Max gives the impression that one has an electrifying personality that is bound to attract powerful ideas.