- Meaning: The name Justin means “fair” or “righteous” or “just.”
- Gender: Justin is primarily used as a male name.
- Origin: The name Justin has its roots in the Latin language, stemming from the name Iustinus.
- Pronunciation: The name Justin is pronounced: “juhs-tin.”
- Popularity: The name Justin has been circulating since the late 1800s, and it has peaked several times since then. In the United States, it ranked 168th in 2020.
- Nicknames: Big J, Jay, Jaz, JB, Jost, JT, Juney, Jus, Jussy, Just, Just-in-Time, Justy, Tin.
- Variations: Giustino, Jestin, Joost, Justis, Justino, Justus, Justyn.
- Namesakes: Justin Bieber, Justin Chambers, Justin Moore, Justin Timberlake, and Justin Verlander.
- What Does Justin Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Justin?
- How Popular Is the Name Justin?
- How Do I Pronounce Justin?
- Is Justin a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Justin
- Nicknames for Justin
- Similar Names to Justin
- Middle Names for Justin
- Sibling Names for Justin
- Famous People Named Justin
- Justin in Popular Culture
- Justin FAQs
What Does Justin Mean?
The meaning of the name Justin is quite similar to the name itself. Justin means “just,” or “upright, righteous.” In other words, Justin is an upstanding name that signifies moral values.
What Is the Origin of the Name Justin?
The name Justin is of Latin origin. It stems from the Latin name Iustinus, which later became Justus and Justin. Given the wholesome and strong meaning of the name, it was a choice for early saints and Christian philosophers (1). Moreover, its prominence within the Byzantine Empire led to the Justinian Dynasty ruling for almost a century.
How Popular Is the Name Justin?
The name Justin has been quite ubiquitous in the United States since the late 1800s. It ranked in the top ten most popular boy names three different times and has been in the top 100 on multiple occasions.
The name Justin has consistently stayed fairly popular throughout its usage. It ranked 168th in 2020 (2).
How Do I Pronounce Justin?
The name Justin is easily pronounced as “juhs-tin.” Generally, most people pronounce the name with the emphasis on the syllable “juhs.” It’s very similar to the pronunciation of the word justice.
Is Justin a Boy or Girl Name?
Justin is known predominantly as a male name. 99.52 percent of people in the United States with the name Justin are males, with a fraction of a percentage being females.
Variations of Justin
There are not many variations of the name Justin, but you can check out a few different options below:
- Giustino (Italian, Latin)
- Jestin (Welsh)
- Joost (Dutch)
- Justis (Latin)
- Justino (Latin)
- Justus (Latin)
- Justyn (Latin)
Nicknames for Justin
Nicknames are crucial to consider when choosing a name. After all, parents need a cool, laid-back nickname for fun times. Here are a few nickname suggestions for Justin:
- Big J
Similar Names to Justin
Names can be similar in sound, but they can also be close in meaning. Either way, below are some names that are similar to Justin:
Middle Names for Justin
Once you have settled on the name Justin, you need a suitable middle name that pairs well. Here are a few suggestions:
Sibling Names for Justin
Whether you already have a child or plan to have more after this one, it’s a good idea to think about what types of names sound good with Justin. Below are some girl and boy sibling names:
For a sister:
For a brother:
Famous People Named Justin
There are several famous people in the world with the first name Justin. Choosing a name based on celebrities is not necessary, but it can be very entertaining. Check these notable examples:
- Justin Bieber: Canadian singer-songwriter.
- Justin Chambers: American actor, model.
- Justin Chatwin: Canadian actor.
- Justin Hartley: American actor.
- Justin Herbert: American professional football player.
- Justin Long: American actor, comedian, director.
- Justin Moore: American country singer.
- Justin Theroux: American actor.
- Justin Timberlake: American singer, songwriter, actor, dancer, and producer.
- Justin Trudeau: Canadian politician.
- Justin Verlander: American professional baseball player.
Justin in Popular Culture
Sometimes, it’s not real people that we like to name our children after. Instead, it’s our favorite character names. Here are some Justins you might recognize from pop culture of the past and present:
- Justin Barber: Character on soap opera “The Bold and the Beautiful.”
- Justin Burton: Character on soap opera “Hollyoaks.”
- Justin Finch-Fletchley: Character from “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.”
- Justin Hammer: Character from Marvel comic books.
- Justin Kiriakis: Character on soap opera “Days of Our Lives.”
- Justin Russo: “Wizards of Waverly Place” character.
- Justin Suarez: “Ugly Betty” character.
- Justin Time: Cartoon character from the children’s show “Justin Time.”
Nailing down the perfect name for your child is one of the first big decisions you’ll make in their life, so it’s not one that you want to take lightly. Our frequently asked questions below might make things easier for you.