- Meaning: Erica means either “eternal ruler” (European) or “fragrance” (Japanese).
- Gender: Erica is traditionally a girl’s name.
- Origin: Erica comes from Germanic and Japanese roots separately.
- Pronunciation: “AIR-ick-uh”
- Popularity: Erica is currently in the top 1000 most popular names in the United States.
- Nicknames: Ricky, Riri, Kiki, Eri, Er.
- Variations: Erika, Ericka, Arica, Eric.
- Namesakes: Erica Jong, Erica Banks, Erica Sinclair.
- What Does Erica Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Erica?
- How Popular is the Name Erica?
- How Do I Pronounce Erica?
- Is Erica a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Erica
- Nicknames for Erica
- Similar Names to Erica
- Middle Names for Erica
- Sibling Names for Erica
- Famous People Named Erica
- Erica in Popular Culture
- Erica FAQs
What Does Erica Mean?
Erica is a popular first name for girls in America, Europe, and Japan. Because it has two different origins, Erica has two meanings. Erica means “eternal ruler” or “powerful forever.” It can also mean “heather,” coming from Latin.
However, the Japanese origins of the name Erica are completely different. Erica in Japanese can have several meanings, being defined as “fragrance,” “pear,” or “favor.” All of these have positive and delicate meanings.
What is the Origin of the Name Erica?
As we discussed above, the name Erica has multiple meanings. With this comes multiple origins! The meaning “eternal ruler” is associated with the masculine form of the name, Eric, which has a Germanic and Old Norse origin.
One meaning, “heather,” also comes from the Latin word for heather, a small flowering plant commonly found in the Mediterranean and Europe (1).
Finally, in Japanese, the word is associated with fragrance and pears. Its Japanese origins are unrelated to its European origin.
How Popular is the Name Erica?
Erica is not a very popular name currently. For the past five years, Erica has barely been in the top 1000 baby names in the United States (2). However, it was extremely popular throughout the 1970s and 1980s.
How Do I Pronounce Erica?
Erica is generally pronounced “AIR-rick-uh.” There aren’t many alternative pronunciations, although the Japanese version of the name might have a different emphasis.
Is Erica a Boy or Girl Name?
Erica is almost exclusively a girl’s name. Even from Latin or Japanese origins, Erica is used for girls. Germanic and Scandinavian origins of Erica specifically feminize the popular boy’s name, Eric.
Variations of Erica
Here are some of the most common variations of Erica, from boys’ names to different cultural versions of the name.
Nicknames for Erica
Of course, the perfect baby name needs the perfect nickname. While you will come up with your own once you meet your sweet baby, it’s always good to have a place to start. Erica has several natural nicknames, and here are a few of the best:
Similar Names to Erica
While Erica is a lovely name, it might not be the exact right name for your child. Here are some names that have similarities to Erica but aren’t the same.
Middle Names for Erica
The perfect baby name needs the perfect middle name. While we can’t offer a new last name, you can choose which of these middle names will work with Erica and your last name. Her full name will be the most beautiful sound you’ll hear.
Sibling Names for Erica
If Erica is going to have siblings (or she already does), it’s good that the two names sound good together. After all, you’ll be saying them every day, whether it’s whispered as you tuck them into bed or called across the playground. Here are some good sibling names for Erica:
Famous People Named Erica
When naming your child, it’s great to have a namesake. However, it’s also good to know who you might be unintentionally naming your kid after – after all, you don’t want to name your child something that they might be embarrassed about later! Here are some of the most famous Ericas:
- Erika Anderson: American actress.
- Erica Banks: American rapper.
- Erica Campbell: Professional singer from the band Mary Mary.
- Erica Cosby: Painter and Bill Cosby’s daughter.
- Erica Costell: Singer and social media influencer.
- Erika Eleniak: American actress and model.
- Erica Jong: American author.
- Erika Mitchell: author with the pen name E.L. James.
- Erica Sakurazawa: manga and anime author.
- Erica Yazawa: model, singer, and performer.
Erica in Popular Culture
Of course, there are real people named Erica to look up to. However, there are also fictional Ericas with just as much influence on our lives. Here are some famous fictional characters named Erica and where they come from.
- Erika: character in the Pokemon video game series.
- Erika: character in the Underworld films.
- Erika Ford: character in the television show Friends.
- Erica Hahn: a character in the television show Grey’s Anatomy.
- Erika Kohut: a character in the novel The Piano Teacher.
- Erica Reyes: a character on the television show Teen Wolf.
- Erica Strange: the main character in the television show Being Erica.
- Erica Sinclair: character in the Netflix show Stranger Things.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the name Erica and their answers. We hope they answer your questions!
Is Erica a Biblical Name?
Erica as a name is not in the Bible. This is because it comes from two separate languages – Old Norse and Japanese. Neither of these languages originated near the Middle East, where the Bible was written in Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek.
Does Erica Mean Heather?
Although it is a less common meaning to the name, erica is the Latin word for heather. Heather is Erica’s third type of meaning, after the Germanic meaning of eternal ruler and the Japanese meaning of pear fragrance.
Is Erica a Unique Name?
Erica is a classic name. While it might not be unique, it will always be easy to spell and understand. Erica is not very popular now, although it was for several decades.