- Meaning: The Latin name Luna means “moon.” The word is used in several Latin languages, including Spanish and Italian, as a direct translation, though it can also be used as a name. In Roman Mythology, the goddess of the moon was named Luna.
- Gender: Luna is primarily a name given to women, though there are many cases where boys have also been given the name.
- Origin: The earliest traces of the name Luna go back to ancient Roman Mythology, where the moon goddess was named “Luna.” Since then, the word for the moon itself has stayed as Luna in certain Latin languages.
- Pronunciation: Luna is pronounced as “LOO-nuh.” The emphasis is on the first syllable. It can also be said with a stronger “A” sound at the end, as “LOO-nah.”
- Popularity: Luna is very popular. Near the turn of the 21st century, the name entered the top 1000 names for girls by popularity. By 2020, it breached the top-20 names for girls in the USA, and it’s been a perennial in the top 100 names for girls across the globe.
- Nicknames: Lu Lu, Lu, Louie, Na, Un, Una.
- Variations: Deluna, de Luna, Louna, Luana, Lunara, Luneth, Lunetta, Lunette, Lunneta.
- Namesakes: Luna, football player.
- What Does the Name Luna Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Luna?
- How Popular Is the Name Luna?
- How Do I Pronounce Luna?
- Is Luna a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Luna
- Nicknames for Luna
- Similar Names to Luna
- Middle Names for Luna
- Sibling Names for Luna
- Famous People Named Luna
- Luna in Popular Culture
- Luna FAQs
What Does the Name Luna Mean?
The name Luna is Latin and means “moon.” The word is used in several Latin languages, including Spanish and Italian, as a direct translation, though it can also be a name.
In old Roman mythos, the goddess of the moon was named Luna. In recent years, the name has skyrocketed in popularity. It can also be the last name or a prefixed first name.
What Is the Origin of the Name Luna?
The earliest traces of the name Luna go back to ancient Roman Mythology. The moon goddess was named “Luna.”
Since then, the word for the moon itself has stayed as Luna in some Latin languages. All while the name has grown in popularity across the world in non-Latin.
How Popular Is the Name Luna?
Luna is very popular. Near the turn of the 21st century, the name entered the top 1000 names for girls by popularity. By 2020, it breached the top-20 names for girls in the USA.
Besides the United States, it remains in the top 100 names for girls in Australia, Europe, Canada, South America, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and others.
How Do I Pronounce Luna?
Luna is pronounced as “LOO-nuh.” The emphasis is on the first syllable. It can also be said with a stronger “A” sound at the end, as “LOO-nah.”
Is Luna a Boy or Girl Name?
Luna is most commonly given to girls. However, some boys have semi-commonly been given the name as well.
Variations of Luna
For being a name with such a long history and cultural roots, there are only a few variations on the name Luna. Some of them include:
- De Luna
Nicknames for Luna
But for how many variations there are, only a few nicknames exist.
Some of those nicknames include:
- Un (Oon)
Similar Names to Luna
There are also a handful of names similar to Luna.
Some of those similar names include:
Middle Names for Luna
Luna is a strong name, and the middle name can pair with some great secondary names. Some options include:
Sibling Names for Luna
Many names go great alongside Luna for a sibling, whether boy or girl. Some of them include:
For a brother:
And for a sister:
Famous People Named Luna
There are also many famous people named Luna.
Some of the most famous include:
- Luna (footballer): Spanish association football player, also known as Paco Luna.
- Luna (singer): a South Korean singer.
- Luna Leopold: American scientist.
- Luna Vachon: Canadian professional wrestler.
Luna in Popular Culture
Today, many Luna’s are characters in pop culture as well.
You might recognize:
- Luna: a minor character from the anime series Sailor Moon.
- Luna Lovegood: Character from the Harry Potter book series.
- Luna: Character from the television series and soap opera All My Children
- Luna Maximoff: Character from the Marvel Comics universe.
- Lunafreya Nox Fleuret: Character from the video game Final Fantasy XV.
- Luna O’Neill: The main character from the novel Luna.
- Princess Luna: Character from The Adventures of Peter Pan.
- Luna Valente: The main character from the Argentine-Mexican Disney Channel Latin America telenovela Soy Luna.
There might be some other questions in your mind about the name Luna. Let’s look at some holes or gaps we haven’t covered yet concerning the name Luna.
Is Luna a Good Name for a Girl?
Luna is a great name for a girl or boy. Its connotations are strong and supernatural. There is a glimmer to the name Luna, which calls to those looking for deeper connections with life and the universe.
Luna has become very popular over the years. This is partly due to the character from the Harry Potter book series, Luna Lovegood.
What Does the Name Luna Mean in the Bible?
Luna is not a biblical name, though it is popular in Christian families.
What Is the Personality of the Name Luna?
Luna’s are people who can communicate. They are witty yet kind. They can persuade as well as lead and will charm the socks right off of you.
Beyond expression, they bring optimism and inspiration to the table. They also stand out at any event or gathering for their creative side.
Is Luna a Japanese Name?
Luna is a name that has been taken by many cultures across the world, including Japan. In Japanese, it means flower, purity, lovely, and, of course, the moon.
What Is the Lucky Number of Luna?
Luna is a lucky name, and the number accompanying it is 3.