- Meaning: Christina is the female form of the masculine name Christian, which has origins in Latin and means “follower of Christ.”
- Gender: The name Christina is widely used solely for female babies.
- Origin: The name Christina is the evolution of the name Christianaus, which first appeared in the New Testament of the Bible and references the first disciples, or early followers, of Jesus Christ.
- Pronunciation: “kris-teen-ah”
- Popularity: In 2021, the name Christina fell below the top 500 most popular female baby names.
- Nicknames: Chris, Chrissie, Chrissy, Christi, Chrys, Chrysta, Cris, Kris, Krys, Krysta, Krysty, Stina, Stine, Teen, Teena, Teeny, Tina, Tine, Tyna
- Variations: Christabel, Christabella, Christabelle, Christiana, Christiane, Christianne, Christin, Christina, Christine, Christobel, Chrystina, Crestienne, Cristeena, Cristiana, Cristina, Cristiona, Hristina, Khristina, Khrustina, Kristiana, Kristína, Krisztina, Krystiana.
- Namesakes: Christina Applegate, Christina Marie Hoff Sommers, Christina McHale, Christina Ricci, Christina “Tina” Sinatra.
- What Does Christina Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Christina?
- How Popular Is the Name Christina?
- How Do I Pronounce Christina?
- Is Christina a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Christina
- Nicknames for Christina
- Similar Names to Christina
- Middle Names for Christina
- Sibling Names for Christina
- Famous People Named Christina
- Christina in Popular Culture
- Christina FAQs
What Does Christina Mean?
Christina is the female form of the masculine name Christian, which originates in Latin and means “follower of Christ.” These two versions of the name come from the New Testament in the Bible, as they reference the fellowship from where the names are derived. In Latin, the names Christian and Christina mean “anointed one.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Christina?
The name Christina is the evolution of the name Christianaus, which first appeared in the New Testament of the Bible and referenced the first disciples, or early followers, of Jesus Christ (1).
How Popular Is the Name Christina?
The name Christina peaked in popularity in 2000, when the number of baby girls born with the name was 4,329, but it has rapidly declined (2). In 2021, the name Christina fell below the top 500 and ranked at 629th most popular female baby name.
How Do I Pronounce Christina?
The three-syllable name Christina is pronounced “kris-teen-ah”, with the first syllable sounding like “criss” similar to its male counterpart Christian, and the middle syllable is pronounced like the later part of “canteen,” and the last syllable is the phonetic “ah” sound.
Is Christina a Boy or Girl Name?
Christina is the female form of Christian, so technically, it began as a predominantly male name modified for girls. In modern times, the name Christina is widely used solely for female babies.
Variations of Christina
Christina is an Old English and Latin-rooted word. While that version is the most common spelling, Spanish, German, and French versions of Christina are very popular.
- Christabel (English)
- Christabella (English)
- Christabelle (French, English)
- Christiana (Latin, Spanish)
- Christiane (French, German)
- Christianne (French, German)
- Christin (German, Scandinavian)
- Christina (German, English)
- Christine (English, French)
- Christobel (English)
- Chrystina (English)
- Crestienne (French)
- Cristeena (Gaelic)
- Cristiana (Italian, Spanish)
- Cristina (Portuguese, Romanian)
- Cristiona (Irish)
- Hristina (Bulgarian, Greek)
- Khristina (Russian)
- Khrustina (Bulgarian)
- Kristiana (Latvian)
- Kristína (Czech)
- Krisztina (Hungarian)
- Krystiana (Polish)
Nicknames for Christina
Christina has the added value of shortening to the more masculine “Chris” or the feminine “Tina,” as well as some spelling variations, including:
Similar Names to Christina
With a name as versatile as Christina, there are many popular names similar, such as:
Middle Names for Christina
Christina is such a regal-sounding name that it deserves an equally beautiful middle name. Some great options for middle names to go with Christina are:
Sibling Names for Christina
A sibling name for Christina should complement the elegance without being too distracting. Here are some excellent brother and sister names for Christina:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Christina
Many famous people have been named Christina, such as:
- Christina Applegate: American actress best known for her role as Kelly Bundy on the sitcom Married…With Children and Veronica Cornerstone in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, along with her film and television roles.
- Christina Marie Hoff Sommers: American author and philosopher specializing in ethics and contemporary feminism. She also has authored two books and resides as a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.
- Christina McHale: American tennis player who represents the United States in Olympic competitions. She won her first Women’s Tennis Association title at the Japan Open in September 2016.
- Christina Ricci: American actress best known for her role as Wednesday Addams in The Addams Family, along with other film and television roles.
- Christina “Tina” Sinatra: daughter of American singer and actor Frank Sinatra. She is an American entrepreneur best known for her work as a film producer, agent, and memoirist.
Christina in Popular Culture
The name Christina is a well-loved and fashionable name that has been featured in popular culture. Some examples include:
- Christina Alessi: a fictional character played by actress Gayle Blakeney that was featured on the Australian soap opera Neighbours.
- Christina Drayton: a fictional character from the movie Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. Katharine Hepburn played the role of Christina Drayton and consequently won an Academy Award for Best Actress.
- Christina Hawthorne: a fictional television character from the series of the same name, Hawthorne. Portrayed by Jada Pinkett Smith, the show was an American medical drama and ran for three seasons, from 2009 to 2011.
The name Christina has a long history of being a beautiful name, and as such, here are some frequently asked questions about the name.
Does the Name Christina Have Any Personality Traits?
When people hear the name Christina, they think of royalty and beauty. People named Christina are often intuitive and diplomatic and prefer to be the center of attention. They usually grow up as leaders, doctors, teachers, designers, nurses, and other authority figures.
Are There Any Colors Associated With the Name Christina?
The colors often associated with the name Christina include all shades of green and white, such as cream, ivory, and eggshell. These colors are also associated with gemstones like pearls, jade, cat’s-eye, and moonstones.