- Meaning: Damien means “to tame” or “ to subdue” when translated from Greek and French.
- Gender: Damien is traditionally a male’s name.
- Origin: Damien originates from the Greek word “Damianos.”
- Pronunciation: “dah-MEE-un” or “DAY-mee-en.”
- Popularity: The name was mildly popular in the United States during the early 2000s and has not regained popularity over the years. It was mainly popular during the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Nicknames: Dame, Damies, Dames, Damie, Damie.
- Variations: Damian, Damon, Daymon, Daemon, Daimen, Damen.
- Namesakes: Damien Fahey, Damien Anderson, Damien M. Corsetti.
- What Does Damien Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Damien?
- How Popular Is the Name Damien?
- How Do I Pronounce Damien?
- Is Damien a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Damien
- Nicknames for Damien
- Similar Names to Damien
- Middle Names for Damien
- Sibling Names for Damien
- Famous People Named Damien
- Damien in Popular Culture
- Damien FAQs
What Does Damien Mean?
Traditionally, Damien is a male’s name and finds its origin in Greek and French. In both Greek and French, the name means “to tame” or “to subdue.”
According to Wikipedia, it is derived from the Greek word “Damianos,” which has the meaning “master,” “overcome,” or “conquer” (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Damien?
The origin of the name Damien comes from the Greek Damianos.
Damien is the French spelling of the Greek baby boy name Damian. The French wanted a formal-sounding name for the Greek variation Damian.
This name was also made popular by Saint Damian, who was a martyr in the country of Syria in the 4th century; however, the spelling is of Greek origin.
How Popular Is the Name Damien?
According to the Social Security Administration index, Damien was introduced to this list in 1968, ranking at 805th that year (2).
From the years 2004 to 2011, this name was listed in the top 200 list of baby names. As of 2021, Damien sits on the top 300 list but is close to the bottom, ranking 277th overall.
How Do I Pronounce Damien?
Damien is pronounced “dah-MEE-un” or “DAY-mee-en.” The pronunciation of Damien will always be said with three syllables.
Is Damien a Boy or Girl Name?
Damien is traditionally a male name.
However, there are some female variations and similar names to Damien that could be used for females. The variation female name, Damine, is one of the many feminine forms of Damien.
It is rare to find a girl with a feminine variation of the name Damien. However, even though it is uncommon, the female variations are just as beautiful as the masculine name.
Variations of Damien
Damien has several name variations from languages and cultures all across the world. It has evolved and changed over thousands of years since ancient times.
Some of the most common variations of Damien include:
- Damian (Greek)
- Damianos (Ancient Greek)
- Damion (English)
- Damon (Greek)
- Daymian (Greek)
However, none of these names are as popular as Damien. As a result, these variations show up less frequently.
Nicknames for Damien
Here is a list of common nicknames for Damien:
Even though only a few nicknames are named here, there are still dozens, if not hundreds, that can be thought of for the name Damien.
Similar Names to Damien
If you like the name Damien, you might also like other similar names. The most popular similar name is the fictional character Damon Salvador from the TV series The Vampire Diaries, which gives the mysterious appeal of the name from the show.
There are a few names that are similar to Damien. Consider these while making your baby-naming decision:
Middle Names for Damien
If you want to name your child Damien, but you are not quite sure what to use for their middle name, here are some options we have found that work well together with Damien:
Sibling Names for Damien
If you are a parent with a kid named Damien and you want to find a name for their sibling, there are plenty of names that flow well.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Damien
Many famous people share the same name. Consider these people while making your baby-naming decision to give your son the chance to live up to his name:
- Damien Allen: English footballer.
- Damien Anderson: American football player.
- Damien Birkinhead: Australian shot putter.
- Damien Brunner: Swiss ice hockey player.
- Damien M. Corsetti: American soldier.
- Damien Cox: Canadian journalist.
- Damien Fleury: French ice hockey player
Damien in Popular Culture
There have been several characters in pop culture that have been named Damien. Damien is a popular name to find in pop culture. Here are a few notable fictional Damien’s:
- Damien: Title character on the Damien TV show.
- Damien Delgaard: A character in Gossip Girl.
- Damien Karras: The protagonist from the novel The Exorcist and the film adaptation of the same title.
- Damien Thorn: The main character from The Omen.
- Damien Trotter: A character from the sitcom Only Fools and Horses.
There are some common misconceptions when thinking about the meaning of the name Damien and the spelling. Here are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions by people who want to name their child Damien.
Does the Name Damien Mean ‘Son of Satan’?
There is no real connection between the two. The popularization of this theory comes from the son in the movie The Omen, whose name was Damien Thorn.
The word is similar in spelling to Demon or Daemon but has no meaning or relation.
What Is the Difference Between the Spellings of Damian/Damien?
Damian is the more common spelling of this name. It is derived from the Greek spelling of the name.
Damien is the French spelling of this name.
Both spellings are the traditional style of the name Damien or Damian.