- Meaning: Pure, Purity.
- Gender: Female.
- Origin: Spanish, Greek.
- Pronunciation: “ka-tuh-LEE-nuh”
- Popularity: Catalina is a popular name in the United States.
- Nicknames: Cat, Cate, Catty, Kitty, Lina.
- Variations: Catherine, Cathleen, Kaitlyn, Katell, Kathatros, Katrina.
- Namesakes: Catalina Berroa, Catalina Castaño, Catalina Denis, Catalina Guerra, Catalina Guirado, Catalina Parot.
- What Does Catalina Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Catalina?
- How Popular Is the Name Catalina?
- How Do I Pronounce Catalina?
- Is Catalina a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Catalina
- Nicknames for Catalina
- Similar Names to Catalina
- Middle Names for Catalina
- Sibling Names for Catalina
- Famous People Named Catalina
- Catalina in Popular Culture
- Catalina FAQs
What Does Catalina Mean?
Catalina is a beautiful name for your baby that is Spanish in origin and means “pure” (1). The first variation of this name finds its roots in Greece and continues to be popular not just in the United States, but in South America and Europe as well, especially in Spain.
What Is the Origin of the Name Catalina?
Catalina is the Spanish version of the name “Catherine.” It means “pure” in many languages and has several variations worldwide.
The earliest variations of this name trace its origins back to Greece. Most experts believe that it originated from the Greek word “Katharos.”
How Popular Is the Name Catalina?
The name was first popularized in 1602 when Sebastián Vizcaíno renamed it San Salvador. (2). In honor of St. Catherine of Alexandria, on the feast day, he dubbed it Catalina Island.
The name continues to climb the ranks in popularity but hasn’t yet broken the top 100 (3). From 2010 to 2020, the name rose swiftly in popularity from rank 687 to 166.
Similar names like Kaitlin and Catherine have steadily lost popularity since 2000. This reversal indicates an interest in alternatives for the once popular name Catherine.
How Do I Pronounce Catalina?
This name is pronounced ka-tuh-LEE-nuh. You can also pronounce this name by saying, “cat uh lean uh.”
Is Catalina a Boy or Girl Name?
Catalina is derived from “Catherine” and is typically used as a feminine first name, though it is also very popular as a surname in Spain.
Variations of Catalina
If you like the name Catalina but don’t want to use that exact spelling, there are several variations you can try! Feel free to check out the names we came up with below, or play around with creating your own.
- Catalyna (Spanish)
- Catalynna (Spanish)
- Cathleen (Greek)
- Catherine (Greek, Irish)
- Kaitlyn (Irish)
- Katalina (Greek)
- Katalinna (Greek)
- Katell (Greek)
- Katrina (Greek)
- Katarina (Russian)
- Yekaterina (Russian)
Nicknames for Catalina
Sometimes it’s wise to consider a few nicknames before deciding. You might find you love it or hate it. Either way, it’s good to realize before someone else gives it to them. Here are some fun, unique nicknames for Catalina.
Similar Names to Catalina
If the name Catalina is in the ballpark of what you’re looking for but not quite the right fit, don’t worry. We came up with a list of names with a similar sound and meaning for you to choose from:
Middle Names for Catalina
Picking out your child’s middle name can be tricky, but there are a few ways to make it easier. Try a few that have different syllables or the same first letter. Some people like a matched set, but more often than not, most avoid rhyming or too many of the same letter.
You’ll likely realize right away what sounds good and what doesn’t. Here are some great middle names for Catalina.
Sibling Names for Catalina
If you plan on having more than one child, you might consider what other names Catalina goes well with. We came up with some strong pairings for you to look at below!
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Catalina
You’re not the only one considering this name for their baby! The name Catalina is popular not just in the US, but around the world. Here are several famous Catalinas for your inspiration.
- Catalina Berroa: Cuban pianist, music teacher, and composer.
- Catalina Castaño: Colombian tennis player who won ten titles on the ITF circuit.
- Catalina Denis: Colombian actress who appeared in “Brick Mansions” and “Le Mac.”
- Catalina Guerra: Chilean actress who appeared in “Gringuito” and “Normal con alas.”
- Catalina Guirado: New Zealand actress, reality TV Star, and model.
- Catalina Parot: Chilean lawyer, entrepreneur, and politician.
- Catalina Speroni: Argentinian actress who appeared in “Felicidades.”
- Catalina Yue: Canadian-American actress, singer, activist, and producer.
Catalina in Popular Culture
Catalina is also a popular character name due to its distinctive sound. Here are some fictional Catalina’s that you might or might not know.
- Catalina: Character in the 90s TV series “Space Cases.”
- Catalina Alize: Character from the manga and anime series “Granblue Fantasy.”
- Catalina Aruca: Character from the TV series “My Name Is Earl.”
- Catalina Mora: Character from the TV series “Jane the Virgin.”
- Catalina Vialpando: The main antagonist of “Grand Theft Auto III.”
- Santa Catalina: 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) is a song by “The Four Preps.”
If you still have some questions about the name Catalina, you’re not alone. Below are a few frequently asked questions that others had about this name.