- Meaning: “The burning one.”
- Gender: Typically female.
- Origin: Ancient Hebrew.
- Pronunciation: “sair-uh-FEE-nuh”
- Popularity: Seraphina is not a popular name.
- Nicknames: Sera, Phiphi, Seri.
- Variations: Sarafina, Saraphina, Serafina, Serafyna
- Namesakes: Serafina Steer, Saint Serafina, Seraphina Sforza.
- What Does Seraphina Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Seraphina?
- How Popular is the Name Seraphina?
- How Do I Pronounce Seraphina?
- Is Seraphina a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Seraphina
- Nicknames for Seraphina
- Similar Names to Seraphina
- Middle Names for Seraphina
- Sibling Names for Seraphina
- Famous People Named Seraphina
- Seraphina in Popular Culture
- Seraphina FAQs
What Does Seraphina Mean?
Seraphina means burning one in ancient Hebrew. It derives from the word seraph, which is the name for a celestial, angelic being (1).
What is the Origin of the Name Seraphina?
The name Seraphina comes from ancient Hebrew and was originally given to early religious martyrs (2). It then continued to be a popular name, along with its male equivalent, Seraphin, among Latin people to denote their children’s fieriness.
There are also many different spellings in many different regions of the world. For example, Arabic-speaking regions usually spell the name Sarafina and believe its origin is in the Arabic word for ardent.
How Popular is the Name Seraphina?
Seraphina, while beautiful, is not a popular name at all, making it a unique option.
In fact, in the United States, the name Seraphina has only entered into the top 1000 baby girl names once in 2019. It has not re-entered since then, nor was it ever in the ranking before then (3).
Even when considering the various spellings and variations of Seraphina, it has never really broken into the top 1000 in any form in the United States.
If you were to name your sweet baby girl Seraphina, then she’d certainly be unique!
How Do I Pronounce Seraphina?
Seraphina is pronounced “sair-uh-FEE-nuh.”
Is Seraphina a Boy or Girl Name?
Seraphina is a girl’s name. The male equivalent has the same meaning though, and it is Seraphin.
Variations of Seraphina
There are a few different spellings of Seraphina. Some of them are for aesthetic purposes, and some of them are because of different cultures around the world using different phonetics. Here are some of the possible variations:
- Sarafina (Italian)
- Saraphina (Italian)
- Serafina (Italian
- Serafinna (Latin, Italian)
- Serafyna (Italian)
Nicknames for Seraphina
We know it’s very important to have a sweet nickname ready for when you’re talking to your baby Seraphina. It can be difficult to find just the right one, though, so we’ve compiled a list so that you don’t have to:
Similar Names to Seraphina
We know that sometimes someone has already taken the name you love, or you just don’t feel like a specific name is right. Seraphina is an incredibly unique name, but if you are hoping for a name similar to it, here is a list of names similar either in sound, meaning, or both:
Middle Names for Seraphina
It can be difficult to find a middle name that flows just right with a first name. We’ve put together our favorite middle names for baby Seraphina here:
Sibling Names for Seraphina
You may already have a baby Seraphina, in which case, you could be looking for the perfect name for her baby sibling. If you feel stuck and need some inspiration, here are some perfect sibling names for Seraphina that have a similar sound or meaning:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Seraphina
There are a few famous people throughout history who have been named Seraphina. Here are some of the most notable:
- Penny Serafina Petrone: A Canadian writer, educator, and philanthropist.
- Saint Serafina: A thirteenth-century Italian saint.
- Serafina di dio: An Italian abbess.
- Seraphina Sforza: An Italian noblewoman and nun.
- Serafina Steer: An English harpist, pianist, singer, and songwriter.
- Serafina Ouistiti: The stage name of Dutch musician Bloem de Ligny.
Seraphina in Popular Culture
There are also many Seraphinas in movies, books, video games, and TV series that you know and love. Here are some of the most notable:
- Seraphina: The title character of Caroline Burney’s novel.
- Seraphina: The title character of Rachel Hartman’s novel.
- Serafina: A character in the Marvel Comics Universe.
- Serafina Pekkala: A character in the “His Dark Materials” trilogy.
- Seraphina the Giraffe: The title character in a children’s storybook.
- Seraphina Picquery: A character in the “Fantastic Beasts” movies.
- Serafina: The title character of “Serafina and the Black Cloak” and its sequels.
- Serafina di Miromara: The main character in “Waterfire Saga”.
- Seraphina: A character in the video game Disgaea 5.
- Seraphina au Raa: A character in the “Red Rising Saga.”
- Seraphina: A character in the webtoon unOrdinary, by Uru-Chan.
- Serafina: A character in “Barbie as The Princess and the Pauper.”