- Meaning: The name Sawyer means “Woodcutter”.
- Gender: The name Sawyer is a unisex name, but is more popular among males.
- Origin: The name Sawyer originated as a surname in Britain.
- Pronunciation: “SOY-er”.
- Popularity: Sawyer is a popular name.
- Nicknames: Sy, Saw, Sayer.
- Variations: Sailor, Saul, Sean.
- Namesakes: Tom Sawyer, a fictional character in Mark Twain’s novel The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
- What Does Sawyer Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Sawyer?
- How Popular Is the Name Sawyer?
- How Do I Pronounce Sawyer?
- Is Sawyer a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Sawyer
- Nicknames for Sawyer
- Similar Names to Sawyer
- Middle Names for Sawyer
- Sibling Names for Sawyer
- Famous People Named Sawyer
- Sawyer in Popular Culture
- Sawyer FAQs
What Does Sawyer Mean?
Sawyer means someone who saws wood as an occupation or simply “woodcutter” (1). A Sawyer also refers to a tree that has fallen to the bottom of a river and is a danger to boaters passing by. Parents who live an outdoorsy lifestyle get drawn to the name Sawyer because of its forestry theme.
What Is the Origin of the Name Sawyer?
The origins of the name Sawyer come from England. It was an Anglo-Saxon occupational last name given to the person who saws timber into logs or boards for a living. This occupation was an important one in the Middle Ages.
The name originates from the Middle English word “saghen” or “saghier” meaning “to saw.” The Middle English words came from the Old English words “saghe” and “sagu”.
How Popular Is the Name Sawyer?
The name Sawyer is popular in the United States. Sawyer was a trendy name between 2015 and 2018, landing in the top 100 in the United States. Sawyer is the 114 most popular boys’ name and the 216 most popular girls’ name (2).
Between 1840 and 1920, the Sawyer family name was found in the UK, Scotland, Canada, and the United States. In 1840, 21% of all recorded Sawyer family names were found in Maine.
How Do I Pronounce Sawyer?
The name Sawyer is pronounced as “SOY-er.”, but some people may pronounce the “saw” as “SAH-yer.” This is an ancient pronunciation of the name Sawyer.
Is Sawyer a Boy or Girl Name?
The name Sawyer originally came from a masculine word for a male. It is still more popular among boys, however, Sawyer has grown to be a popular girls’ name as well.
Today, Sawyer is considered a unisex name. With creative names on the rise, some people are switching the gender of classic names to give them a new twist.
Variations of Sawyer
There are variations of the name Sawyer. They come from all different origins.
- Sagyere (Berkshire)
- Sawyere (Somerset)
- Sawiere (Huntingdonshire)
- Sawere (English)
- Sagher (Yorkshire)
- Sawier (English)
- Sawer (English)
Nicknames for Sawyer
If nicknames are important to you, consider some fun options for your little one named Sawyer.
Similar Names to Sawyer
The name Sawyer has multiple similar names that come from other cultures.
Middle Names for Sawyer
A first name is essential, but a middle name is equally as important. Check out this list of middle names that go great with Sawyer.
Sibling Names for Sawyer
If you name your first child Sawyer, you want to call the rest of your family names that go along with Sawyer. Check out these names that would be great for siblings for your baby Sawyer.
For a Brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Sawyer
The name Sawyer has become popular in Hollywood and other areas of popularity. Check out this list of famous people who have been named Sawyer.
- Sawyer Barth: American actor.
- Sawyer Bel: American child actor.
- Sawyer Ever: American child actor.
- Sawyer Fredericks: American singer-songwriter.
- Sawyer Hartman: American film director.
- Sawyer Niehaus: American child actress.
- Sawyer Sharbino: American child actor.
- Sawyer Shipman: American child actor.
- Sawyer Spielberg: American actor.
- Sawyer Sweeten: American child actor.
Sawyer in Popular Culture
The name Sawyer got most of its fame from the beloved novel by Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. After the release of this novel in 1876, the name Sawyer rose in popularity. The story is set in the town of St. Petersburg, based on the town of Hannibal, Missouri (3).
The story follows a young boy, Tom Sawyer, growing up along the Mississippi River. Originally, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was a commercial failure but grew to be Mark Twain’s most famous novel. It is considered to be a masterpiece of American literature.
The name Sawyer has other appearances in popular culture. Check out the list below of the most well-known Sawyers in popular culture.
- Annie Sawyer: One of the three main protagonists in the television series “Being Human.”
- Buzz Sawyer: Main character in Roy Crane’s comic strip.
- James “Sawyer” Ford: Fictional character on the ABC television series “Lost.”
- Lila Sawyer: Character in the tv show “Hey Arnold!”
- Peyton Sawyer: Fictional character in the television series “One Tree Hill.”
- Sawyer: Fictional character and rival of Ash Ketchum in the anime series “Pokemon: XY.”
- Sawyer: Fictional zombie on a Canadian animated series “Camp Lakebottom.”
- Sawyer: Character in “Cats Don’t Dance.”
- Tom Sawyer: Fictional character in Mark Twain’s 1876 novel “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.”
- Veronica Sawyer: Protagonist of the film and musical “Heathers.”
The name Sawyer has had some questions arise about it. Check out the list of the most frequently asked questions about the name Sawyer.
Is Sawyer a Rare Name?
The name Sawyer is not rare. It has had consistent popularity as a boys’ name for years. It is rising in popularity as a girls’ name as well.
What Does the Name Sawyer Symbolize?
Sawyer is a gender-neutral name given as an occupational name to those who cut wood for a living. It has grown to become a popular given name in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Can a Girl be Named Sawyer?
You can name your son or daughter Sawyer. The name Sawyer is one of the top unisex names of English origin.
How Old is the Name Sawyer?
The earliest record of the surname Sawyer was in c. 1248 in Berkshire, England. It was found in various counties and shires throughout ancient Britain.
Is Sawyer a Biblical Name?
The name Sawyer is not in the Bible however, it is popular in the Christian religion as a baby boy’s name.