- Meaning: Cody means “helpful person.”
- Gender: Cody is a unisex name, but boys use it most often.
- Origin: The name Cody has a Gaelic origin. Its roots lie in the surname “Ó Cuidighthigh.”
- Pronunciation: “KOH-dee.”
- Popularity: Cody is a popular name in the United States. It is very popular in England and Scotland.
- Nicknames: Co, Co-co, Code, Dee, and Dee-Dee.
- Variations: Coady, Codey, Cotee, Cotey, Coty, Koady, Kodey, Kotee, Koty, and Kotey.
- Namesakes: Cody Fern, Cody Rhodes, Cody Ross.
What Does Cody Mean?
If you are considering the name Cody for your newborn, you might be interested in the meaning and history of the name. Read on to find out everything you need to know about the name Cody.
The name Cody means “helpful person.” It originally comes from the Gaelic boy name, “Ó Cuidighthigh,” which translates to “descendant of the helpful one.” A secondary meaning of the name Cody is “decent one.”
What is the Origin of the Name Cody?
The name Cody has a Gaelic origin (1). It is the anglicized form of the early Gaelic surname, “Ó Cuidighthigh.”
“Ó Cuidighthigh” and its variation, “O’Kuddyhy,” were both popularized in the sixteenth century. It was not until the late 1800s, though, that Cody began to hit the popularity charts as a first name.
How Popular is the Name Cody?
Cody is a popular name in the United States of America. It currently ranks 312 on a list of the most common male names (2). In England and Scotland, though, it is very popular. It ranks in the low 100s and high 90s in these European countries.
In this century, the name Cody has declined in popularity. It was at its peak in the early 1990s, when Cody was in the top 30 names for boys. Still, the name remains fairly popular today.
How Do I Pronounce the Name Cody?
The correct pronunciation of Cody is “KOH-dee.”
Is Cody a Boy or Girl Name?
The name Cody is historically associated with boys, but it is gradually becoming a unisex name. In recent years, more parents have begun naming their baby girls Cody.
Variations of Cody
You may like the sound of Cody, but you may not prefer the spelling. Luckily, there are a few spelling variations of Cody that may suit your needs. Try out one of the following spellings of the name:
- Coady (English)
- Codey (English)
- Cotee (Irish, Gaelic)
- Cotey (Irish, Gaelic)
- Coty (Irish, Gaelic)
- Koady (English)
- Kodey (English)
- Kotee (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kotey (Irish, Gaelic)
- Koty (Irish, Gaelic)
Nicknames for Cody
What are some common nicknames for the name Cody? Cody is a short name, so doesn’t have many nicknames, but we have listed a few below:
Similar Names to Cody
Maybe you like the name Cody, but you are looking for other options. Below is a list of names that are similar to Cody:
Middle Names for Cody
If you have already decided on the name Cody, it is time to pick a middle name. You will want a name which sounds like it fits with Cody, so we have put together a list of male and female middle names below:
Sibling Names for Cody
Maybe you already have a baby whose name is Cody. Or, maybe you are having twins and have only picked out one name. Either way, we will look at how Cody sounds with a few possible sibling names:
Famous People Named Cody
Because Cody is such a popular name, there are plenty of celebrities who share it. Below, we will look at a list of some famous people who have the name Cody:
- Cody Ceci: Canadian hockey player.
- Cody Chesnutt: American R&B singer.
- Cody Fern: Australian actor and model.
- Cody Hay: Canadian national champion pair skater.
- Cody Linley: American actor and singer.
- Cody Rhodes: American professional wrestler.
- Cody Ross: American baseball player.
- Cody Rowlett: American actor.
- Cody Simpson: Australian singer.
- Cody Westheimer: American composer.
Cody in Popular Culture
Many books, television, and film writers contain characters named Cody. The name is fairly common in popular culture. Check out just a few of the characters who share the name:
- Agent Cody Banks: Title character in “Agent Cody Banks”
- Cody: Character from Australian TV’s “Cody”
- Cody: Character from children’s show, “Cocomelon”
- Cody: Character from Disney’s “The Rescuers Down Under”
- Cody Brennan: Character from TV’s “Bates Motel”
- Cody Emmett Jameson Anderson: Character from TV’s “Total Drama Island”
- Cody Lambert: Character from TV’s “Step by Step”
You might still have some questions about the name Cody. Hopefully, we can answer them for you below.
Is Cody a Biblical Name?
The name Cody is not a biblical boy’s name. There is no mention of a Cody in the bible. However, the name is still common among Christian boys, perhaps due to its Gaelic origins.
How Old Is the Name Cody?
The name Cody started as a surname in the sixteenth century. However, it did not become a first name until the late 1800s. So, it is a fairly modern given name.
Is Cody a Good Name?
Cody is a great name. It is popular because of its lovely sound and its wonderful meaning. If you like the name, then you should use it.