- Meaning: Elodie means “foreign riches.”
- Gender: Elodie is traditionally a female name.
- Origin: Elodie comes from the Greek name “Alodia.”
- Pronunciation: “eh-luh-dee”
- Popularity: The name Elodie is most popular in France, but has continued to increase in popularity in the US since 2019.
- Nicknames: Elle, Ellie, DeDe, Lodie, Odi, Dee.
- Variations: Elodea, Elodia, Helodea, Helodia, Helodie.
- Namesakes: Elodie Grace Orkin, actress and model, Elodie Young, actress.
- What Does Elodie Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Elodie?
- How Popular is the Name Elodie?
- How Do I Pronounce Elodie?
- Is Elodie a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Elodie
- Nicknames for Elodie
- Similar Names to Elodie
- Middle Names for Elodie
- Sibling Names for Elodie
- Famous People Named Elodie
- Elodie in Pop Culture
- Elodie FAQs
What Does Elodie Mean?
Elodie is a French name derived from the Spanish variation of Alodia, Elodia. The French name Elodie means “foreign riches” and is spelled with an accent over the first E in France (Élodie). Elodie is considered a light and lyrical name that inspires magic and travel in its name holders.
It’s said that when people hear the name Elodie they think of someone independent and mysterious. People with the name Elodie often pursue careers in public relations, administration, and tourism.
What is the Origin of the Name Elodie?
The original German name Alodia is associated with Saint Alodia and is an ancient, Gothic name. Saint Alodia was a Spanish child martyr. Alodia and her sister Nunilo pledged themselves to Christianity despite their father’s Mulsim faith and were arrested (1).
Saint Alodia of Huesca is the Patron Saint of Runaways and Martyrs. She was born in the mid-8th century and died in 851 AD. Her feast day is on October 22.
How Popular is the Name Elodie?
Elodie continues to be a trendy name in France, England, and Wales. Its popularity in the US peaked recently in 2019 and was part of the US Top 1000 names for the first time in over 100 years. The name Elodie ranked 737 on this list in 2022 as well, cementing its increase in popularity in the US in recent years.
At present, the name Elodie is considered reasonably popular.
How Do I Pronounce Elodie?
In the US, Elodie is pronounced as eh-luh-dee. You can also pronounce it closer to the French variation by emphasizing the “o” in the middle, like eh-low-dee. The accent above the first E in France leads to a different pronunciation. The standard French pronunciation is ay-low-dee, with the first E sounding like an A.
Is Elodie a Boy or Girl Name?
The name Elodie is most frequently considered a female name. However, Elodie has been used for baby boys as well.
Variations of Elodie
The most common variations of Elodie are Greek names associated with the meaning “marsh flower.”
- Elodea (Greek)
- Elodia (Greek)
- Helodea (Greek)
- Helodia (Greek)
- Helodie (Greek)
Nicknames for Elodie
Many nicknames for the name Elodie play off the first syllable, “el,” and the last syllable, “dee.” There are also nicknames based on the middle syllable: “lo” being one of them.
Similar Names to Elodie
There are a variety of French names similar to the popular Elodie. There are also English and Greek names that can be used instead of Elodie. Similar names either start with the same “eh” sound or end in a similar “ee” sound.
Middle Names for Elodie
If you’re still searching for a middle name to go with the first name Elodie, below are some terrific options. Most below middle names are one or two syllables long to pair well with the three-syllable first name. It appears to flow easier when a long first name is paired with a short middle name.
Sibling Names for Elodie
The name Elodie pairs well with plenty of sibling names. If you’re still trying to find the perfect twin or sibling name for your Elodie, check out the list below. Many of the below names have the same lyrical feeling as Elodie.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Elodie
Most famous Elodies are French, but there are American and Canadian celebrities with the name Elodie as well (2).
- Elodie Di Patrizi: Italian singer and model
- Elodie Ghedin: Canadian virologist and parasitologist
- Elodie Grace Orkin: American actress and model
- Elodie Jones: American beauty YouTuber
- Elodie Keene: American film director
- Elodie Lauten: French-American composer
- Elodie Navarre: French actress
- Elodie Yung: French actress
Elodie in Pop Culture
Elodie has recently been a common name in young adult novels and TV shows.
- Elodie: character in the Shadow Children series by Margaret Haddix
- Elodie: character in “A Tale of Two Castles” by Gail Carson Levine
- Elodie Davis: the main character in “Trinkets,” a Netflix original
- Elodie Lochan: character in “Throne of Glass” by Sarah J. Maas
- Elodie Parris: character in “Hex Hall” by Rachel Hawkins
- Elodie Verlac: character in “The Mortal Instruments” by Cassandra Clare
- Queen Elodie: character in the video game “Long Live the Queen”
If you’re interested in learning more about the name Elodie, we’ve included some FAQs for you to browse through below.
Is Elodie a Biblical Name?
The name Elodie is not in the Christian bible. However, it is considered to be a Christian name. Saint Alodia, the name of Elodie’s origin, is a Catholic martyr. This origin may have influenced Elodie as a Christian name.
How Old is the Name Elodie?
Elodie derives from the name Alodia in honor of the Spanish saint. Saint Alodia lived during the 9th century. It most likely took time for the French to popularize Elodie after hearing the Spanish name Elodia, taken from Alodia. Many famous names are derived from original names in Spain, France, Greece, and various other countries.