- Meaning: The name Lyra means “lyre” in Greek.
- Gender: Lyra is typically a girl name.
- Origin: The name Lyra is of Greek and Latin origins.
- Pronunciation: “LIE-ruh,” “LEER-ah,” or “LEE-ruh.”
- Popularity: Lyra is a popular name that ranks in the top 500 baby girl names list.
- Nicknames: Lah, Lye, Lyre, Rah, and Yah.
- Variations: Leer, Leera, Lela, Lierah, Lila, Lyrah, and Lyre.
- Namesakes: Lyra Antarctica Seaborn Sheeran, Lyra Cullum, Lyra Sheen, Lyra Taylor, Lyrae van Clief-Stefanon, Lyra Virna.
highest ranking in the top 1,000 since it entered the list in 2015.
How Do I Pronounce Lyra?
The American pronunciation for Lyra is “LIE-ruh.” Other pronunciations include “LEER-ah” or “LEE-ruh.”
Is Lyra a Boy or Girl Name?
Lyra is a name for baby girls since it is designated as a Latin and Greek feminine first name. The Social Security Administration only has ranking information for the baby girls list.
Variations of Lyra
Lyra is a short girl’s name with beautiful variations. These are the variations that we like for Lyra:
- Leer (Norman)
- Leera (Sanskrit)
- Lela (Swahili)
- Lierah (Hawaiian)
- Lila (Arabic)
- Lyrah (Muslim)
- Lyre (Greek)
Nicknames for Lyra
Lyra is a relatively short name, but it comes with quippy nickname possibilities. These are the nicknames that we love for Lyra:
Similar Names to Lyra
Lyra has many name similarities available related to astronomy and music.
Middle Names for Lyra
Since Lyra is associated with music and astronomy, it would pair well with middle names that have the same meaning. These are the middle names that we picked out for a little girl named Lyra:
Sibling Names for Lyra
If you have a daughter named Lyra, let’s explore some sibling names that would pair well with the name. These are the sibling names that we love for Lyra:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Lyra
Most celebrities named Lyra in America are children of notable celebrities. A couple of women named Lyra live in different countries. Here are the celebrities we chose to highlight with the namesake Lyra:
- Lyra Antarctica Seaborn Sheeran: Daughter of celebrities Cherry Seaborn and Ed Sheeran, who was born in 2020.
- Lyra Cullum: Daughter of Sophie Dahl Jamie Cullum, born in 2011.
- Lyra Sheen: Daughter of Michael Sheen, who was born in 2019.
- Lyra Taylor: New Zealand-born lawyer and social worker born in 1894.
- Lyrae van Clief-Stefanon: American poet born in 1971.
- Lyra Virna: Indonesian actress born in 1981.
Lyra in Popular Culture
Lyra is a whimsical name that matches unique and mystical characters in pop culture. We loved these pop culture references to the name Lyra:
- Lyra: Character in Ashley Griffith’s “Lyra: A Dark Fairy Tale,” released in 2015.
- Lyra: Character in the short film “Lief and Lyra” from 2015.
- Lyra: The She-Hulk in the Marvel comic books.
- Lyra Dawnbringer: Angel creature in card trading game, “Magic: The Gathering.”
- Lyra Heartstrings: Supporting character in “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.”
As you ponder whether you want to choose Lyra as the name for your daughter, we imagine you may have more questions. Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the name Lyra.
Does the Name Meaning Relate to Another Constellation?
Besides the constellation of Orpheus’ lyre, the name meaning Lyra also relates to the constellation that encompasses the star Vega. When combined with the constellations of Deneb and Altair, it forms the Summer Triangle asterism in the sky.
How Popular Are the Name Variations for Lyra?
Some name variations for Lyra are a little more popular. Compared to Lyra’s rank of #489, Lila places at #223. The other variations, such as Leer, Lyre, Leera, and Lierah, do not rank on the top 1,000 baby girls’ names list for the Social Security Administration.
Is Lyra a Pretty Name?
Lyra is a beautiful name that has a melodic and peaceful tone when uttered. Whether you love music or constellations, this would be a perfect fit for naming your daughter.