- Meaning: The name Jesse means “God’s gift,” “the Lord exists,” or “king.”
- Gender: Jesse is primarily a boy’s name, but it could also be another spelling of the female name Jessie.
- Origin: Jesse has both English, Dutch, and Hebrew roots, as the name of the shepherd father of King David in the Bible. It is an English version of the Hebrew name “Yishai.”
- Pronunciation: “JESS-ee.”
- Popularity: The 165th most popular boy’s name throughout the 2010s.
- Nicknames: Essie, Jay, Jay-Jay, Jess, JJ.
- Variations: Jessy, Iessai, Iessi, Isai, Isaj, Ishai, Issei, Yassa.
- Namesakes: Jesse Applegate, Jesse McCartney, Jesse Cox.
- What Does Jesse Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Jesse?
- How Popular Is the Name Jesse?
- How Do I Pronounce Jesse?
- Is Jesse a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Jesse
- Nicknames for Jesse
- Similar Names to Jesse
- Middle Names for Jesse
- Sibling Names for Jesse
- Famous People Named Jesse
- Jesse in Popular Culture
- Jesse FAQs
What Does Jesse Mean?
The name Jesse means “God’s gift,” “the Lord exists,” or “king.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Jesse?
Jesse has English, Dutch, and Hebrew roots, as the name of the shepherd father of King David in the Bible. It is an English version of the Hebrew name “Yishai”.
How Popular Is the Name Jesse?
Despite Jesse’s historical and biblical significance, it did not become a popular name until the late 1800s. Its popularity fluctuated throughout the twentieth century until it spiked in popularity in the 1970s. Jesse was also the 49th most popular boy’s name in the 1980s (1).
How Do I Pronounce Jesse?
You can pronounce the name Jesse as “JESS-ee.”
Is Jesse a Boy or Girl Name?
Jesse is primarily a boy’s name, but it also works as a different spelling of the girl’s name Jessie.
Variations of Jesse
Jesse may be a simple name, but there are a few international variations on this classic name, like:
- Jessy (English)
- Iessai (Greek)
- Iessi (Italian)
- Isai (German)
- Isaj (Czech)
- Ishai (Spanish)
- Issei (Romanian)
- Yassa (Arabic)
Nicknames for Jesse
Sometimes, it is fun or cool to give your Jesse a nickname, such as the following:
Similar Names to Jesse
Jesse is a great name, but sometimes you feel that a similar name will work better. You might pick from one of the following names in that case:
Middle Names for Jesse
The fun of picking any name is deciding which name sounds best after it. In the case of Jesse, some fun, cute, or cool middle names might include the following:
Sibling Names for Jesse
You can pick a bunch of names that begin with “J” or create a theme among siblings that includes the name Jesse. Whatever you choose to do, there are plenty of fun sibling names for Jesse.
For a Sister
For a Brother
Famous People Named Jesse
Although the name Jesse has not been prevalent for too long, there are several famous people with this name, such as:
- Jesse Alto: American poker player.
- Jesse Applegate: American pioneer and founder of the Applegate Trail.
- Jesse Bradford: American actor.
- Jesse D. Bright: U.S. Senator.
- Jesse Camp: Former MTV personality.
- Jesse Carmichael: Keyboard player for the American band Maroon 5.
- Jesse Cox: American YouTube gamer.
- Jesse Dylan: Son of Bob Dylan, American film director.
- Jesse Eisenberg: American actor.
- Jesse L. Greenstein: American astronomer.
- Jesse Jackson: American politician, minister, and civil rights activist.
- Jesse James: American Wild West outlaw.
- Jesse McCartney: American singer, musician, and voice actor.
- Jesse Metcalfe: American actor.
- Jesse Powell: American R&B singer.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson: American actor.
- Jesse Williams: American actor.
- Jesse Ventura: American pro wrestler and governor of Minnesota.
Jesse in Popular Culture
Given Jesse’s connotation as a pretty boy’s name, you can probably think of a Jesse or two in popular culture, including:
- Jesse “Jess” Aarons: A main character from the American novel and film Bridge to Terabithia.
- Jesse Chambers (Liberty Belle): A DC comics superhero.
- Jesse Duke: A character from the film and TV series The Dukes of Hazzard.
- Jesse Fitzgerald: A character from the 2009 American drama film My Sister’s Keeper.
- Jesse Katsopolis: Also known as Uncle Jesse, one of the main characters from the American sitcom Full House.
- Jesse McCree: A character from the video game Overwatch.
- Jesse Pinkman: A character from the American TV series Breaking Bad.
- Jesse Ryan: A character in the 1998 American horror film The Rage: Carrie 2.
- Jesse Stefanovic: A character from the Canadian TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- Jesse Tuck: A character from Natalie Babbit’s American novel Tuck Everlasting.
Even a short name like Jesse has plenty more to unpack.