Is your little one fond of cooking? Or does he or she simply want to mimic mom and dad in every way? Either way, you’ll be happy to learn that there are more options than expected when shopping for toy kitchen sets.
Featuring accessories, appliances, and even modern technology, these kitchen playsets aren’t only for entertainment and play; they’re also educational. Whether for a young toddler, or older kids, you’ll be able to find an appropriate kitchen set.
Before discussing the best toy kitchen sets, let’s have a look at the things to consider while doing your research. Then you’ll be armed with info and ready to go.
Learn Valuable Skills While “Cooking”
Let’s first take a quick peek at the developmental skills your kid can employ with the help of a toy kitchen set.
As your child grows, kitchen toys present a good opportunity to teach them useful habits, such as organization and responsibility.
Being organized is an important skill which can be acquired at a young age and is retained for a lifetime (source). Tidying up the kitchen, cleaning utensils, putting food away, and organizing the kitchen space might soon become second nature.
If you’re interested in learning about different tips to teach your child organizational skills, you might find this video interesting.
Fortunately, toy kitchen sets come in all shapes and sizes. From compact to full size, you’ll first need to determine how much space you have at home. You might want to dedicate a special area for it.
If you’re looking to save space, multi-purpose sets — such as kitchen activity tables — might be a good option. After playtime is over, the kitchen transforms into a regular activity table for everyday use.
Toy kitchen sets are usually made of either plastic or wood. Sets made of wood are generally more durable and will last longer. They’re usually heavier, though, and once set up in a specific place, you might not be able to move them easily.
Plastic kitchen sets are often much lighter, easy to clean, and generally more affordable. But, in general, they’re also less sturdy and might not last as long as the wooden varieties.
Some sets come with just a few utensils, while others are filled with pots, pans, and play food. While the inclusion of these items is convenient, many accessories are sold separately, so you can add as many or as few as you wish.
It might be advisable to start conservatively and add items over time, based on what your kid shows an interest in. Many accessories sold are interchangeable from brand to brand, so you can pick and choose.
The Best Toy Kitchen Sets of 2019
Whether your toddler is showing interest when you’re in the kitchen, or your older child wants to “entertain” their friends, toy kitchen sets are a classic choice. Let’s get into our top nine below.
1. KidKraft Uptown Espresso Kitchen
Modern Design for Modern Chefs
This popular kitchen is all about details. It’s suitable for kids 3 years and older and the slick, modern design should fit most playroom styles.
It has loads of realistic features, including clicking and turning knobs, an ice maker, a chalkboard, and a towel holder. Your kid could spend a great deal of time opening and closing the functioning doors on the fridge, oven, dishwasher, and microwave. They’ll be busy cooking, cleaning, and storing away any leftovers.
He or she can even talk on the phone with their bestie or place a grocery order from mom’s kitchen if they run out of something. Made primarily of sturdy wood material with some plastic features, you’ll be able to hand it down from one sibling to another. The set is 41 inches high, with a counter height of 22 inches, and 43 inches wide.
- Sturdy construction.
- Realistic look with shelves to keep kitchen tidy.
- Transparent windows on microwave and oven.
- Modern design.
- Plastic removable sink, for easy cleaning.
- Assembling the product takes a long time.
- It has no lights or sounds.
- No accessories are included
2. Little Bakers Kitchen Playset
It’s Baking Time
For those with a sweet tooth, this plastic kitchen comes with a cupcake set, utensils and other equipment. With a countertop that sits at 20 inches high, it’s appropriate for little chefs from 2 years of age.
For a real cooking experience, the stove and burners include turning and clicking knobs, and the pots and pans produce sizzling and boiling sounds. The attached high chair will allow your little one to cook while keeping an eye on their baby doll.
The recycle bin will teach your child the right habits from the start. It also features a mobile phone, an ice maker, an oven, and a microwave. All in all, 30 accessories are included so your kid won’t need more any time soon.
- The interactive cooking sounds are exciting.
- Attachable high chair for double mommy duties.
- More compact than others: 14 inches by 28 inches by 41.5 inches.
- Minimal assembly required.
- Assembly holes are not pre-drilled, so a drill may be required.
- Probably too small for children older than 5 years.
3. KidKraft Large Kitchen
Girly Girl Kitchen Set
This kitchen set comes in beautiful pastel colors. Even the faucet knobs, which usually look a bit drab, are blue and pink. For kids 3 years or older, it won’t disappoint with its features.
Why not teach your child how to use the pot holder to avoid getting burnt? Or how to stir the food using the spoon and spatula? These included accessories make playtime realistic and engaging.
The pink phone is a nice addition and might even be used without the kitchen set. All doors open, providing storage for other accessories while those on the oven and microwave have a window.
This allows your kids to check on their precious items being cooked. The knobs turn and click just like the ones in mom’s kitchen. Countertop height is 23 inches.
- Cute and girly pastel colors.
- Built to last — sturdy wood and PVC.
- Shelving for special items.
- Basic accessories to get your kid started.
- At over 80 pounds in weight, it won’t be easy to move once assembled.
- No pots or pans included, these must be purchased separately.
4. Melissa & Doug Chef's Kitchen
This high-end kitchen, from Melissa & Doug, comes with all the details needed to make it realistic. For kids 3 years and older, you have two color schemes to choose from. We’ve chosen gray and blue, but the pink is also attractive and bright.
The microwave plate rotates and the grocery list can be reused over and over again, as long as your little chef is using a pencil. Simply make a check next to the items they need, then erase it to use again next time.
For summer days, the ice dispenser will provide two pretend ice cubes. Just like in real life, place your cup under the hole and the ice cubes will be delivered. When the meal is over, the burner grates can be removed and cleaned.
Ample storage will help your child stay organized; no problems keeping the kitchen tidy and ready for the next playtime. The assembled size is approximately 40 inches wide and 36 inches high.
- Clear and detailed assembly instructions.
- An ice dispenser for those hot, summer days.
- Sturdy, high-quality wooden construction.
- Reusable grocery list.
- Movable knobs make a realistic clicking sound.
- Melissa & Doug Kitchen Accessory set must be purchased separately.
5. Step2 Walk-in Kitchen and Grill
Beware, you might envy your kid’s cooking space with this walk-in kitchen. It’s suitable for children ages 2 and up and should delight your kid well into their early school years.
This complete kitchen set contains every appliance and accessory needed for a full cooking experience. It includes a “stainless steel” oven, fridge, microwave, and a grill for BBQ time. It also comes with 103 accessories, from pots and pans to food items, such as BBQ sauce, fruits, vegetables, and more.
This interactive kitchen makes realistic sounds when grilling or frying food in the pan. Last but not least, the eat-in countertop and windows for ordering add to the charm of this set, encouraging social skills and different roleplay options.
- Countertop space.
- Baskets included for organizing.
- Durable and made in the United States.
- Realistic electronic appliances with sounds.
- “Hardwood” foam flooring adds to the appearance.
- Given the number of accessories, young children might need supervision.
6. Step2 Heart Of The Home
Pet-Friendly Cottage Kitchen
Recommended for children ages 2 and up, this might be the typical cozy kitchen found in cottages or chalets. A pretend wooden board contains hooks to hang utensils, and a frame to place a family picture.
I like the recycle bin, which introduces children to the concept of “less waste,” and the kettle might be the perfect accessory to make a pretend hot chocolate or tea. With a variety of other accessories included, we have a feeling your kid will be cooking for their siblings for hours on end.
- Includes 41 accessories.
- Interactive stovetop with lights and sounds.
- Pet area, not found in most other kitchen sets.
- Dry-erase board for grocery lists or family notes.
- Holes aren’t pre-drilled for assembly.
- A few users reported that the fridge door has problems closing.
7. Little Tikes Cook N Grow Kitchen
This kitchen set comes with two different setups, suitable for toddlers starting at 18 months old. The first configuration places the cooking surface closer to the floor, allowing the youngest to play, with the fridge and oven to each side.
As your kid grows, the fridge and the oven can be attached together, and the cooking surface placed over them. This kitchen set includes 26 accessories such as kitchen tools, food items, pots and pans, dishes, and cups.
The design of the backsplash is modern and cute, and sure to be appreciated by mom as your tot can prep you a cup of coffee while you stop by for a chat.
- A coffee pot and other accessories are included.
- Two setups for growing with your child.
- Realistic appliances with electronic sounds.
- An educational pot with a shape-sorting lid is included.
- The youngest might need some help opening and closing doors, which are not hinged.
8. KidKraft Vintage Kitchen
Vintage Kitchen With Style
As we know, storage space in a kitchen is an absolute must. This vintage kitchen comes with two decently-sized cabinets for that very reason. There’s also shelf space to help with that. The white color will match your decor, wherever it’s placed.
This cute set is conceived for children 3 years and up and showcases “stainless steel” finishing on the handles and knobs — they also make a sound when turned. A sliding oven drawer and a see-through microwave add to the experience while the phone enhances roleplay to imitate mom while cooking.
From the pretend ice dispenser to the little buttons on the microwave, no details are left out with this one.
- Ideal kitchen set for any fashionista.
- Storage areas for organization.
- Removable sink for easy clean-up.
- Time-consuming to assemble.
- Aside from the phone, there are no accessories.
9. Fisher-Price Servin' Surprises Kitchen & Table
Designed for toddlers 2 years and up, this sweet little kitchen playset functions as a pizza and grill station, complete with a stovetop burner and oven below.
The burner will grill the sausages and burgers included in the set. The interactive center tray talks and sings, encouraging roleplay, and it even comes with cookies and ice cream for two. Other accessories include a yummy pizza and place settings for two hungry tots.
When the fun is over, the oven slides off and the stovetop flips over to convert this set into a regular activity table.
- A multi-purpose kitchen playset with songs and phrases.
- Plenty of accessories included.
- The height is adjustable, so this one will grow with your child.
- Can be used as a normal activity table.
- Lightweight and not too sturdy.
- The included food items don’t encourage healthy eating.
Set the Timer
Looking for the best toy kitchen set might actually be a fun task. Many options are available, all suitable for different ages and interests. I hope this guide and the reviews have helped you choose the best option for your child.
Personally, I like classic but high-end kitchens. I also try to pick toys that can keep my child entertained for a few years. KidKraft Uptown Espresso Kitchen would be my choice for these reasons, although it’s a shame no accessories are included.
Are you looking for a toy kitchen set? Or if you chose one, which did you go for and is your kid enjoying it? Please let us a comment in the section below.