The toddler dinnerware market is saturated with plates, bowls, and placemats of all colors, shapes, and designs. These products are made with a variety of materials, from silicone to plastics to bamboo. Trying to choose your toddler’s dishes can quickly become overwhelming.
We’ve done our research, testing a variety of styles with our messy eaters and listening to recommendations from hundreds of munchkin moms. We’ve endured countless spills, messes, and the odd food fight to save you from similar disasters.
In this article, we’ll discuss what to look for when choosing your little one’s dinnerware. We’ll also bring you our thorough reviews of the best toddler plates, bowls, and placemats for easy meals with your little one at home and on the go.
- Portable and foldable
- Microwave, dishwasher, and oven safe
- Lifetime warranty included
- Portable with lids
- Variety of colors available
- BPA-free materials
- Two large compartments
- Safe for children
- Doesn't scratch or chip
- Dishwasher friendly
- Deep sides aid self-feeding
- Easy to clean
- Matching items can be purchased
- Raised edges to stop spillages
- Made from durable silicone
- Cute bus design
- Eco-friendly stainless steel
- BPA free
- Soft-tipped spoons
- FDA approved
- Easy to clean
- Durable silicone
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we understand the importance of finding the best toddler plates, bowls, and placemats for your child. Our team of experienced professionals conducts thorough research, analysis, and hands-on testing to evaluate products from a user’s perspective. We compare design choices, performance, and key decision-making factors to rank and review each product. Our criteria focus on safety, durability, ease of use, and age-appropriate features. Our assessment is supported by data, facts, and first-hand experiences, providing you with reliable evidence to make the best choice for your family. Trust Mom Loves Best to guide you through the world of toddler mealtime essentials.
The Best Toddler Plates, Bowls, and Placemats of 2023
Here are our favorite toddler plates.
Silivo Suction Cup Plate
Best Suction Plates
Hold back on the sticky tape — it’s suction cups to the rescue! This plate has four attached suction cups. There’s no need to wet each of them or the surface you are sticking them to; just press down, and you are good to go.
This plate doubles as a placemat to protect your dining surface from additional messes. It may not be the best for use on an uneven surface, but the soft silicone mold should still give ample protection.
The middle section of this plate is a cute elephant shape with raised edges. The high sides make it easier for your toddler to use cutlery. The elephant has compartments to keep food separate — perfect for fussy fingers.
This sweet plate is FDA-approved, heatproof, and portable. It will outlast your toddler’s messy days, so you can keep it for future children or pass it on to another messy eater when your little one graduates to standard dinnerware.
- Cute elephant shape.
- Various colors to engage your little one.
- Made from durable silicone.
- Portable and foldable.
- Non-spill design.
- Microwave-, dishwasher-, and oven-safe.
- Easy clean.
- The suction cups may not stick well to every surface material (e.g., wood tabletops).
WeeSprout Organic Bamboo Toddler Plates
Best Organic Toddler Plates
“Going green,” “eco-friendly,” and “green living” — these are all phrases we are used to hearing. This toddler plate gives moms the option of environmentally friendly dinnerware. Made from natural bamboo, it brings nature inside for mealtimes.
The plates are entirely toxin- and BPA-free and are available in different colors, making them safe for your little one and playful. Despite being made from bamboo, this organic plate is dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.
As if being an eco-warrior for choosing this plate wasn’t enough, it is made to last too! And it is dishwasher-safe and freezer-friendly.
- Safe for children — no chemicals used in manufacturing.
- Different colors to choose from.
- Scratch and chip resistant.
- Not safe to use in the microwave.
Innobaby Stainless Steel Divided Plate
Best Toddler Plates with Lids
This fun plate is portable and eco-friendly, and it comes with a lid. Whether you are going for a day trip or off to the park, this toddler plate has plenty of room for snacks.
The plate is shaped like a bus for extra child appeal and is made from food-grade stainless steel. The lid is great for keeping leftovers fresh.
It has five compartments of varying sizes to separate items for little fingers. The smallest compartments are great for introducing new foods a little at a time. They also help picky eaters by preventing foods from touching.
This product is non-toxic, BPA-free, and rust-resistant, making it great for any little eco-warrior, and you can recycle it when you no longer need it. Want to make it a set? To complete your dinnerware set, you can also purchase matching cups, bowls, and cutlery.
- Five compartments for a variety of food choices.
- Sets of one or two plates available.
- The eco-friendly design will last a long time and is recyclable.
- The lid seal may wear out over time, making the plate less portable.
- Compartment depth is not suitable for liquids.
DeeCoo Wheat Straw Dinnerware Sets
Best Toddler Complete Mealtime Set
If you are looking for dining products that come in a set and simply do their job, check out this classic 24-piece DeeCoo set.
We have loved these durable dishes for our little ones, and we know you will too. I bought a set when my eldest was small, and even now, years later, it is being used by my youngest child.
Vibrant colors create table appeal for your little one, and we appreciate that the set includes chopsticks and bowl. All items are made of BPA-free plastic, making them microwaveable and safe to use in the dishwasher. They are even recyclable when you no longer need them, but you may wish to pass them on to another little one as they last for years.
The 10-ounce cups are perfect for little hands, and since they only hold a little liquid, any spills will be minor. Although the plates have high edges, there are no suction cups or gripped material on their bases, so your little one will learn to be careful with their dishes from a young age.
- Bright, playful colors for both genders.
- Great for kids’ parties.
- No suction for stability while self-feeding.
- After continued dishwasher and microwave use, the plastic coating may begin peeling off.
Here are our favorite toddler bowls.
Lullababy Stackable Suction Bowls
Best Bowl With Clinging Power
This is an excellent set for everyday use and to take on the go. It includes three different-sized bowls for all portion sizes and snacks, and it comes with a spoon and fork. The bowls are FDA-approved and BPA-free, so you’ll have plenty of reassurance for your child’s safety.
These bowls are stackable and have snap-tight lids, so they’re great for storage and transportation. The large suction cup base can be secured to any flat surface, encouraging self-feeding and creating less mess for you!
They are easy to use and easy to clean. You can warm food in the microwave with these dishes, and they are dishwasher-safe. The manufacturer is so confident about these bowls that they offer a lifetime guarantee.
- The stackable design saves space in your cupboards.
- Lifetime warranty included.
- Snap-on lids make them portable.
- Large suction cup base.
- The suction cup is not as strong as some other designs.
- You may need to dampen the surface first before sticking it down.
Munchkin Divided Bowl and Plate set
Best Dynamic Duo
They may look like boring colored trays, but they’re functional. This set is another BPA-free product made from polypropylene plastic and thermoplastic elastomer. You needn’t be deterred by the materials, as they have been approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The bases have non-slip bottoms and are quite deep, making scooping easier without chasing the bowl across the table. They are divided, so different food items won’t touch, as we all know too well that dealing with toddler tantrums is not fun!
You can use these dishes in the microwave and dishwasher, saving you the extra cleaning. They nest together nicely, so they won’t take up too much cupboard space. You can even buy matching cups if you don’t like mismatched tableware.
- Available in two colors.
- Deep sides aid self-feeding.
- Easy to clean.
- You can purchase matching items to complete the set.
- Not very attractive in comparison to others on the market.
- They are smaller than they look in online images.
Munchkin Bowl and Spoon Feeding Set
Best Baby Bowl & Spoon Set
Buying a set that includes matching cutlery is always a bonus. This set by the reputable Munchkin brand includes soft-tipped spoons that are ideal for helping little ones wean. They will be gentle on your child’s emerging baby teeth.
Having portable feeding items is so helpful when you have small kids — or big kids who are always hungry. Kids tend to want to eat at the most inconvenient times — like amid a bathroom run at the mall.
These bowls are small enough to fit well in your hand, and the lids make them spillproof and leak-proof. You can pre-prepare meals and store them in these bowls, pop them in the freezer, then microwave them to defrost when needed. Waste not, want not!
Finally, they won’t take too much storage space, which means more cupboard room for snacks to fill them with!
- Easy handling due to size.
- BPA-free materials.
- Durable design will outlast your toddler’s messy eating days.
- Soft-tipped spoons are perfect for babies.
- The lids aren’t too secure, so these are not great for transporting liquids.
- Their size is more suited to toddlers with smaller appetites.
Eco-friendly Bamboo Bowls
Best Organic Toddler Bowls
Organic options are everywhere, and we moms want to make sure our little humans are protected from any unnecessary nasties as much as possible. Opting for these bowls will reassure you and help prevent further planet pollution.
Don’t worry — even though they are made from natural bamboo fibers, you won’t be depriving any pandas! They are degradable and from a sustainable source, with absolutely no chemicals. These bowls are surprisingly durable, given they’re made from natural components.
This bowl will withstand a “hangry toddler — or one that is in a full-on meltdown for any other reason!
However, they are not entirely perfect. This set is not dishwasher safe or microwaveable, so, unfortunately, you will need to hand wash them and heat food separately before use.
- Good size for children’s portions.
- Aesthetically appealing colors.
- Made of biodegradable bamboo.
- Not microwaveable or dishwasher-safe.
- More fragile than common compound plastics.
- Cannot hold super-hot liquids.
Here are our favorite toddler placemats.
Silicone Suction Placemat
Best Suction Placemats
Toddler dishes with suction are very popular with moms, especially for messy eaters. This placemat doubles as a bowl and includes a raised section in the middle for extra mess protection.
The divided section in the center is shaped like a duck, making it fun for mealtimes and keeping foods separate. The two compartments aid the integration of new foods into your child’s diet one section at a time.
However, the compact sections are best suited to smaller appetites, making for a variable age range as your little one can use them during weaning also.
This BPA-free silicone mat is highly durable. And it’s dishwasher-safe and stain-resistant, making it easy to clean.
- Different colors available.
- Raised sections.
- Strong suction cups underneath.
- Food grade material.
- Divided areas are small.
Baby Mumbo Silicone Placemat with Accident Tray
Best for Catching
This placemat will end your days of scraping cold, dropped food from every crease in the highchair.
It fits most high chair trays, or you can place it on any flat surface with its non-slip silicone base. The tray has raised edges to prevent spills onto the floor too. The silicone is free of BPA and toxins.
One of the best factors of this mat, other than its accident catcher, is how portable it is.
It can be folded easily and is very lightweight. We love that we can toss it in the diaper bag for use in restaurants, especially if you need to use a high chair. It can cut down on the germs your child is exposed to while using community high chairs.
- More than 10 bright colors to choose from.
- Raised edges stop spills.
- Made from durable silicone.
- Non-slip material sticks to surfaces.
- Great for using with most high chairs.
- As it doesn’t suction to the table, a child can still move it around on their eating surface.
Portable Silicone Cloud Placemat
Best Baby Placemat
Precision packing is a skill for us moms in planning a day out with children. It has become an art form — the more efficiently we stuff our bags, the less we feel like a pack mule when it comes time to cart everything out to the car.
The silicone placemats are lightweight and flexible enough to fold up in your diaper bag and quickly unroll to create a clean eating surface for your toddler anywhere. It’s not just for portable use either — these mats look great on any table.
This cloud-shaped mat is made with FDA-approved silicone, making it easy to clean, heat, and wash in the dishwasher.
The non-slip and toxin-free placemat sticks to any flat surface, and your little one can eat directly from it, with no need for additional dishes. Giving your child an array of food sitting on the cloud design will encourage self-feeding and is fun.
However, unless you are happy to put food directly on the mat, you may wish to carry additional items, such as bowls, for mealtimes.
- FDA-approved materials.
- Easy to clean.
- Cute cloud design.
- Available in different colors.
- Made with durable silicone.
- It lacks suction on the bottom and doesn’t stick to surfaces as well as some other placemats.
- Smaller design doesn’t cover as much table space.
Disposable Toddler Placemats
Best Disposable Placemats
If you are looking for ease of use or want to buy bulk placemats, you may want to consider this brainy design. Disposable placemats are practical, convenient, and used a lot in restaurants. The designs on this selection of mats are made with food-grade ink.
The images aim to engage children, with bright, educational animal scenes. However, your child may become more interested in moving their meal to one side to see the safari instead of eating.
These disposable mats have four sticky-back strips to adhere to surfaces, protecting your toddler’s meal from any bacteria left on a table.
They are biodegradable, as they are made from paper. However, they are easy to rip if your toddler is given a chance. And the cost will add up if you use them often.
- Engaging designs.
- Easy to use.
- They secure easily.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Single-use only, so not eco-friendly.
- May distract children from eating.
- The paper tears easily, so these are best for older toddlers.
What Will I Need?
It may seem like you had a newborn only yesterday. Now, suddenly, you have a toddler who is undoubtedly adorable, a little bit crazy, and becoming increasingly independent.
Have your little one started stealing food from your plate? Maybe it’s time to get them some dinnerware of their very own. You can purchase a toddler-sized version of all your feeding needs — from bowls, plates, placemats, non-spill cups, and soft training cutlery.
With dishes geared for little hands to grip and explore, your toddler will be able to eat and drink more efficiently and with less mess. It’s all about selecting which items will best suit their needs and yours. Making mealtimes fun and engaging aids your child’s development.
Types of Toddler Tableware
How to Choose the Best Toddler Tableware
First off, think about what attributes you want from any baby or toddler dinnerware.
These are some of the things you’ll need to consider:
- Use: Will your tableware be used on a high chair, benchtop, granite kitchen surface, etc.
- Cleaning: Is it dishwasher safe?
- Storage: Can you stack it to save room in your cupboards?
- Warming: Can it be used in the microwave to warm food?
- Age: What are the age recommendations for the product?
- Material: Is it made from child-friendly materials?
- Spills: Do you want it to have suction cups or be spill-resistant? Or do you prefer a slip-proof base to prevent spillage?
- Strength: Can it withstand a few bounces on the floor?
There are some important factors to consider about your child’s eating habits when choosing their toddler-sized dishes.
- Do they prefer to use cutlery?
- Are they self-feeding?
- Are finger foods more appealing?
- Will a playful design help encourage your little one to eat at mealtimes?
- Portion sizes: You don’t want to buy small bowls if they are big eaters.
- How much mess do they make? If your toddlers are like my little darlings, they will prefer decorating the walls and carpet, so you may want to look for dishes that suction to the table and won’t end up where they don’t belong.