Reusable baby food pouches make it easy to feed your baby all your homemade baby food goodness at home and on the go. But we’ve learned the hard way that some pouches do a better job than others.
You don’t want pouches that leak or are hard to fill. And you definitely want your pouches to be easy to clean to prevent mold and bacteria build-up.
As baby-food-making mamas ourselves, we’ve tried enough of these pouches and listened to the reviews of other parents to figure out which pouches are the most convenient. We’ve compiled this list of the seven best reusable baby food pouches so you can make feeding time easier for everyone and continue to feed your baby your homemade baby food when you’re on the go.
- Environmentally friendly & recyclable
- Comes with an extra lids
- Waterproof and leakproof
- Made of very flexible material
- Can be easily washed
- Super durable
- Variable-flow opening
- Free of toxins and microplastics
- Chemical free
- Larger than other pouches
- Used for multiple ages
- Easy to clean
- No pesky corners to trap food
- Freezer safe
- BPA-, phthalate-, and lead-free
- Filling funnel included
- 5-ounce capacity
- Can be stored in freezer
The Best Reusable Food Pouches of 2023
Here are seven great reusable baby food pouches to consider.
1. Healthy Planet Clear Reusable Food Pouches
These pouches are transparent on one side so you can see how much food is left and verify that it still looks fresh when you take it out of the fridge.
The bottoms open completely to clean them, and the leakproof dual zipper helps prevent messes. If you’re like most moms, the last thing you need is another mess on your hands.
They’re freezer and dishwasher safe and completely recyclable once your little one doesn’t need them anymore. They also come in two sizes to ensure you get the perfect capacity to match your little one’s appetite.
- Environmentally friendly and recyclable.
- They’re transparent.
- They come with extra lids.
- The lids are not attached, so they can get lost.
- Your child will outgrow the smaller ones quickly.
2. Squeasy Snacker Silicone Baby Food Food Pouch
High Quality Must Have
This pouch is made of food-grade silicone that fills from a wide-mouth top, so it can even be filled with liquid and not spill. The bottle-shaped design stands on its own, no matter how empty it is, and comes in three sizes and colors to suit all tastes and appetites. It also has a spillproof insert for extra protection for liquids.
It can be turned completely inside out for washing and popped in the dishwasher if you’d rather not hand wash.
And because it’s made of silicone, it will last longer than some of the other reusable food pouches. Not having to replace your baby’s food pouch as frequently might make you feel better about the money you’re spending.
- Waterproof and leakproof.
- It’s made of very flexible material.
- You can easily wash it.
- More expensive than other brands.
- You only get one per pack, so you’ll likely have to buy multiples.
3. Haakaa Yummy Squeezable Food Pouch
Best Silicone Pouch
This kit includes two 4.4 ounce silicone pouches. The neutral design is great for kids of all ages, and because it’s made of durable silicone, it will outlast even the best plastic reusable food pouches.
To fill the pouches, you untwist and remove the spout, so you won’t have to worry about messy leaks from the bottom of the pouch when in use. The spout is only activated by sucking, making these a fully spillproof design and ensuring little ones won’t squeeze too much into their mouth.
These pouches can be cleaned in the dishwasher, sanitized in boiling water, and stored in the freezer with no ill effects on the silicone.
The design enables them to stand upright when filled, and you can add a straw to help your little one suck up every last drop of homemade goodness.
- Super-durable silicone pouches.
- Variable flow opening allows little ones to feed at their own speed.
- Free of toxins and microplastics.
- It can be hard to clean food out of the bottom creases.
- They have a plastic smell upon unboxing.
4. Squooshi Reusable Baby Food Pouch
Great for Older Kids
These food pouches are gender-neutral with a versatile design, so they can be used for either babies or older children, boys or girls. They come in a larger size, 5 ounces, for bigger appetites, and the solid, leakproof zippered opening on the bottom helps prevent messes.
They’re made without BPA, PVC, lead, or phthalates and have a rounded bottom so food particles cannot be trapped in the corners.
This is one of the best options if you want to use your reusable food pouches to send things like smoothies in your older child’s lunch box, allowing you to get even more use out of them.
- They’re free of harmful chemicals.
- They are larger than many other pouches.
- They can be used for multiple ages.
- Big for smaller toddlers.
- Some users complained they are hard to clean.
5. WeeSprout Double Zipper Baby Food Pouch
Easy to Clean
One of the biggest complaints about reusable food pouches is that food can get stuck inside them, making them hard to clean. Not only is this annoying, but it can cause dangerous bacteria to grow. Use these double zippered pouches by WeeSprout to ensure your baby gets fresh, safe food every time.
Simply open the extra-wide bottom zipper, and turn on your faucet. Water flows through the zipper opening and out the spout. With a rounded design, there are no pesky corners to trap food.
Plus, these pouches are dishwasher safe. The backs of the pouches are transparent, so you can see how much food remains in the pouch and have a better idea if they’re fully clean after washing.
They’re a good choice for eco-friendly moms too. All the packaging and the pouches themselves are recyclable. You’ll also feel good knowing there aren’t any chemicals in the materials.
Each pack includes six pouches that hold five ounces of baby food.
- Super large opening on the bottom makes them easy to clean.
- Eco-friendly and chemical-free.
- There are no pesky corners to trap food.
- They’re a little smaller and won’t hold as much as other pouches.
6. Baby Brezza Baby Food Storage Pouches
This package gives you 10 reusable baby food pouches so you can freeze your food directly in the pouches for later use instead of having to transfer it from a storage container. Each pouch has a clearly-marked max fill line and a double zipper to prevent leaks and spills.
These pouches can be cleaned easily — water can run straight through — and the corners are rounded to prevent food particles from getting stuck. They’re even dishwasher safe if you’d rather not hand-wash your pouches.
There’s a handy peek-a-boo window on the side so you can see how much food is remaining. You may also use food labels and attach it to your pouch with your child’s name, food, and date for maximum safety.
- They’re freezer safe.
- BPA-, phthalate-, and lead-free.
- You get a large package of pouches.
- Filling funnel included.
- May need to purchase baby food labels.
- Will probably require immediate cleaning to prevent the food residue from sticking to the pouch.
7. ChooMee Reusable Baby Food Pouch
The Perfect Try-it-and-See Pack
If you’re unsure if reusable storage pouches are suitable for you, you don’t want to go “all in” right away. This petite 4-pack gives you the perfect opportunity to try them out and see whether you want to start building a larger collection.
The cute, colorful designs will grab the interest of your little one, and the 5-ounce capacity is a versatile size that will work for both younger or older babies.
They can be washed on the top rack of the dishwasher and tossed in the freezer for longer-term food storage. They also have a window at the top to see the quality and quantity of the food remaining.
If you have a younger baby, you can buy a silicone spout separately to cover the hard spout.
- They’re cute.
- They hold 5 ounces of food.
- The bottom opens completely for easy cleaning.
- The silicone spout is sold separately, making it an extra expense.
- There are only four in a package.
What are Reusable Baby Food Pouches?
Reusable baby food pouches are food storage containers that resemble the popular, squishy, single-use baby food pouches with twist-off caps available at most grocery stores. This pouch-style design is a newer innovation compared to the more traditional glass baby food jars.
Reusable baby food pouches typically have a spout on one end for releasing the food and a zippered enclosure on the other end for filling the container.
Why Do I Need Reusable Baby Food Pouches?
- They’re convenient: Because of their squeeze-and-suck design, pouches make it easy for babies to self-feed. This makes them ideal for on-the-go situations or when mom doesn’t have time to sit down and feed the baby.
- They’re economical: Disposable pouches of baby food can cost upwards of $2 each. Glass jars can run around $1. If you buy organic baby food, the prices jump even higher. You can make your own baby food for pennies, spoon it into a reusable baby food pouch, and — voila! — instant savings.
- They’re healthier: When you make baby food at home and serve it in a reusable baby food pouch, you control the quality of ingredients and the sugar content of the final product. You ensure that you’re only giving your baby your best.
- They’re less messy: If your baby is self-feeding, they can pop the spout of the pouch in their mouth and feed themselves with minimal mess. If you’re feeding them with a baby spoon, it’s also less messy to squeeze the puree onto the spoon instead of dipping it in a jar where the handle may get food on it and make a mess.
- They’re environmentally friendly: One of the major drawbacks of the baby food pouch craze is that they’re not recyclable like the old glass baby food jars (1). Reusable baby food pouches give you the best of both worlds — the feeding convenience of a pouch without all the waste.
How to Choose Baby Food Pouches
- Size: Know the volume your baby eats, and buy a pouch that corresponds or is a little larger. You can always fill it with less food, but if you overfill it and your baby does not eat the whole container, you’ll need to toss out the leftovers, which is wasteful.
- Material: Choose a container made of a material free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates as they’ve been linked to cancer and hormone disruption.
- Easy to Clean: Choose a pouch that’s easy to clean. Rounded corners are less likely to retain small food particles than sharp, square corners.
How Many Reusable Food Pouches Do I Need?
The number of baby food pouches you need will vary based on your frequency of use and how willing you are to wash them regularly.
It will also depend on whether or not you plan to use them for food storage or eating.
Some mothers like to make a full batch of baby food and fill the pouches directly, tossing them in the freezer and having them available at a moment’s notice. Others make and store their baby food separately, filling the pouches as needed.
The good news is that most reusable baby food pouches come with several in a pack. However, if you plan to use them to store food, you may need to buy extra.
How to Clean Reusable Baby Food Pouches
While convenient to use, food pouches can be a bit cumbersome to clean. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines, but cleaning for most is pretty standard:
- Remove the top or open the spout.
- Open the bottom zipper.
- Wash with warm, soapy water until all residue is removed.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick is the Healthy Planet Reusable Pouch. They come in two sizes, so you can choose the perfect size for your baby’s appetite. They are free of harmful chemicals and are transparent, so you can see the quality and cleanliness of the inside of your pouch.
Plus, they’re recyclable, so when you’re done with them, you don’t have to feel guilty about tossing them in the trash.
Self-feeding is fun, but it doesn’t have to be messy. And it also doesn’t have to come at the expense of the environment. Reusable pouches are great for your little one’s nutrition, good for the environment, and encourage your child’s independence.