Baby jumpers are one of those items that take up a lot of space in your home. So, are they really necessary? That’s a decision you’ll have to make, but we believe they’re well worth the loss of space.
Baby jumpers keep babies happy and active, allowing them to use that jumping instinct and jump to their heart’s content — without exhausting your arm muscles. A jumper allows your baby to experience some excitement, get some exercise, and get tired out for naptime!
If you’re shopping for the best baby jumper, you’ve probably realized the market is pretty flooded.
But don’t worry — we’ve reviewed the best picks on the market, evaluating each for safety, convenience, and fun factor. We’ve rounded up everything you need to know to choose the right one for your home and baby.
- With sounds and lights
- Comes with many different toys
- Machine washable seat
- Seat is machine washable
- 5 height positions available
- Easy to store
- Safer than doorway jumpers
- Seat fits tighter to the body
- Good for small spaces
- Unisex design
- 3-stage activity design
- Increases spatial awareness
- 360-degree rotating seat
- Colorful and eye-catching
- Doesn't require door frame
- 3-in-1 design
- Made & assembled in U.S.
- Has carrying handle
- It stores flat
- Supports proper posture
- Lightweight and portable
- Has sunshade
- No assembly required
- Compact and portable
- Includes a cushion
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we pride ourselves on providing you with a thorough analysis and assessment of the best baby jumpers available. Our hands-on research and experience allow us to evaluate products from a user’s perspective, ensuring you receive reliable, data-driven information. We compare and rank baby jumpers based on crucial factors such as safety, stability, adjustable height settings, and entertainment options. Our reviews demonstrate our expertise in the field as we share quantitative measurements of each jumper’s performance and identify key decision-making factors. We also delve into each product’s design choices and their effects on users, providing first-hand evidence to support our recommendations. Trust us to guide you in finding the perfect baby jumper that meets the highest standards for you and your little one.
The Best Baby Jumper of 2023
Here are our favorite baby jumpers on the market.
Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
Best Activity Jumper
From your babe’s jumping feet to the birds dangling overhead, this bouncer is three-dimensional fun. Lights and sound reward your child for jumping and spur them on toward more fun.
It has a light-up musical piano that babies love to pound on.
The seat fully rotates, and the springs that facilitate jumping are covered to help prevent pinched fingers. When it’s time to pack it away, the frame folds in on itself to shrink the size and make it more compact.
Because moms are constantly thinking about clean-up and safety, they should be relieved to know the soft seat pad is removable and washable, and it’s made of BPA-free plastic.
- It has sounds and lights to motivate baby to jump.
- It has many different toys to grab baby’s attention.
- The seat is machine washable.
- It’s bulky.
- It does not store flat.
- There are only three height adjustments.
Baby Einstein Activity Baby Jumper
Best Jumper for Big Babies
This jumper will accommodate a large variety of baby sizes. It has five different height settings, and the weight limit is 25 pounds. The seat can spin 360 degrees so your child can easily reach any of the tempting toys.
The seat cushion is removable and machine washable, and everything else on the jumper can be wiped down and sanitized as it’s hard plastic. You can hang additional toys from loops on the jumper, allowing you to personalize the jumper and mix it up when they start to lose interest.
Finally, even though it’s rather large, it can fold flat for storage and may even fit out of sight under a bed or crib.
- It’s versatile.
- Seat is machine washable.
- It will hold baby’s attention.
- It has five height positions available.
- It’s bulky.
- It is expensive.
- Some features require batteries.
Taleco Gear Jumper with Stand
Best Portable Baby Jumper
This baby jumper is not as compact as a doorway jumper but is much more versatile because it doesn’t require a doorway.
Because of its simple fold-flat design, it’s perfect for on-the-go use — whether that’s to grandma’s house or on your next camping trip. It will fit in the trunk of your car while still allowing you enough room for your other luggage.
The stand was designed to facilitate better jumping action, but because it’s on a free-standing frame, you no longer have to worry about the risk of your child running into the door frame and getting hurt.
The narrow seat keeps your baby’s legs from bowing while jumping, and it can easily be used indoors or outdoors.
- It is portable.
- It collapses flat for easy storage.
- It is safer than doorway jumpers.
- It is not versatile because it doesn’t have any toys attached.
- It is not as compact as doorway jumpers.
Jolly Jumper Exerciser with Door Clamp
Best Jumper for Small Babies
Unlike many other bouncers, the seat on this one more closely resembles a wearable harness. This means it fits closer to your child’s body to prevent them from falling to one side or another, which is of particular concern if your child is smaller than average.
However, even if you have an average- or larger-sized baby, this product should still work, as the upper weight limit is 28 pounds.
Since it’s a door jumper, it secures to the door frame and molding, meaning it won’t take up valuable real estate in your living room. It also takes up minimal space in storage.
The height is adjustable by using more or fewer chain links, and the design is such that your baby can jump enough to have fun but not so much that they may get injured.
- Seat fits tighter to the body.
- It’s good for small spaces.
- It stores well.
- It is a unisex design.
- Your door and frame must fit certain specifications.
- Cannot be used outside.
- The spring is exposed, which could lead to pinched fingers.
Skip Hop Explore and More Baby Center
Best Whole Body
This baby jumper has more than meets the eye. With a special three-stage activity design, your baby can have fun while developing motor skills and higher brain function. They’ll enjoy it for years to come.
We love that it supports a whole-body approach to play and learning. It features a 360-degree rotating seat, four movable toys with room to attach more, and a discovery window — one of the best features.
The discovery window is a clear panel, allowing children to see their feet. Your child will learn how their leg movement causes the jumper to move. They’ll also gain a better understanding of spatial awareness.
All of this combines into three activity stages. You can use it as a simple chair jumper that stays in one place, an activity cruiser that toddlers can stand at and cruise around, and a stand-alone play table.
- Three-stage activity design gives you years of play.
- Discovery window increases spatial awareness.
- Some of the attached toys can pinch your baby’s fingers.
Fisher-Price Animal Wonders Jumperoo
Best All-in-One Jumper
This jumper has no exposed springs, so your little one’s fingers will be safe. The seat is removable and washable, and you can wipe down the rest of the BPA-free bouncer.
The frame is made of sturdy steel, so your child can bounce without you fearing for their safety. The seat adjusts to three different heights, so you can personalize it based upon their unique size.
Every aspect of this jumper should make worried moms feel more at ease, including the wide base that is less prone to tipping.
There are lights, sounds, and music to delight your child, along with sensory toys. The seat spins 360 degrees so your child can reach each point of interest.
- It’s durable.
- Colorful and eye-catching.
- It does not require a door frame.
- It takes up a lot of space.
- Some features require batteries.
- It only has three height adjustments.
Evenflo Exersaucer Triple Fun Learning Center
Best for Small Spaces
This jumper can take the place of three pieces of gear in your space-limited home, and it offers entertainment through a variety of stages of play. Not only is it an activity jumper with loads of toys attached, but without the jumping feature, it also can be used as either a playmat or an activity table.
When used as an activity jumper, there are three adjustable heights. It contains 11 toys and activities designed to help your child with fine motor skills, object exploration, and tactile development.
It has a removable soft seat pad that you can toss in the washing machine, and the whole toy was designed, created, and assembled in the U.S.
- It’s a 3-in-1 piece of baby gear.
- It is made and assembled in the U.S.
- It has 11 different toys to keep your baby entertained.
- It has a carrying handle.
- It only adjusts to three heights.
- It takes up floor space.
- Some features require batteries.
Jolly Jumper Original on a Stand
Best Safe Jumper
This is all the fun of the classic doorway jumper with none of the risks. The saddle seat clips directly to a frame instead of a tension-set clip, which reduces the height from which it’s suspended and the risk of product failure.
It’s a good pick for safety-minded moms who feel doorway jumpers are unstable.
The seat supports your baby’s spine to facilitate proper posture, and you can adjust the actual height of the jumper so your baby’s feet can be positioned properly on the floor.
It folds flat for easy storage or portability and can be used either indoors or outdoors.
- It is portable.
- It stores flat.
- It supports proper posture.
- Babies may outgrow the height quickly.
- It requires a lot of space when set up.
- No included toys to capture baby’s attention.
Summer Pop ‘n Jump Baby Jumper
Best Travel Baby Jumper
Sometimes, when you’re on the go, you need a place for your baby to play without getting full of dirt and sand. This portable jumper could be the perfect solution for your active lifestyle.
Arriving fully assembled and needing only to be unfolded, this activity jumper is ready to go at a moment’s notice. And it collapses just as easily — fitting into an included travel bag with a shoulder strap.
And after a day at the beach with your baby, you can pop the seat off and toss it in the washer to clean.
- Lightweight and portable.
- It has a sunshade.
- It fits well with an active lifestyle.
- There is no assembly required.
- It’s not as durable as traditional activity jumpers.
- It only has three height adjustments.
- It may not be as stable as full-feature jumpers.
Bright Starts Playful Parade Baby Jumper
Best Affordable Option
The maximum weight for this economical jumper is 26 pounds, so it’s easy to justify this inexpensive purchase as you know your baby will get plenty of use out of it.
The spring is covered to help protect your little one from finger pinches, even though it’s well out of their reach. An adjustable strap allows you to change the height based on your child’s size to help foster better posture while jumping.
The two straps alongside the seat promote stability, though the top strap and spring are long and could cause your child to swing a little more wildly than you’d expect. Make sure you always supervise your child in a jumper, and stay close to your child if you choose this one.
- It is compact and portable.
- It’s economical.
- It has additional toys to play with.
- It includes a cushion to prop up smaller babies.
- The construction is not as sturdy as wider jumpers.
- The long spring may cause your baby to swing more than you’d like.
What Is a Baby Jumper?
A baby jumper is an activity seat affixed to an elastic harness that allows your baby to use their legs to propel themselves up and down.
They may also be known by these names:
- Bouncers — not to be confused with infant bouncy seats.
- Activity centers — not to be confused with infant play mats.
- Jumperoo — a brand name frequently associated with jumpers.
Types of Baby Jumpers
There are several types of baby jumpers available.
Perhaps the most common thing you picture when you hear the term jumper is a baby seat that attaches to a door frame. With this style, the baby is secured in a belt or harness and is able to jump up and down in the doorway.
- Potential safety issues if clamp breaks.
- Can be hard to use the doorway without bumping into baby.
This design is similar to a doorway jumper, but it comes with its own frame, so the whole thing sits lower to the ground. This means it’s more versatile because you can use it outside or in spaces that don’t have a door frame.
It’s also safer as the bungee cord is not as long and can not swing your child as far.
- Easier to store than an activity center.
- Safer than a doorway jumper (1).
- Can be used in more spaces.
- More expensive.
- Potential stability issues.
These jumpers are also commonly known as exersaucers, a brand name by Evenflo. They not only feature the ability to bounce but provide buttons to push, rattles to shake, and other attention-grabbing toys and features to keep your child busy even after they’re done jumping.
- More versatile than other models.
- Offers a variety of entertainment.
- More expensive.
- Takes up a lot of floor space.
- May be overstimulating for some babies.
How to Choose a Baby Jumper
When purchasing a baby jumper, look for the following:
Why Do I Need a Baby Jumper?
Jumpers provide great fun for babies and a break for their parents. They allow your child to play independently, see the world from a new perspective, and often include some new toys.
They also give caregivers peace of mind since they know the child is safely contained and not at risk of wandering or getting into things around the house.
How Old Should My Child Be to Use a Jumper?
Babies should never be placed in a jumper until they have the strength to control their neck — usually around 4-6 months (2). Because they are in a seated position and the jumping motion can be a bit jarring, babies should only use a jumper when they have good head control and their neck muscles don’t tire too quickly.
In addition to that general age threshold, each manufacturer outlines the recommended age, weight, and height restrictions of its products.
Watch The Restrictions
Baby Jumper Safety Considerations
In addition to following your manufacturer’s age and size guidelines, there are some other things to be aware of when purchasing and using a baby jumper.
- Duration of use: Though terms like “exersaucer” and “jumper” make it seem like your baby is getting exercise and working their muscles, the truth is that these devices have the potential to cause more developmental harm than good. This is primarily because of the baby’s position in the jumper. It can affect their posture, hinder muscle control, and even delay walking. Limit use of the jumper to 15 minutes a day to avoid potential developmental delays (3).
- Height position: Make sure your jumper is positioned at the proper height for your baby — they should not be flat-footed, nor should they be on their tiptoes. Pay close attention to the jumper’s height to ensure it is not in a developmentally harmful position.
- Dual bungee cords: Doorway jumpers tend to have the highest potential for injury — both from product failure like the clamps not being secure and from children bumping into the door frame from all the bouncing. You can minimize this risk by choosing a jumper with two bungee cords, which offers more stability and helps direct a child’s motion up and down and back and forth, reducing side-to-side bouncing or wild swinging that could cause them to hit the side of the wall. The challenge is that these are not widely available. Alternatively, you can use a standard jumper, but place it in a wide door frame.