If your child loves working with their hands, it makes sense that you want to find them a quality toy workbench. Like play kitchens, toy workbenches help benefit several aspects of growth and development and help children learn necessary skills as they play.
We know that as moms, we want what’s best for our children, and looks can be deceiving when it comes to play sets. So we’ve studied the market, compared all the options, and asked parents and caregivers for their input.
We’ll explain what to look for in a toy workbench and review all the top-rated workbenches to save you time and help you choose a top-quality workbench for all your little one’s projects.
- Looks just like grown-up workbench
- Adjustable height for long-term use
- High-quality materials
- Storage shelf underneath
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- 75 tools & accessories
- Realistic lights and sounds
- Encourages safety
- For indoor or outdoor usage
- Sliding doors for extra storage space
- For children under 3 years old
- Collapses into transportable tool kit
- Many different tools and objects
- Real working drill
- Comes with a birdhouse kit
- Good for parents of multiples
- Plenty of storage
- Great for small spaces
- Eco-friendly and FSC certified
- Non-toxic, water-based paint
- Comes with several project ideas
- 76-piece pretend play accessory set
- Pull-out utility bench
- Soft, durable toddler-safe tools
- Fosters imaginative play
- Ideal for traveling
The Best Kids Workbenches of 2023
Whether you’re looking for classic or high tech, compact or life-size, we’ve put together a variety of options for you. We selected these workbenches because of their educational and developmental features, durability, visual appeal, affordability, and fun factor.
1. Hape Master Workbench for Kids
Great for Practicality
The Master Workbench by Hape is unique because it has an adjustable height option, so it can grow with your child.
It also comes with storage space underneath the bench to store all 32 pieces that come with this set.
Those pieces include several gears that can be twisted into the pegboard — an excellent tool for teaching cause and effect. This set is recommended for children ages 3 years and up.
- Looks just like a grown-up workbench.
- Great for developing fine motor skills.
- Adjustable height for long-term use.
- Vague assembly instructions.
2. Melissa & Doug Wooden Project Kids Workbench
Best Classic Design
This workbench by Melissa & Doug comes in a timeless design and includes tools and other pieces that work together. This particular bench is great for kids who like to use their hands and build things.
It has a step-by-step guide for six projects and a storage compartment underneath to make clean-up fast and easy.
This bench is a great option for families that take a natural approach to toys. It’s made of high-quality wood to ensure stability and safety for children ages 3 to 6 years.
- Made of high-quality materials for safety.
- Storage shelf underneath.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
- Assembly requires a drill and some construction skills.
3. Black+Decker Junior Power Workbench Workshop
Most Realistic Design
Recommended for ages 3 and up, this workbench is suitable for kids who like sensory toys. The Black+Decker Junior Power workbench workshop comes with 75 different tools and accessories.
It also provides realistic drilling sounds with its battery-operated power drill. Each tool is made to look identical to tools you might see in an adult’s workshop.
This workbench comes with storage space underneath the work area, so those 75 separate pieces don’t sound as intimidating as they did initially. Aside from the encouragement of pretend play and motor skills, this particular set is also great for teaching kids about safety.
- Same brand as mom and dad’s tools.
- Equipped with realistic lights and sounds.
- Encourages safety.
- Only comes with one project.
4. Little Tikes Tough Workshop
Best Workbench for Toddlers
While most workbenches for kids are geared toward children ages 3 and older, this Little Tikes workshop is made for ages 2 and up. It comes with 11 accessories, a sliding door underneath, and a pegboard and hooks for optimal storage.
The complexity of this workbench isn’t very high, which is great for children who are just beginning to enjoy pretend play. It comes with a hammer and nails that can be pounded into a provided hole, which makes for great hand-eye coordination practice.
- Can be used inside the house or out in the yard.
- Sliding doors to hide storage space.
- Caters to children under the age of 3.
- Doesn’t come with anything to cut with the saw.
5. Liberty Imports Toy Tool Workbench
Best Tool Variety
This handy toolkit-turned-workbench comes with a huge range of tools, so your child can learn a variety of skills. They’ll never get bored experimenting with all the pieces in this set.
The set includes 11 tools, a variety of screws in multiple sizes, and much more, and it opens up from a basic took box to a full workbench. Even grandpa will be jealous!
One tool we know your child will love is the realistic drill. Add two AA batteries, and it will mimic an authentic drill with real sounds!
Each tool has its own place on the workbench. This makes it easy to store, but it can also be easily transported. Since everything has its place, you’re less likely to lose parts as you move it from place to place.
- Collapses into a transportable tool kit.
- Includes over a dozen tools and objects.
- Battery-operated working drill.
- Every tool has a place.
- It could be more sturdy.
- The poor-quality drill may not last long.
6. Step2 Big Builders Pro Workshop
Best Bang for Your Buck
The Step2 Big Builders Pro Workshop comes with 45 pieces, including a foam birdhouse kit that changes color when you “paint” it with water. It also comes with a built-in table saw for the most creative projects.
This is a bigger workbench, at 27.5 inches by 38.5 inches, so it may not be optimal for families with limited space. However, its size makes it an excellent toy for more than one child to play with at the same time. There’s also plenty of storage space underneath to keep all the pieces. For ages 3 and over.
- Comes with a birdhouse kit to build.
- A good option for families with multiple children.
- Plenty of storage.
- Assembly is time-consuming.
- Instructions only include pictures.
7. EverEarth Toddler Workbench
Most Compact Workbench
The EverEarth toddler workbench is optimal for families with limited space. This workbench can easily fit on a shelf. We love that it’s made of eco-friendly, toxin-free wood — good for kids and the environment.
The workbench comes with five tools and several wooden nails, screws, and other accessories. Some of the pieces are small, so they should be put away if your child puts things in their mouth. Because of the small pieces, it’s recommended for children ages 3 and above.
- Measures 15 inches by 9 inches by 13 inches — great for small spaces.
- Materials are eco-friendly and FSC-certified.
- Wood is stained with non-toxic, water-based paint.
- Older children may find it too small at just over 2 feet high.
8. Step2 Pro Play Workshop & Utility Bench
Most Interactive Workbench
The Step2 Pro Play workshop is the big kahuna. Although at the top end of the price range, it comes with the most accessories, and it’s huge! It has a 76-piece accessory set and foam projects for little ones to put together.
The Pro Play workshop provides children with a variety of activities for playing with this set.
It also comes with a utility sink, pull-out bench, and plenty of storage space to store all the accessories. This workbench is optimal for children ages 3 and up.
- Comes with several project ideas.
- Lots of storage.
- Plenty of interactive properties, including a working vice.
- Takes up a lot of space.
9. Learning Resources New Sprouts Fix It!
Great for the Youngest Carpenters
The Learning Resources New Sprouts Fix-It kit is a good fit for parents looking for something simple and inexpensive for their toddler. Although it’s not a workbench, your little one can work wherever they please. It comes with five tools and a little carrying caddy to hold them in.
The drill makes a noise when you squeeze the handle. But you don’t need batteries as the noise comes from a spring inside the drill.
This set is great for little ones ages 2 and up. It introduces the world of pretend play by providing a few tools and leaving the rest to your child’s imagination.
- Great for kids from 2 years old.
- Tools are the perfect size for little hands.
- Fosters imaginative play.
- Ideal for traveling.
- The drill could be more durable.
How to Choose a Kids Workbench
Finding the right workbench for your kid can be tough when so many unique options are available. Maybe you’re looking for something more compact to fit in your limited space. Or it could be that you want a really realistic workbench for your little construction worker.
When searching for just the right toy, there are certain factors to consider to ensure you pick something that will suit your child and grow with them.