- Meaning: Remi can mean either cure or remedy, or it can translate to oarsman.
- Gender: The name Remi can be used for both boys and girls, though this particular spelling is most popular for girls.
- Origin: The name Remi is of French origin and stems from the Latin language.
- Pronunciation: “REHMiy”
- Popularity: Remi has not been very popular historically, but in recent years it has seen a spike in popularity.
- Nicknames: Rem, Rems, Rem-Rem, Mem, Mimi.
- Variations: Remigio, Remus, Romedi, Romed.
- Namesakes: Remi Hirano, Remy Ma, Jacques Rémy.
What Does Remi Mean?
The name Remi has two known meanings behind it. The first meaning is cure or remedy, such as for an illness or an issue. The second meaning is oarsman or rower, like someone who operates a boat.
What Is the Origin of the Name Remi?
The name Remi has its roots in French culture and stems from the Latin name Remigius. (1) Historically, the name has been used both as a first name and as a surname.
How Popular Is the Name Remi?
The name Remi is popular in the United States, ranking at #122 in 2021. (2) It’s also a very popular name in other countries, including Australia, England, and Scotland.
In the US, the name entered public records during the 1960s. It had a very slow start with a subtle spike in the 90s. In the year 2016, the name saw a huge peak in popularity when its usage went up by 175 percent.
How Do I Pronounce Remi?
The name Remi is pronounced “re-mi” or “REHMiy.” Its pronunciation does not change whether it is spelled with an “i” on the end or a “y.” It also stays the same when used for a male or female.
Is Remi a Boy or Girl Name?
Historically, dating back to its French and Latin origin, the name Remi or Remy has been used as a gender-neutral name. Parents have given the name to both boys and girls, often using the spelling Remi for girls and Remy for boys. Both spellings have been used for both genders.
The spelling Remi has been used for about 80 percent of female babies, while the other 20 percent have been male.
Variations of Remi
If you’re not entirely sold on the name Remi, but you still like it, then you might find one of these name variations more suitable for your taste. However, they all mean the same thing in different languages, so your baby’s name will still be Remi.
- Remigio (Italian, Portuguese, Spanish)
- Remigia (Italian)
- Remigije (Croatian)
- Romed (German)
- Romedi (Swiss German)
- Remigiusz (Polish)
- Remus (Romanian)
Nicknames for Remi
Nicknames are always crucial to consider when choosing a name. Check out some of these nicknames for the name Remi:
Similar Names to Remi
Again, you might like the name Remi, but that doesn’t mean you’re not open to other options. These names below are similar in sound, meaning, or origin to Remi:
Middle Names for Remi
Whether you like Remi for a girl or Remy for a boy, you need a good nickname that will pair well with it. Here are a few ideas for both genders:
Sibling Names for Remi
If you are planning for multiple children, it can be fun to see what names go together best. Here are a few great sibling names for Remi:
Famous People Named Remi
Sometimes it’s fun to know you or your child has the same name as someone famous. Below is a short list of famous people with the name Remi:
- Remi Hirano: Japanese celebrity chef.
- Alfred Remy: American music theorist.
- Remy Cabella: French soccer player.
- Remy Ma: Female American rapper.
- Jacques Rémy: French soccer player.
- Remy Ryan: American actress.
- Remy Zaken: American actress.
Remi in Popular Culture
You might be interested to know that the name Remi, and variants of that name, have been used several times throughout popular culture, including these instances:
- Dr. Remy “Thirteen” Hadley: Character from “House, M.D.”
- Remi Briggs: Character from the series “Blindspot.”
- Remi: Character from Netflix Series “Sex Education.”
- Remy Danton: Character from Netflix series “House of Cards.”
- Remy Buxaplenty: Cartoon character from children’s show “The Fairly OddParents.”
- Remy LeBeau: X-Men character, Gambit.
- Remy: Rat chef protagonist from the film “Ratatouille.”
- Remy: Character from the series “New Girl.”
- Remy Scott: Character from “FBI Most Wanted”
Remi is a unique name of French origin, but you might still have some other questions about it before you choose it. Take a look at some frequently asked questions about the name Remi.