Just because you’re a mom doesn’t mean you want to look like one.
While the stretch marks, cellulite and extra pounds we’ve gained from having our children are well worth it, at the end of the day, we’re still women.
We don’t want to look frumpy, messy and disorganized. We want to look stylish while rocking our new duties as moms.
If you don’t want to let your fashion sense fall by the wayside just because you’ve had a kid, but you also need a bag that’s functional enough to carry everything you need, you’ve come to the right place.
Here’s how to find the best breast pump bag that does its job with style.
- Has drop handles and crossbody strap
- Designated cooler compartment
- With metal feet
- Has 2 water bottle pockets
- Doesn’t feel too large
- Used as shoulder bag or backpack
- Super stylish
- It’s versatile
- Purposeful design
- Can fit a laptop
- Multiple pockets
- Multiple pockets
- Easy to clean
- Stylish appearance
- Special pocket for cooler bag
- Highly affordable
- 12 handy pockets
- Three insulated pockets
- Fits most brands of breast pumps
- Fashionable design
- Spacious compartments
- Thermally lined
- Large compartments
- Prevent mildew, mold, and stains
- Combines fashion and functionality
- Several pockets
- Looks sophisticated
Are Breast Pump Bags Necessary?
Breast pumps have a lot of pieces to them, and they can be big and fairly heavy. They aren’t going to fit into most ordinary purses while still leaving room for the other items you have to carry around with you on a day-to-day basis.
But aside from the convenience aspect, carrying traditional breast pump cases into work is a little embarrassing. When I would bring in the free bag that came with my breast pump to work, my co-workers would instantly know what was in it. They didn’t even have to ask — they could spot it a mile away.
While my co-workers knew I pumped anyway during my lunch breaks because I worked in a small building, I didn’t enjoy everybody in the office knowing my business.
The best way to avoid awkwardness when it comes to breast pumping is to find a discreet bag (not the obvious one that comes with the breast pump) that you’re comfortable and confident using on the sly.
When Should I Begin Using One?
You’ll want to have a breast pump bag ready to go as soon as you return from the hospital. While you might be staying at home for a week or two, slowly you’re going to start venturing out to visit friends or relatives.
Your best bet is to select one a few weeks before your delivery date, along with your other baby gear (1). That way, if you go into labor earlier than you think, you won’t be scrambling to find something while trying to take care of your new baby.
Choosing the Best Breast Pump Bag
Whether you’re using it for work, for vacations or simply for days away from home, your bag should meet all your basic needs — and look good doing it.
Here are some things a great breast pump bag should be:
- Easy to use: If you struggle to fit your pump in the bag or if it’s difficult to open, that bag just isn’t for you.
- Durable: Breast pumps and their accessories can be pretty heavy so your bag should be strong enough to put up with that kind of weight on a daily basis (2).
- Lightweight: Since pumps can be quite heavy, so you don’t want your carry bag adding any unnecessary extra weight.
- Practical features: Your bag should have enough pockets to keep you happy and enough spare room to carry any extra items you may need with you. It should also have a designated lined area for storing your pumped milk.
- Stylish: You want a bag that you’ll feel good about carrying, preferably one that doesn’t scream that you’ve got your pumping equipment stashed in there.
- Affordable: You won’t feel good about a bag if all you can think about each time you look at it is how much you spent on it. On the other hand, you don’t want to pinch pennies and end up with something that breaks a month down the line.
- Versatility: If you’re heading out for a night away without your baby, it’d be nice to get some extra mileage out of your pump bag by using it as an overnight bag. Choose a bag that can be reused as a beach bag, a carry-on, or a bag to haul your laptop in.
Best Breast Pump Bag Reviews of 2020
Here are the best bags to help breastfeeding mamas store their pumps:
1. The New Yorker Breast Pump Bag by Charlie G
Not every woman wants cutesy florals or placid-looking pastels on her baby gear. If your style is generally polished and structured, you'll want a high-end bag with a classic shape and chic design.
This sleek, elegant bag will go with all your outfits. It’s black so it won’t clash with anything, plus it won’t show dirt or stains the way lighter-colored bags will.
It’s nice-looking enough that you can use it in both a professional context or for your personal life. It was created by a mom who wanted to find a chic bag that she would be comfortable carrying around.
It fits Ameda, Medela, Philips and Spectra pumps, and more. It also has a designated cooler compartment that fits many of the brand name coolers that come with pumps. That way you’ll be able to safely transport your hard-earned breast milk.
- It has drop handles and a crossbody strap.
- It even comes with a dust bag so you can store it when not in use.
- It has metal feet so your bag won’t rest on the floor.
- This bag is expensive.
- The zippers can be difficult to zip.
2. Sarah Wells “Kelly” Breast Pump Bag
Most moms wear many hats throughout the day. You may be hustling on your commute one moment, in the boardroom the next and back at home nursing later that day. A convertible backpack comes along for the ride and adjusts according to your needs.
This bag can be a shoulder bag or a backpack. It’ll work however you want to wear it.
Since it’s made out of nylon, it’s a breeze to clean. All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth.
This bag is extra tall, making it one of the few brands out there that can handle hospital-grade pumps like the Symphony.
It has eight pockets, which should be enough for even the most organized of moms. It even has a padded laptop pocket that can hold a 17-inch laptop, which is great news for busy moms who need to multi-task.
- It has a water bottle pocket that can hold two water bottles or baby bottles.
- For fitting so much stuff inside, this bag doesn’t feel too large.
- You can keep your keys, lip balm, and phone in one of the outside pockets so they don’t get buried at the bottom of the bag.
- It’s more than some women will want to spend.
- The backpack straps are pretty thin which makes them dig into your shoulders.
3. Sarah Wells “Lizzy” Breast Pump Bag
If you’re going to be away from home longer than an hour or so when you’re pumping, you can definitely benefit from an insulated cooler compartment. All you have to do is throw in an ice pack and the milk will be kept cold for hours.
This bag can double as a carry-on bag or a beach bag when you aren’t using it for pumping. You can stick a towel in the lower pump section of the bag and be all set for a day on the beach.
It has thermally lined pockets you can use to store recently expressed milk along with an ice pack to keep it cool for approximately 6 hours. In case of any spills, this bag is easy to clean since it’s made of wipeable nylon.
- This bag is lightweight.
- It’s super stylish.
- It’s versatile and you can use it long after you’re done with pumping.
- It’s expensive.
- The straps could use a little extra padding to make them more comfortable.
4. Sarah Wells “Claire” Breast Pump
When you take a breast pump bag to work, you want it to pull double duty as your purse, so you don't have to carry two bags to the office. It needs to have enough room to fit your personal items as well as everything you need for pumping.
This high-end bag has thermally lined pockets at the bottom of the bag on each side, where you can put your pump and accessories. You can even use ice packs in the thermal pockets to keep your expressed milk cold for up to six hours.
It looks stylish, but it’s also easy to clean. You can just wipe the inside or outside of the bag with a damp cloth since the material is made from nylon.
It’ll fit a variety of breast pumps, including popular brands like Medela, Spectra, Ameda, and Freemie.
- It has shoulder straps and a cross-body strap, which gives you a choice on how to wear it.
- You can also fit a laptop in this on top of all your pumping equipment.
- It has multiple pockets for your essentials.
- There’s a pocket on the outside that’s perfect for your cell phone.
- It’s expensive.
- This bag is so big that shorter women may feel it’s too much for them.
5. Dr. Brown’s Breast Pump Carryall Tote
With so many essential items to pay for when you’re expecting a baby, it’s hard to fork over money for something like a breast pump bag. Even though they’ll make your life easier and keep you more organized, it can feel like an extravagant purchase. By keeping your bag cheap, you won’t feel so bad about coughing up the money.
You won’t get all the bells and whistles that you’ll get with the more expensive bags, but this one will still do the job at a fraction of the cost.
It has a classic design that isn’t fancy, but it’s nevertheless a discreet bag that people would never guess is actually holding a breast pump.
The gray color will go with a variety of outfits, and it’s made of polyester that’s easy to clean with a damp cloth. While this isn’t the biggest bag on the market, it will hold most breast pumps as well as a bottle cooler bag.
- It has multiple pockets so you can stay organized.
- Easy to clean.
- There are no built-in thermal pockets.
- The side pockets open up into the main part of the bag and aren’t separate compartments.
6. Bananafish Fashion Breast Pump Bag
You're a mom now, but that doesn't mean you have to suffer lugging great big carry-alls or diaper bags over your shoulders. There's no reason not to have a backpack to carry your pump. There are plenty out there that are chic and super comfortable to carry.
This Bananafish bag will fit Spectra pumps, as well as all of the best-selling pumps you may be considering.
It even has a drop-down pocket that has a spot for your baby’s picture. Having that picture nearby when you’re pumping can help with your letdown, which is important when you’re trying to pump while you’re away from your baby.
This purse is made with neutral colors — black, taupe and khaki, so it will go with many outfits without clashing.
Despite its many pockets and stylish appearance, this is a well-designed bag that will easily hold your equipment and accessories.
- It has both carrying handles and a long, adjustable shoulder strap.
- This bag has a special pocket for your cooler bag.
- It’s highly affordable.
- Some moms have had trouble with the zipper getting stuck.
- You won’t have lots of room left over after fitting all your pumping equipment in.
7. Momcozy Breast Pump Bag
The Momcozy Breast Pump Bag is perfect for organized parents. It has 12 handy pockets so you can store your breast pump, plus lots of other essential items. With the pockets, everything has its place and you won’t lose things in this large bag.
This bag fits most brands of breast pumps. This includes Spectra, Medela, Bellababy, Elvie and many more.
This bag is perfect for working moms or stay at home moms. Why? Because it has a built in padded laptop sleeve. This bag makes your life easier. Now, just take one bag to work. You can keep your breast pump in here, as well as all your work essentials.
In fact, there’s a special opening for many brands of breast pumps. You can access your breast pump without even fully taking it out the bag which keeps everything contained and more discreet.
Lastly, this bag has three insulated pockets. Perfect for keeping snacks cool while you’re on the go.
- 12 handy pockets for ultimate storage.
- Fits most brands of breast pumps.
- Special opening for the breast pump.
- Three insulated pockets for snacks.
- The straps aren’t that comfy.
- If you use a Spectra pump, there’s not much leftover space in the bag.
8. Flybold Breast Pump Bag
Moms who exclusively pump have a lot to remember and a lot to carry. Finding the right bag to help you keep everything straight, especially since breast milk needs to be properly stored, is important. You’ll want a bag that fits any breast pump, all of your accessories, and keeps milk at the right temperature.
Fit everything you need to pump and much more in this chic bag from Flybold. Its spacious compartments allow you to carry your breast pump, bottles, ice packs, and your favorite pumping accessories wherever you go. Better yet, you can also bring along your other essentials, including a wallet, phone, or even a computer.
The two side pouches are thermally lined to keep milk cold for approximately six hours and foam insulating material is sewn throughout the lining of the bag. You can pump whenever you need, discreetly store the bottles in the bag, and bring them home without the milk spoiling. The bag even includes a staging mat so you can place all of your accessories on a sanitized surface.
Best of all, the bag is fashionable and you’ll love carrying it with you. It features a black base and tan PU leather handles. Take it to work, take it on errands, or take it anywhere.
- Fashionable design is perfect for stylish, working moms.
- Spacious compartments allow you to carry your breast pump and accessories.
- Thermally lined so your milk stays fresh and safe.
- The included staging mat may get messy and you’ll want to be careful not to damage the bag.
9. Ju-Ju-Be Be Supplied Structured Breast Pump Tote
Some breast pump bags are so nice you may be hesitant to use them. After all, motherhood is nothing if not messy. If you want a nice bag that you don’t have to fret about if milk spills, look for a bag that is easy to wipe down and is made of odor-resistant materials.
Combining fashion and functionality, this unique breast pump bag is perfect for withstanding the rigors of motherhood. With large compartments, you can fit everything you need while the structured bottom and form help keep the bag from collapsing down. Easily move the bottles and pump back and forth without a struggle.
Most importantly, the fabric was made to handle messes. With Teflon and Agion fabric treatments, this bag repels stains and inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold, and mildew. If a little bit of milk is transferred between pumping sessions, you don’t have to worry about breeding germs and bacteria.
However, this bag isn’t just about your baby. The front pocket was especially designed for moms and easily fits keys, cosmetics, wallets, or more. We also love the different pattern options, which are simple, but chic.
If you’re a mom who wants to look good, but not stress about the mess, this bag is a great option.
- Holds its form and holds all your accessories.
- Fabric protection treatments prevent mildew, mold, and stains.
- Front pocket was designed just for your own essentials.
- It doesn’t have enough room to function as a diaper bag if you’re trying to consolidate.
10. J.L. Childress Breast Pump Bag
Women have differing opinions about what bags and colors are stylish, but there’s one color that never seems to go out of fashion — black. Black won’t show dirt or stains and it goes with everything. So with a black bag at your side, you can be assured that you’ll always look stylish and put together.
This bag comes with a whopping six pieces. You’ll get the pump bag, a cooler bag, a wet bag, an accessories bag, a dry cloth and a handbook that offers tips, guidelines and encouraging words. The cooler bag can hold four bottles or up to eight storage bags of milk.
The dry cloth is a nice touch because it can be used to wipe up spills and can be placed on your lap to safeguard your pants against leaks.
This black bag is made of water-resistant material that can be wiped down quickly when it needs to be cleaned.
- It has several pockets, including a pen pocket.
- This bag looks sophisticated but not too fancy so that you can use it at work or a day out with friends.
- The dry cloth is a nice addition.
- Although you get a lot of items for your money, it’s fairly expensive.
- It isn’t as big as many others which may be disappointing to women hoping to fit a laptop in there too.
How to Organize a Breast Pump Bag
If organization isn’t your forte, don’t worry. In addition to the pump, pump accessories and bottles, make sure you’ve got the following on hand and you’ll be covered:
- Wet bags: You’ll need Ziplocs or specially designed bags to hold your breast pump parts and flanges, and keep them clean and in one place. A good idea is to store clean items in one side pocket and used items in another.
- Pump wipes: In a pinch, you might need to simply wipe down the pump until you can wash it more thoroughly at home later. Pump wipes also double as hand wipes or a quick solution if you spill milk on your clothing.
- Pumping bra: Don’t forget to include any special bras you might use while you pump, plus a spare just in case. Throw in a few breast pads while you’re at it.
- Ice packs: If you’re carrying milk for a while, it’s a good idea to keep some ice packs around. Look for slim lunch-box styles and keep a few at home in the freezer to replace as you go.
- Something to sterilize: You might like to pack a cold water sterilizer solution or else a microwave steam sterilizer bag to keep your pumping accessories clean on-the-go. These won’t take up much space but can make a huge difference.
- Little luxuries: Pack a small jar of nipple cream that can double as a hand cream since you’ll be washing your hands frequently. A small cloth can come in handy, and a water bottle and a small snack are great if pumping leaves you feeling a little drained sometimes. A picture of your baby or a book to pass the time might also work for you.
How to Clean a Breast Pump Bag
Most bags will be made of synthetic material that’s easy to wipe down with a damp cloth. If yours is made entirely of fabric, read the label to check if it can be hand washed or put in the washing machine. Otherwise, a breast pump bag isn’t that different from any other bag or backpack: spot clean when necessary with a little warm water and dish soap.
It’s a good idea to keep hand sanitizer, wipes, a cloth, a little sponge or one of each in your bag to quickly catch spills and keep things fresh and clean. Store your bag open when not in use to prevent musty smells from developing.
What About You Mama?
What is your top pick for the best breast pump bag? Let us and the other mamas know down in the comments below. Us mothers have to watch each other’s backs!