Just because you’re a mom doesn’t mean you want to look like one.
While the stretch marks, cellulite and extra pounds we’ve gained from having our children is well worth it, at the end of the day we’re still women.
We don’t want to look frumpy, messy and disorganized. We want to look stylish while rocking our new duties as moms.
If you don’t want to let your style fall to the wayside just because you’ve had a kid, but you also need a bag that’s functional enough to carry everything you need, you’ve come to the right place for finding the best breast pump bag.
|1. Sarah Wells “Kelly”||Medela Pumps|
|2. Bananafish Fashion||Spectra Pumps|
|3. Kaylaa Premium||Large Size|
|4. Sarah Wells “Annie”||Exclusively Pumping|
|5. Dr. Brown’s Carryall||Budget Friendly|
|6. Sarah Wells Claire||Working Moms|
|7. Nurse Purse Fern||Occasional Pumping|
|8. Sarah Wells Lizzy||With Cooler|
|9. J.L. Childress||Stylish|
|10. The New Yorker||Ameda Pumps|
Why Should I Buy a Breast Pump Bag?
Breast pumps have a lot of pieces to them and they can be big and fairly heavy. They aren’t going to fit into most ordinary purses while still leaving room for the other items you have to carry around with you on a day-to-day basis.
But aside from the convenience aspect, carrying traditional breast pump carrying cases into work is a little embarrassing. When I would bring in the free bag that came with breast pump to work, my co-workers would instantly know what was in the bag. They didn’t even have to ask — they could spot it a mile away.
While my co-workers knew I pumped anyway during my lunch breaks because I worked in a small office, I didn’t enjoy everybody in my office knowing my business.
And if you happen to have any creepy guys working with you, you don’t want to give them any additional reason for thinking about your boobs.
The best way to avoid uncomfortable comments about breast pumping is to find a discreet bag that doesn’t come with your breast pump so it isn’t carried by the wives, sisters and daughters of everyone in your office.
When Should I Begin Using a Breast Pump Bag?
You’ll want to have a breast pump bag ready to go as soon as you return from the hospital. While you might be staying at home for a week or two, slowly you’re going to start venturing out to visit friends or relatives.
Your best bet is to select one weeks before your delivery date, along with your other baby gear (source). That way if you go into labor earlier than you think you will you won’t be trying to search for a breast pump bag while you’re trying to take care of your infant.
What Should I Look For in a Breast Pump Bag?
Whether you’re using your breast pump bag for work, for vacations or simply for days away from home, they should meet all your basic needs.
Here are some of the things your breast pump bag should offer:
- Be easy to use: If you struggle to fit your pump in the bag or if it’s difficult to open, that breast pump bag isn’t for you.
- Durable: Breast pumps and their accessories can be pretty heavy so your bag should be strong enough to put up with that kind of weight on a daily basis (source).
- Be lightweight: Since breast pumps can be quite heavy, you may not want your breast pump bag weighing too much when it’s empty. That’ll be too much to carry around.
- Have great features: Your bag should have enough pockets to keep you happy and enough spare room to carry any extra items you may need with you. It should also have a designated lined area for storing your pumped milk.
- Be stylish: You want a bag that you’ll feel good about carrying, preferably one that doesn’t scream that you’ve got your pumping equipment in there.
- Be within your budget: You won’t feel good about a bag if all you can think about each time you look at it is how much you spent on it. But, on the other hand, you don’t want to pinch pennies too much on something you’ll use every day.
- Versatility: If you are heading out for a night away without your baby, it’d be nice to get some extra mileage out of your breast pump bag by using it for something other than pumping. Picking the right bag may let you use it for other purposes, like a beach bag, a carry on, a bag to haul your laptop in, or an overnight bag.
The Best Breast Pump Bags of 2018
Now that you know if you need a bag especially for your pump, what the benefits of having one are, and exactly what to look for —
Here are our top 10 picks in 2018:
This high-end bag has thermally lined pockets on each side at the bottom of the bag where you can put your pump and accessories. You can even use ice packs in the thermal pockets to keep your expressed milk cold for up to six hours.
It looks stylish, but it’s also easy to clean. You can just wipe the inside or outside of the bag with a damp cloth since the material of the bag is made from nylon.
It’ll fit a variety of breast pumps, including popular brands like Medela, Spectra, Ameda and Freemie.
- It has shoulder straps and a cross-body strap, which gives you a choice on how you want to wear it.
- You can also fit a laptop into this bag even with all your pumping equipment in.
- It has multiple pockets for your essentials.
- There’s a pocket on the outside that is perfect for your cell phone.
- It’s expensive.
- This bag is so big that shorter women may feel it’s too much for them.
This Bananafish bag will fit Spectra pumps, as well as all of the best-selling pumps you may be considering.
It even has a drop-down pocket that has a spot for your baby’s picture. Having that picture nearby when you’re pumping can help with your letdown. That’s important when you’re trying to pump while you’re away from your baby.
This purse is made with neutral colors — black, taupe and khaki. That means it will go many outfits without clashing.
Despite its many pockets and stylish appearance, this is a well-designed breast pump bag that will easily hold your equipment and accessories.
- It has both carrying handles and a long, adjustable shoulder strap.
- This bag has a special pocket for your cooler bag.
- It’s highly affordable.
- Some moms have had trouble with the zipper getting stuck.
- You won’t have lots of room left over after fitting all your pumping equipment in.
This bag can be a shoulder bag or a backpack. However you want to wear it, it will work.
Since it’s made out of nylon, it’s a breeze to clean. All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth.
This bag is extra tall, making it one of the few breast pump bags out there that can handle hospital-grade pumps like the Symphony.
It has eight pockets, which should be enough for even the most organized of moms. It even has a padded laptop pocket that can hold a 17-inch laptop. That’s great for busy moms who need to multi-task when they are away from home.
- It has a water bottle pocket that can hold two water bottles or baby bottles.
- For fitting so much stuff inside, this bag doesn’t feel too large, which is nice for women who don’t want to be overwhelmed by carrying a huge bag.
- You can keep your keys, lip balm and phone in one of the outside pockets so they don’t get buried at the bottom of the bag.
- It’s more than some women will want to spend.
- The backpack straps are pretty thin which makes them dig into your skin.
This sleek, elegant bag will go with all your outfits. It’s black so it won’t clash with anything. Plus, it won’t show dirt or stains the way other brighter or lighter-colored bags will.
It’s nice-looking enough that you can use it in the professional world or for your personal life. It was created by a mom who wanted to find a chic bag that she would be comfortable carrying around.
It fits Ameda pumps, along with Medela, Philips, Spectra and more. It also has a designated cooler compartment that fit many of the brand name coolers that come with pumps. That way you’ll be able to safely transport your hard-earned breast milk.
- It has drop handles and a cross body strap.
- It even comes with a dust bag so you can store it when it’s not in use.
- It has metal feet so your bag won’t rest on the floor.
- This bag is expensive.
- The zippers can be difficult to zip.
This breast pump bag is made of black material that shouldn’t show any dirt or stains, even with heavy usage. The faux leather material is durable so it will hold up month after month.
It can fit most of the popular portable pumps and has high-weight straps that won’t break under the strain of all the stuff you cram in your bag.
It has both a cross-body strap and handles so you can choose which method of carrying it is the most comfortable for you.
- It has exterior pockets so you can store your items like your phone and keys that you need easily accessible.
- Thermally-lined pockets are included so you can store your pumped milk right in the bag.
- It’s expensive.
- It doesn’t fit a laptop and a pump too well at the same time.
You won’t get all the bells and whistles that you’ll get with the more expensive breast pump bags, but this one will do the job at a fraction of the cost.
It has a classic design that isn’t fancy, but it is a discreet bag that people would never guess is actually holding a breast pump.
The gray color will go with a variety of outfits.
It’s made of polyester and is easy to clean with a damp cloth. While this isn’t the biggest bag on the market, it will hold most breast pumps as well as a bottle cooler bag.
- It has multiple pockets so you can stay organized.
- Easy to clean.
- There is no built-in thermal pockets.
- The side pockets open up into the main compartment of the bag, not their own compartment.
This bag can handle the majority of breast pumps and it’s highly versatile. It has a removable or adjustable insert so this bag will work as a diaper bag, gym bag or an overnight tote.
You won’t need to completely take your pump apart between uses because you’ll have easy access to your whole pump with this bag.
It has side pockets for water bottles and enough room for a laptop if you want to carry one with you.
The bag is also lightweight so the main weight you’ll feel is from the items you bring with you — not from the bag.
- Stylish design with a fun print.
- The removable insert makes it more versatile.
- It’s roomy enough for a laptop too.
- It’s fairly expensive.
- The straps could be more comfortable.
This cheery-looking bag can cram in alot. It looks more like an overnight bag or beach bag than a breast pump bag.
It has insulated pockets that are resistant to water and spills. And you can use ice packs in these pockets to keep your pumped milk cold until you can get home to store it properly.
It’s big enough to store most of the popular breast pumps as well as a laptop and anything else you’ll need during your day away from home. It has separate zippered pockets so you can store smaller items without spending valuable time trying to locate them in this big bag.
- This bag is huge.
- The compartments for the pump and bottles are separate.
- It’s easy to clean.
- It’s pricier than some other options.
- Some moms have had trouble with the handles breaking.
This breast pump bag comes with a whopping six pieces. You’ll get the breast pump bag, a cooler bag, a wet bag, accessories bag, dry cloth and a handbook that offers tips, guidelines and encouraging words. The cooler bag can hold four bottles or up to eight storage bags of milk.
The dry cloth is a nice touch because it can be used to wipe up spills and can be used on your lap to safeguard your pants against leaks.
This black bag is made of water-resistant material that can be wiped down quickly if it needs to be cleaned.
- It has several pockets, including a pen pocket.
- This bag looks sophisticated but not too fancy — you can use it at work or a day out with your friends.
- The dry cloth is a nice addition.
- It’s fairly expensive, but you get a lot of items for your money.
- It isn’t as big as many other breast pump bags which may be disappointing to women hoping to fit a laptop in there too.
This bag can double as a carry-on bag or a beach bag if you aren’t using it for pumping purposes. You can stick a towel in the lower pump section of the bag and be all set for a day on the beach.
It has thermally lined pockets you can use to store recently expressed milk along with an ice pack to keep them cool. In case of any milk spills, this bag is easy to clean since it’s made of wipeable nylon.
- This bag is lightweight.It’s super stylish.
- This bag is versatile and you can use it long after you’re done with pumping.
- It’s expensive.
- The straps could use a little extra padding to make them more comfortable.
And The Winner Is…
From the first glance, my favorite breast pump bag was the Sarah Wells “Abby” bag. I loved the look of it — it looks like you’re taking a vacation instead of heading out for an ordinary day. Fortunately, the performance of this bag lived up to the appearance.
While it is expensive, it’s a great bag that has real leather straps that feel comfortable under all the weight you’ll put in the bag and they’ll hold up well without breaking.
It has thermally-lined pockets so you can keep your breast milk cold after you’ve pumped. Plus, the bag is easy to clean and includes photo pouches so you can always have a picture of your baby with you.
Let me know about any breast pump bags you have tried in the past — I always love to hear about great new products and which ones to stay away from. We mothers have to watch each other’s backs!