Dinosaurs are a hallmark of childhood for most of us. Whether you couldn’t get enough of the Tyrannosaurus rex, Stegosaurus, or Triceratops, you probably had a favorite dinosaur yourself.
If you’re looking to add dinosaurs into the mix for your kids, we have some great options here for you.
We’ve rounded up all of the best dinosaur toys for kids to help you find the perfect one.
- 48 jumbo dinosaurs
- Creative and educational
- With 1 learning activities eBook
- Playful colors
- Realistic detail
- 10 inch plush dinosaurs
- 20 dinosaur action figures
- BPA-free non-toxic plastic
- Breath-taking setting for dino hunting
- Fun and educational family game
- 500 questions
- 100% high quality
- From natural clay & premium ABS
- 12 pcs dinosaur eggs
- Realistic dinosaur figures
- Hand painted vibrant colors
- Durable non-toxic BPA-free vinyl
- 3 real dinosaur fossils
- Hands-on exploration
- With full-color learning guide
- Brightly colored
- Can be played in 3 ways
- 20 dinosaur magnets
- Sturdy wooden storage box
- Size varies from 3-6 inches
- 12 different dinosaur figures
- Life-like size
- Learning and skill development tool
How to Choose a Dinosaur Toy
When it comes to choosing the best dinosaur toys you have lots of choices. It doesn’t have to be overwhelming though. Here we’ll take a look at some of the important factors you’ll want to consider before snatching up those dinosaur figures.
- Educational: A captivating and perennial favorite, children love to learn about and explore dinosaurs. Don’t miss this opportunity for early developmental growth, and consider dinosaur sets that are more than just fun.
- Fun: On the flip side, fun is also important of course! If your toy isn’t engaging, it’s less likely your child will invest the time in playing — and learning.
- Realistic: If you have young children, you may want to stay away from realistic dinosaur figures. Toddlers and babies are usually drawn to cute figures or stuffed animals — they may be afraid of something too lifelike. For older children, on the other hand, realistic dinosaur figures can add to the drama and encourage creative play.
- Open-ended play: Dinosaur figures and playsets are perfect for open-ended play. This type of play has no finite conclusion or rules and encourages creativity and imagination (1). Providing your child with open-ended toy options can lead to great leaps in skill development, including language and social progress.
- Materials and safety: Whatever kind of dinosaur toy you choose, you need to make sure it’s safe for children to use. All materials should be safety-tested and any paints or finishes should be approved for use in children’s toys (2).
The Best Kids Dinosaur Toys of 2021
These are our favorite dinosaur toys for kids.
1. Jumbo Sorting and Counting Game
This fun dinosaur game can be used in a variety of ways. Use it to encourage early math skills or to practice motor skills. It’s a great educational activity for teaching patience and allowing children to build social skills.
This set comes with stacking cups, a dinosaur-shaped grabber, 48 dinosaur figures, two-game dice, a travel dinosaur backpack, and an ebook. Your child will want to spend hours creating their own games while building their skill base. This counting game is suitable for children ages 24 months and older.
2. Prextex Plush Dinosaurs
This set of four 10-inch plushies is a great way to introduce creative play to even the youngest children. Great for toddlers, these cute and friendly-looking dinosaurs are brightly colored and an easy size to handle.
This set is hand washable and the plushies are filled with stuffing material. The dinosaurs are soft, cuddly, and great for open-ended play.
3. ToyVelt 50-Piece Dinosaur Set
This BPA-free set comes equipped with its own travel-friendly case. It includes 20 different realistic dinosaur figures, 29 landscaping trees and rocks, and one playmat. It’s a great toy set for traveling and will provide hours of imaginative play.
These dinosaurs are hand painted and suitable for children ages 3 and up. The playset comes with a money-back guarantee. If you’re dissatisfied with the purchase for any reason you’re able to return it.
4. Top Trumps Dinosaur Quiz Game
Great for ages 8 and up, this trivia card game is perfect for merging educational play and dinosaurs. There are 500 trivia enclosed in easy-to-carry plastic case.
Favorite dinosaurs that come with this game include Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor and the astounding Archaeopteryx.
5. Dino Egg Dig Kit
Looking for the coolest dinosaur toy? This might be one to consider. A set of 12 dinosaur eggs each contain a different dinosaur. Your child can experience paleontologist life while excavating fun, realistic figures. This excavating kit is great for outside on a beautiful day.
Accompanying full-color profile cards contain great information about the individual dinosaurs. A STEM activity for children ages 6 and older, favorite dinosaurs in this set include Iguanodon, Ankylosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus rex.
6. Joyin Dinosaur Figures
This 14–piece set comes with articulated dinosaurs, adding to the fun. Both the jaw and the legs are capable of movement.
Ranging in size from 5–9 inches, these dinosaurs are suitable for children 3 years old and up. The hand-painted figures are made from non-toxic and BPA-free vinyl. They’re durable and conform to US toy safety standards.
7. National Geographic Dig Kit
This educational dinosaur kit gives your child the opportunity to be a paleontologist. Not only do they get to unearth dinosaur fossils with this kit, but they also get to enjoy the accompanying full-color learning guide.
Suitable for children ages 6 and up, the National Geographic dig kit includes one digging brick that contains three different fossils. A no-risk purchase, this kit also comes with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
8. Peaceable Kingdom Match Up Memory Game
A great toddler dinosaur activity for children 24 months and over, this matching game encourages processing and motor skills. Durable and brightly colored, these cards are made from a thick cardboard material.
This game set can be played in three ways. The game cards can either be matched face up to learn basic recognition, face down for a classic memory game, or you can flip the cards over to find a challenging 24-piece floor puzzle!
9. Melissa and Doug Dinosaur Magnets
These 20 different dinosaur magnets come in their own sturdy wooden storage box. Varying in size from 3 to 6 inches long, the magnets are suitable for children ages 2 and up.
The entire back of the dinosaur figure is magnetic. They work well on magnet boards as well as on refrigerators and other magnetic surfaces. The dinosaurs are identified on the back of the storage box so children can easily learn the names of their favorites.
10. Li'l Gen Dinosaur Set
A great choice for children from the age of 3 years old, this fun set comes with 12 different dinosaur figures. Also included in the package is a book that incorporates sounds as your child learns about the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.
The included dinosaur figures are each 7 inches. Baryonyx, Allosaurus, and T-rex are a few of the favorites featured.
11. Melissa and Doug Jigsaw Puzzle
This puzzle set comes with four different beautifully colored wooden puzzles. A sturdy wooden storage box will help you keep track of your puzzle pieces and makes storage easy.
This set is great for children between 3 and 6 years old, and helps encourage logic and processing skills. Each completed puzzle measures 7 inches by 4.5 inches.
12. Mini Dinosaur Toy Set
This 35-piece set contains 30 dinosaurs, 2 eggs, and 3 trees. It’s conveniently packed in a plastic storage tube. Each piece is approximately 2.8 inches tall and the set is suitable for children 3 years of age and older.
Made from non-toxic plastic materials, these dinosaurs can stand on their own. Their small size and travel tube make them a great choice for cars and prolonged periods in waiting rooms.
13. Melissa and Doug Floor Puzzle
This extra-large floor puzzle has 48 pieces and measures 2 feet by 3 feet when assembled. With original artwork and an easy-to-clean surface to keep your toy looking new, this puzzle promises hours of fun.
Suitable for children ages 4 years old and up, the puzzle helps cultivate problem-solving skills and hand-eye coordination.
14. Fantarea Dinosaur Skeleton Fossil
This set comes with 12 small dinosaur fossil figures. A great educational piece that helps your child better understand dinosaur anatomy, this toy encourages learning and exploration.
Each toy is capable of standing on its own. These are small figures, with the Tyrannosaurus rex standing about 2.5 inches tall. For children ages 7 and older.
15. Kidtastic Dinosaur Construct and Play
This 3D dinosaur construction set helps your child build social skills and learn how to troubleshoot difficulties. It encourages patience, spatial and analytic skills, and motor skills, all while having fun.
Ideal for children aged 3–6 years old, these three large and brightly colored dinosaurs are BPA-free, lead-free, and phthalate-free. This set comes with a 1-year warranty and a money-back guarantee.
16. Alphabet Matching Dinosaur Toy
This 52-piece set includes 26 different dinosaurs sporting lowercase and uppercase alphabet letters. Each dinosaur pulls easily apart. Your child can sort and match, learning their uppercase and lowercase letters and how they relate to one another.
Suitable for children 3 years of age and older, this set is entirely non-toxic, lead-free and phthalate-free. It boasts numerous safety certifications, including ATSM and BTSI. It also comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
17. Toysery T-Rex
Not for the faint-hearted, this large dinosaur figure shakes his head and roars while walking, his eyes flashing. Tyrannosaurus rex has never seemed more real or fun than when playing with this engaging toy. Suitable for ages 3 years and up, this product comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
Made with high-quality and durable non-toxic and recyclable ABS plastic, this T-rex is also equipped with an on/off switch to help preserve its battery life.