Your baby’s baths should be a time of joy — after all, they’ll only be this little for such a short time.
In the meantime, enjoy every minute of rubber duckies and baby bathtub seats.
But when you’re preparing the list of your baby’s bathtub essentials, you’ll need one thing you may not think you will — towels and washcloths made just for babies.
Our guide will give you all the information you need to help you choose the best baby towels and washcloths.
Quick ComparisonOur Top Baby Towel Picks of 2019 Read Full Reviews
Why Do I Need Special Towels and Washcloths?
When you already have towels and washcloths, it can feel like a waste to purchase additional ones. But babies have different needs that we do.
Babies don’t need to be scrubbed — they need gentle stroking with a soft washcloth that won’t feel too harsh on their skin.
And as far as towels are concerned, ones designed for adults are far bigger than children need. Plus, babies frequently pee or poop while wrapped up in one. If you don’t want any potential stains on your good towels, you may want to consider baby towels.
Finally, baby towels come with hoods on them so you can keep their head warm as you’re drying them off after their bath.
What Should I Look For?
You’ll have lots of options to choose from when selecting your baby’s towels and washcloths.
Here are some of the things to be on the lookout for.
- Fabric: You can get towels and washcloths made of common fabrics like cotton or flannel, or you can go for a more exotic fabric like bamboo.
- Durability: Whichever fabric you choose should hold up well to repeated washes without pilling, which can turn the softest fabric rough. Cotton tends to pill quite a bit, and the biggest culprit are shorter fibers. Fabrics that are tightly knit won’t pill as much as loosely-knitted ones will (2).
- Absorbency: The longer you have your diaper off your child after their bath, the greater the chance that they’ll pee or poop on you. So you need something that quickly soaks up the water off their skin so you can get a diaper on them pronto to avoid any accidents.
- Whether you want a hood: Hoods are a nice touch to warm up your baby’s head. While they aren’t a necessity, they are practical and so adorable. You’ll love seeing your baby wearing all the cute towels you’ve picked out for them.
How Many Do I Need?
The number of towels and washcloths you need will depend on how often you want to do laundry. Remember, you’ll have a lot less free time than you did before your baby so you may not feel like doing laundry as frequently as you used to.
While they can be reused if you hang them up to dry, it’s best to use a fresh washcloth each time you bath your child.
Since they get fully soaked, they can get hard and rough feeling if you try to reuse one that has been drying in your bathtub. Plus, washcloths can get pretty dirty so you shouldn’t count on reusing one without washing it anyway.
You should be able to get by with three or four towels and seven washcloths if you want to do laundry once a week.
The Best Baby Towels & Washcloths of 2019
Some of the best memories I have of my baby involve all that wonderful post-bath snuggling just before bed time. Though I originally didn’t pay too much attention to the towels I used, I was soon convinced that only the softest and fluffiest would be good enough for her delicate skin. Here are my favorite brands currently on the market.
1. San Francisco Baby Organic Bamboo Towel
Once your baby is squeaky clean, you don’t want a towel to be the thing that damages or irritates their skin. Traditional materials can hold a lot of germs and bacteria after a single use. However, this organic towel provides antibacterial properties while also being super luxurious.
This is because of the special bamboo fabric. Bamboo is naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial, making it safer and gentler for young newborns, infants and toddlers. It also repels odors and is free of chemicals.
By wrapping your little one in this towel after bath time, you’ll protect their sensitive skin and keep them warm as they dry off. If your baby has any skin concerns, such as eczema or diaper rash, this towel is a good choice. Plus, you won’t have to worry about throwing the towel in the wash after every single use.
It’s 40×28, has 500 grams per square meter, and features an adorable animal ear hood.
- Bamboo material is antibacterial and hypoallergenic.
- Super soft and cuddly with cute animal hood.
- Large size helps keep baby dry.
- Doesn’t hold up well to machine washing, with moms noting it comes apart after only a wash or two.
2. Jj Cole Two-Piece Hooded Towel Set
This set comes with a hooded towel and a color-coordinated washcloth. There are six different color options so you’ll find one that goes with your bathroom decor, and the prints are modern and stylish.
Both are machine washable so you don’t have to spend your valuable free time hand washing laundry. As a busy mom, you don’t have time for that. Any shortcuts you can take are tremendously helpful.
They are made of 100 percent cotton terry cloth which absorbs well and feels soft on your baby’s skin.
- It won’t irritate your baby’s skin.
- The has a cute little hood.
- It doesn’t give off a ton of lint while drying.
- 30 inches by 30 inches, so it isn’t as big as some others.
- Some parents felt it was too thin.
3. Luvable Friends Animal Face Hooded Towel
Moms who don’t want their babies to outgrow their towels too soon may like this product because it is a good size — 30 by 36 inches — that’ll fit your infant as they grow into toddlerhood.
Luvable Friends is made out of terry cotton and it comes with a hood to keep your baby’s head feeling snuggly after a warm bath.
Moms who are busy with parenting, work and other obligations will like that this can be put in the washing machine and come out just as fluffy.
Parents who are expecting but don’t know what gender they’ll have will love the adorable, gender-neutral designs.
- These are quite absorbent.
- 20 different animals to choose from.
- Less expensive than many other hooded brands.
- It’s a pretty thin towel.
- It doesn’t hold up well long term.
4. Hudson Baby Animal Face Towel for Girls
If you’re looking for an adorable towel for your baby girl or boy, this one fits the bill, with a wonderful 38 different character designs to choose from. While you dry off your baby’s hair and get a diaper on, you won’t be able to stop kissing their cute little faces.
It’s a good size, too, so your child will be able to use it even as a toddler. Plus it’s absorbent and will suck up the water quickly, so they’ll be ready for their pajamas.
It can be cleaned in the washing machine and the material holds up well even after repeated washes.
- Easy to clean.
- The material is good quality and hard-wearing.
- The hood will keep your baby’s head warm.
- The hood size is pretty large for an infant.
- Although it doesn’t feel rough, it’s not the softest out there.
5. Artyish Premium Hooded Baby Towel
Perfect for Baby Showers
Fluffy, cute, and with a free accessory, this hooded towel set makes a great gift for baby showers.
The towel is made of organic bamboo fabric with 600 grams per square meter. This makes it one of the softest and absorbent towels. Moisture is wicked away quickly while keeping your little one warm and the bamboo has important germ-fighting properties for a sure clean.
It’s 35×35 inches and comes with a fun hood featuring an animal character with ears. The neutral color scheme makes it perfect for both boys and girls. There’s also a hanging loop on the hood so you can easily store the towel to dry.
One of the reasons we love this set is because it includes a free bib and comes in super cute packaging. If you know of a mom with a baby on the way, it’ll make an easy and luxurious gift they can use for years to come.
- Includes a free baby and comes in cute packaging.
- With 600 grams per square meter, it’s the fluffiest towel out there.
- Fun animal design is great for boys and girls.
- The square size is good for most babies, but a toddler will quickly grow out of it.
6. Channing & Yates Hooded Bamboo Towel
Thick and Lovely
When it comes to a baby towel, bigger, softer, and cuter are all good things! Cuddle up with your little one after bathtime with this adorable bamboo hooded towel designed to be extra soft and plush.
With 50 grams per square meter, it’s 50% thicker and heavier than other towels and also sports a rectangle design. Most other hooded towels are square and don’t give you enough fabric to work with. Because of the rectangle design, you can wrap up your baby in the entire length of the towel, keeping them warm and happy.
We also really like that it’s extra large, so it grows with your baby. You’ll be able to use it into the toddler years, which cuts down on the amount of stuff you’ll need to buy as your child gets bigger.
This thick and lovely bath towel is great option for baby showers or other special occasions for mom and baby.
- 50% thicker than other towels, keeping baby warm, dry, and happy.
- Rectangle design means you have plenty of fabric to wrap.
- Extra large size allows it to grow with your baby.
- Moms note it can lose the plush, soft feeling after you wash it.
7. Disney Baby Mickey Mouse Hooded Towel
For the Disney Fans
If you always had a soft spot for all things Disney, these towels will be right up your alley. You can choose from 12 different colors and characters including Mickey Mouse, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh and Minnie Mouse.
These are a respectable 23 by 31 inches, and can be cleaned in the washing machine and dried on low heat in the dryer. Parents who hate to replace towels should be glad to know that they hold up well after repeated washings.
Thick and absorbent, these will help your baby will get dry and warm quickly — and look super cute doing it.
- The are sure to please toddlers because they’ll have their favorite characters.
- The material is nice and thick.
- Has a substantial hood.
- It’s a little more expensive than some others.
- The material isn’t as soft as some other brands.
8. Luvable Friends Washcloths
Cheap and Cheerful
This 12-pack of washcloths comes in coordinated colors and patterns. For moms who like a little variety with patterns and colors, but still want things that match, these might be a good option. You get two white washcloths, as well as four patterned ones and six solid color washcloths.
These are machine washable, which means busy moms won’t have to worry about hand washing them.
And with such a big pack, you can keep some in the bathroom for baths and some in the kitchen to clean your baby up after meal time.
- These are inexpensive.
- You won’t have to do laundry as often with 12 washcloths at your disposal.
- They’re gentle on your baby’s skin.
- One side of the washcloth is rougher than the other — make sure you know which side to use.
- They do shrink a little after being washed and dried.
9. Spasilk Hooded Terry Bath Towel with Washcloths
Good Value Pick
Moms who are on a budget will want to check out this set that comes with two towels and two washcloths. If you’re after a lighter, thinner fabric that you won’t feel guilty about getting dirty, this is it.
They come with hoods to keep your baby extra warm after a bath, and are made from an 80 percent cotton and 20 percent poly blend.
Though they’re soft, they hold up well with repeated washings, which is nice for moms who want their towels to last until their baby outgrows them.
- This set is highly affordable.
- Your washcloths and towels will be color coordinated.
- They’re easy to wrap around your baby because they’re somewhat thin.
- Smaller than some other brands at 30 inches by 26 inches.
- They get soaked pretty quickly because of how thin they are.
10. Spasilk Hooded Bath Bag
Snug as a Bug
A unique twist on the traditional baby bath towel, this bath bag solves the problem of babies who like to kick their towels off in record time. To use this, you simply have it unzipped and ready to go while your baby is in the bathtub. When you take your baby out, put them on top of the unzipped bag, get their feet in and zip up the bath bag.
It comes with a hood to keep your baby’s head warm, and the bottom of the bag is wider so your baby has plenty of room to kick its feet.
- Three different colors to choose from.
- This keeps your baby warm until it’s time to put on their diaper and clothes.
- Your newborn will quickly outgrow this.
- Not as soft as some of the others on the market.
11. Mukin Baby Muslin Washcloths
For Sensitive Souls
This set of five muslin washcloths will feel super soft against your baby’s skin, which is great for moms who have sensitive skin themselves and worry that their baby might be the same.
Parents who are worried about the safety of the fabrics they choose will be relieved to know formaldehyde and decolorizers aren’t used when making these.
These are good-sized washcloths, measuring 12 inches by 12 inches, which is much bigger than the standard size on the market. After your baby grows up, they’ll still be big enough to use for the whole family.
- They’re hypoallergenic.
- These are six layers thick.
- A great option for children who suffer from eczema.
- Although you can machine wash these, it’s recommended to hand wash and line dry them.
- They do get a little linty after repeated washings.
The Bottom Line
It can be easy to rush your child’s bath time because of your busy daily schedule, but take a few minutes to slow down and enjoy the experience!
Over to you — are you a cute prints and animal characters kind of mom or do you prefer a plain white baby towel with no frills? Tell us about it in the comments!