- Meaning: Patricia is derived from the Latin word “patrician,” which means “noble.”
- Gender: Patricia is a female name.
- Origin: Patricia began as a given name in Scotland in the 18th century
- Pronunciation: “puh-trih-shuh”
- Popularity: Patricia was very popular throughout the mid-20th century. As of 2019, it ranks 939th in the United States.
- Nicknames: Pat, Patsy, Patti, Pattie, Patty, Tricia, Trish, Trisha, Trixie
- Variations: Pádraigín, Patrice, Patrícia, Patricie, Patricija, Patrīcija, Patritsiya, Patritsiya, Patrizia, Patrycja.
- Namesakes: Patricia Arquette, Pat Benatar, Patricia “Tricia” Nixon Cox, Patricia Cornwell, Patricia Gaztañaga.
- What Does Patricia Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Patricia?
- How Popular Is the Name Patricia?
- How Do I Pronounce Patricia?
- Is Patricia a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Patricia
- Nicknames for Patricia
- Similar Name to Patricia
- Middle Names for Patricia
- Sibling Names for Patricia
- Famous People Named Patricia
- Patricia in Popular Culture
- Patricia FAQs
What Does Patricia Mean?
Patricia is a lovely female given name that stems back to Latin roots. It comes from the word “patrician,” which means “noble.” It has variations in many languages. The masculine form of Patricia is Patrick, a common boy’s given name throughout the world.
What Is the Origin of the Name Patricia?
Patricia’s origins go back to the Latin word “patrician.” A patrician was a member of the ruling class, or a noble, in ancient Rome. The name denotes a high status because all patricians descended from the first 100 senators of Rome (1).
However, Patricia didn’t appear as a female given name until the 19th century in Scotland. Although the first girl named Patricia is unknown, the name gained popularity due to Queen Victoria’s granddaughter, Princess Patricia of Connaught.
The name’s popularity spread as more people chose Patricia for their daughters. It has variations in dozens of languages and a long list of diminutives, or nicknames.
How Popular Is the Name Patricia?
Patricia’s initial rise to popularity came in the 19th century with Princess Patricia of Connaught. After that, it spread across the world, and by 1900, it held the 362nd spot in the United States. Patricia began to rise steadily over the next few decades. From 1929 through 1966, it was very popular, holding various places in the top ten.
Patricia began a gradual decline in the second half of the 20th century. By the year 2000, it fell to 226th. As of 2019, it ranked 939th for girls’ names in the United States (2).
How Do I Pronounce Patricia?
The proper pronunciation of Patricia is puh-trih-shuh.
Is Patricia a Boy or Girl Name?
Patricia is a common girl’s name in the United States and worldwide. You won’t find boys named Patricia, but you’ll come across many boys named Patrick, Patricia’s masculine form.
Variations of Patricia
Because Patricia became popular so quickly, many countries adopted various spellings and pronunciations. Today, you can find nearly a dozen variations in different languages and countries.
- Pádraigín (Irish)
- Patrice (English)
- Patrícia (Hungarian, Portuguese, Slovak)
- Patricie (Czech)
- Patricija (Croatian, Slovene)
- Patrīcija (Latvian)
- Patritsiya (Bulgarian)
- Patritsiya (Russian)
- Patrizia (Italian)
- Patrycja (Polish)
Nicknames for Patricia
Patricia is a classic, regal-sounding name. It also has a wide range of options for nicknames. You can choose something simple like Pat, or make it “cute” with Trixie or Ricki.
Similar Name to Patricia
If you like the name Patricia but want to find something a little different, you’re in luck. Here are a few options that have a similar classic feel to Patricia.
- Alexandra (Alex, Lexie, Lexa)
- Barbara (Barb, Barbie)
- Cassandra (Cassie, Sandy, Sandra)
- Kathleen (Kassie, Kat, Kathy)
- Marcia (Marci)
- Pamela (Pam)
- Patience (Pat, Pattie, Patty)
- Sharon (Shari)
Middle Names for Patricia
Patricia is a strong given name. So, you’ll need to find an equally strong middle name to make it perfect. Here are some examples of middle names that’ll make Patricia shine.
Sibling Names for Patricia
Many parents like to give their children names that complement one another. If you’re looking to name Patricia’s brother or sister, here are a few suggestions to consider.
Sister Names for Patricia
Brother Names for Patricia
Famous People Named Patricia
Patricia has been a popular name for several hundred years. It became more trendy in the 20th century, including for famous figures.
- Patricia Arquette: American actress
- Pat Benatar: American singer
- Patricia “Tricia” Nixon Cox: Daughter of President Richard Nixon
- Patricia Cornwell: American author
- Patricia Gaztañaga: Spanish television presenter
- Patricia Highsmith: American author
- Patricia Lemoine: French politician
- Patricia Magtanong: Miss International Philippines 2019
- Patricia Medina: British actress
- Patricia Ruanne: British ballerina
- Patricia Woodlock: British artist and suffragette
Patricia in Popular Culture
You’ll come across characters named Patricia in television shows, movies, and books. Here are a few popular examples of Patricia in pop culture.
- Patricia Eden: a character from You’ve Got Mail
- Patricia Fearing: character in Never Say Never Again
- Patty Halliwell: a character on Charmed
- Patricia Logan: a character from Jerry Maguire
- Patricia Robertson: a character from Marvel Comics
- Patricia Whitmore: a character from Independence Day
- Patricia Williamson: a character from House of Anubis
Are you still curious about the name Patricia? Here are some answers to common questions about this classic name.