- Meaning: Odette means wealthy.
- Gender: Female.
- Origin: French, German.
- Pronunciation: “oh-deht”
- Popularity: Not popular in the US.
- Nicknames: Ode, Etty.
- Variations: Odet, Odetta.
- Namesakes: Odette the Swan Princess; Odette Hallowes, British spy.
- What Does Odette Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Odette?
- How Popular is the Name Odette?
- How Do I Pronounce Odette?
- Is Odette a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Odette
- Nicknames for Odette
- Similar Names to Odette
- Middle Names for Odette
- Sibling Names for Odette
- Famous People Named Odette
- Odette in Popular Culture
- Odette FAQs
What Does Odette Mean?
The name Odette means “wealthy.”
What is the Origin of the Name Odette?
Odette originates in France. However, the name is a diminutive form of the German name Oda or the French word, auda.
How Popular is the Name Odette?
While other old-fashioned names are making a comeback in the 21st century, Odette does not seem to be making such a splash in the United States. The name was at its peak in popularity when it was the 843rd most popular name in 1905. From that point, Odette drifted down in popularity, never entering the top 1,000 names in the United States again.
Over the rest of the 20th century, this name’s popularity rose and dipped. Odette was least popular in 1990 when it was the 9,931st most popular name in the United States. After that, Odette’s popularity continued to vary. The name’s popularity started to crawl higher in popularity over the 21st century. By 2021 Odette was the 2,671st most popular name in the United States (1).
This name has a different story in France. The name had some popularity for a few centuries. In 1900 the name was the 67th most popular girl’s name in France. It peaked in 1925 when it was the 5th most popular name in France. Odette was in the top 20 names in France from 1910 to 1937.
From that point, the name had a steady journey down in popularity. By 1977 the name ranked at 470, and the popularity was so low that there is no significant data since then.
How Do I Pronounce Odette?
Pronounce the name Odette like “oh-deht.”
Is Odette a Boy or Girl Name?
Odette is a name most given to girls.
Variations of Odette
Odette does not have a large number of variations. However, the variations it has are gorgeous. If you like Odette, but want a bit of a spin, these variations are a great way to go about everything.
Nicknames for Odette
Odette is a simple name, but it lends itself well to nicknames. These nicknames come from the name itself, but you can also add on to the name to make some cute nicknames.
Similar Names to Odette
In some cases, you may prefer a name that is similar to Odette rather than Odette itself. These names have similar aspects to Odette. For example, they may have similar sounds, similar popularity levels, or similar origins.
Middle Names for Odette
Since Odette is such an uncommon name, you can balance it out with a more common name, or you can find an equally uncommon middle name. Several lengths of names can work with Odette since it is at a comfortable two syllables. Try middle names that have some sounds in common with Odette.
Sibling Names for Odette
As if naming one child was not hard enough, naming a second child is an even bigger challenge. Not only do you need to pick out a name that provides an element of your child’s identity, but you also need a name that does not sound odd to your existing child’s name. When it comes to finding a name for Odette’s sibling, consider names that have a similar origin, similar sounds, or a similar degree of popularity.
Famous People Named Odette
Thanks to its popularity in France, the most famous people with this name are French. There are not a lot of recent Odettes, thanks to the overall lack of popularity of the name. As a result, many of the people on this list are from the 20th century and before.
- Odette de Champdivers: chief mistress of King Charles VI of France.
- Odette Annable: American actress.
- Odette Bancilhon: French astronomer.
- Odette Barsa: American lingerie designer.
- Odette Drand: French fencer.
- Odette Dulac: French actress and singer.
- Odette England: Australian-British photographer.
- Odette Hallowes: British spy.
- Odette Joyeux: French actress, playwright, and novelist.
- Odette Kahn: French wine critic.
- Odette Le Fontenay: French opera singer and voice teacher.
- Odette Lusien: French swimmer.
- Odette Myrtil: French-born American actress and musician.
- Odette Nyiramilimo: Rwandan physician and politician.
- Odette Pavlova: Russian fashion model.
- Odette Richard: South African rhythmic gymnast.
- Odette Siko: French auto racing driver.
- Odette Tchernine: British writer.
- Odette Valery: Italian dancer.
- Odette Vidal de Oliveira: Brazilian child saint.
Odette in Popular Culture
Odette is not a particularly common name in popular culture. It is the main character of Swan Lake, a story and ballet. This important cultural touchstone plays a role in other uses of the name Odette, such as in The Swan Princess.
- Odette: Swan Lake.
- Odette Swann: Remembrance of Things Past, In Search of Lost Time.
- Odette Sansom: Odette.
- Odette: the main character from The Swan Princess.
- Odette: Singaporean restaurant.
- Odette: Play by Victorien Sardou.
- Odette: Ballet by Jules Perrot.