- Meaning: Loki means trickster god. It may also be a derivative of an Old Norse word that means to lock or close.
- Gender: Loki is typically a boy’s name. Very few girls have been named Loki.
- Origin: Loki has Old Norse origins.
- Pronunciation: “LO-kee”
- Popularity: Loki has always been a very rare name in the United States. It was most popular in 2014 when 111 babies were given the name. This name is more popular in Scandanavia.
- Nicknames: Kiki, Laci, Logan, Loko, Lucja, Luka, Lux.
- Variations: Loke.
- Namesakes: Loki Crichton, Samoan rugby player; Loki Laufeyson, a character in Marvel comics and movies; Loki Schmidt, German environmentalist.
What Does Loki Mean?
The name Loki means trickster god, but it can also mean deceitful, sneaky, or unworthy, as Loki is the name of the Norse god of mischief.
Loki is believed to have derived from the German word luka, meaning knot or lock, or it may be a derivative of the Old Norse word lúka, meaning to lock or close.
What Is the Origin of the Name Loki?
The name Loki is of Old Norse origins and is the name of a god in Norse mythology.
How Popular Is the Name Loki?
The name Loki is very rare. In the United States, less than 1,500 boys have been named Loki, and less than 50 girls have received the same name.
Loki is more prevalent in Oregon and Wisconsin than in the rest of the United States. In 2014, Loki was the most popular it has ever been in the United States.
Loki is a more popular name in Scandinavia, as Norse mythology originated in Scandinavia.
How Do I Pronounce Loki?
Loki is pronounced “LO-kee.”
Is Loki a Boy or Girl Name?
Loki is typically considered a boy’s name across the globe, but it is occasionally used as a girl’s name.
Variations of Loki
Do you like the name Loki because it is so unique? You may also like this modern, bold variation:
- Loke (Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish)
Nicknames for Loki
Your child cannot choose his name at birth, but he can determine his nickname. Those named Loki may add extra flair with these nicknames:
Similar Names to Loki
Is the name Loki not quite what you want? Consider these names that are similar to Loki in their meaning, origin, or sound:
Middle Names for Loki
The hardest decision is choosing a first name for your child, but middle names can also be tricky. Some popular middle names for Loki are:
Sibling Names for Loki
It always feels good to plan ahead. If you are considering having more children, keep these sibling names in mind.
Famous People Named Loki
Children need to have positive role models in their lives. Those named Loki can look up to these famous people who share their name:
- Loki Crichton: Samoan rugby player.
- Loki Schmidt: German environmentalist.
- Tim Lokiec: American artist.
Loki in Pop Culture
The name Loki makes a few notable appearances in pop culture, for example:
- Loki: a character in Loki: A Novel.
- Loki: a character in the movie Dogma.
- Loki Freezis: a character in the Evilious Chronicles.
- Loki Laufeyson: a character in Marvel comics and movies.
Do you want to learn more about Loki before making your final decision? Below are a few frequently asked questions about the name Loki.