- Meaning: Luka can mean either “light” or “bringer of light” in Latin as well as “person from Lucania” in Greek and Italian-dominant contexts.
- Gender: Luka is gender-neutral, used for boys and girls. Luka is more popular as a masculine name in the United States.
- Origin: Luka is a variation on the name Luca, which itself comes from the Latin given name Lucas.
- Pronunciation: “LOO-Kuh” – The name rhymes with the words “bazooka” or “Barracuda.”
- Popularity: Luka is a popular name in the United States, becoming the 115th most popular name for boys in 2021.
- Nicknames: Loca, Loki, Loo, Lou, Lu, Luke, Lulu.
- Variations: Lluc, Louka, Loukas, Luc, Luca, Lucas, Lúcás, Lukács, Lukas, Lukáš, Łukasz, Luke, Luukas.
- Namesakes: Luka Dončić,Luka Modrić,Luka Sabbat.
What Does Luka Mean?
Depending on the area, Luka can mean many different things. When derived from the Latin given names Luca and Lucas, Luka means “light” or “bringer of light.” When derived from the Latin word “lucus”, the name is associated with “sacred wood” and sacred rituals.
When used in Italy, the name Luka typically means a person from the Lucania region. Lucania is an ancient region in southern Italy and was a Greek-dominant area before the takeover by Lucanians (1).
The association with light is the most well-known meaning of the name Luka. Luka is considered a strong and bright name.
What Is the Origin of the Name Luka?
Luka is a variation on the name Luca, which itself comes from the Latin given name Lucas (2). The name Lucas is historically significant, as it was prominent in Ancient Greece, Rome, and Syria. Lucas appears in the Christian and Hebrew bibles and is one of the authors of the chapters or books in the bible, writing over a quarter of the New Testament (3).
Due to their association with the bible, Luca, Luka, and Lucas all became popular names among Christian communities. While the names Luca and Lucas are more popular in Latin and English regions (such as Italy and the United Kingdom), Luka has become the most popular variation in Slavic-speaking countries such as Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Slovenia, and Croatia.
How Popular Is the Name Luka?
Luka has been a popular given name in Slavic-speaking countries for years but recently gained popularity in the United States. The name Luka first entered the top 1000 most popular names for boys in the United States in 2004, when it reached the rank of #847.
Since 2004, Luka has steadily grown in popularity. It entered the top 500 names in 2016 when it reached the rank of #470.
In 2021, Luka became the 115th most popular name for boys in the United States. The name is likely to enter the top 100 in the future.
Although Luka is a gender-neutral name, it never entered the top 1000 names for girls in the United States (4).
How Do I Pronounce Luka?
Luka is pronounced, “LOO-Kuh.” The name rhymes with the words “bazooka” or “Barracuda.”
Is Luka a Boy or Girl Name?
Luka is a gender-neutral name. Luka is more popular as a masculine name in the United States. The variation Luca is typically considered more feminine.
Variations of Luka
Due to its association with the bible and its long history, there are many variations of Luka:
- Lluc (Catalan)
- Louka (French)
- Loukas (Biblical Greek)
- Luc (French, Welsh)
- Luca (Italian)
- Lucas (Biblical Latin)
- Lúcás (Irish)
- Lukács (Hungarian)
- Lukas (Dutch, Danish, German, Norwegian)
- Lukáš (Czech)
- Łukasz (Polish)
- Luke (Biblical)
- Luukas (Finnish)
Nicknames for Luka
Even short names like Luka have a few nicknames.
Similar Names to Luka
These names share similar origins to the name Luka, including Latin and Slavic.
Middle Names for Luka
Because it is a short name, Luka fits well with many classic and more unique middle names.
Sibling Names for Luka
Many of these Slavic and Latin names are gender-neutral or unisex, meaning they work for any sibling of Luka.
Luka’s brother’s name could be:
Luka’s sister’s name could be:
Famous People Named Luka
There are many famous Lukas throughout history, especially in the sports world.
- Luka Bloom: Irish singer-songwriter.
- Luka Dončić: Slovenian basketball player.
- Luka Garza: American-Bosnian basketball player.
- Luka Jones: American actor and comedian.
- Luka Modrić: Croatian soccer player.
- Luka Sabbat: American actor known for his role in the TV series “Grown-ish.”
Luka in Popular Culture
Luka has been a popular name for many famous fictional characters.
- Luka Coffaine: Character in the TV series “Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir.”
- Luka Kovač: Character in the TV series “ER.”
- Luka Macken: Character in the Japanese anime “Black Butler.”
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the name Luka.